Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

R15 Stop Responding to Remote

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   barney34

barney34

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:19 PM

I see post in 2008 and 2006. Im new to the R15 world just over from Tivo. Anyways I notice quite very often when a show is paused for more than 3 minutes the remote no longer works. Most of the time not all the time if I push a button on the unit itself the show will begin to play and the remote is working again.

16 sets of batteries. 9 remotes. 1 sacrificed chicken. several prayers nothing works but physical access to the box.

Edited by barney34, 14 January 2010 - 09:01 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:21 PM

16 sets of batteries. 9 remotes. 1 sacraficed chicken. several prayer nothing works but physical access to the box.

Well, you've tried everything I would have suggested. :D

#3 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,226 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:24 PM

He forgot the goat. :)

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#4 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 15 January 2010 - 06:34 PM

Very bizarre. I have never heard of this happening with an R15 before.

After it starts "ignoring" the remote, does the power light blink briefly when you press a button on the remote? Normally it does signifying reception of the command.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#5 OFFLINE   barney34

barney34

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 08:40 PM

Very bizarre. I have never heard of this happening with an R15 before.

After it starts "ignoring" the remote, does the power light blink briefly when you press a button on the remote? Normally it does signifying reception of the command.

Yes. Caveat.... The first press sends the circle of lights in a chaseing pattern and the screen saver goes off. All subsequent presses the power light blinks and the record graph flashes either on or off the TV opposite on its previous state.

#6 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,542 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 09:36 AM

Have you checked for IR interference in the room? The backlight in LCD TVs can contribute to this, as can CFL lighting and another remote with a stuck button.

When you have the problem, try the remote up close to the unit.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#7 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,837 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 17 January 2010 - 09:46 AM

Have you checked for IR interference in the room? The backlight in LCD TVs can contribute to this, as can CFL lighting and another remote with a stuck button.

I'd suggest turning off the TV when this happens and see of the problem goes away. If it does, the OP might try turning the R15 to one side or the other or putting a filter over the sensor.

An RF remote would be an alternative approach.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#8 OFFLINE   thecougarguy

thecougarguy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:21 PM

My R15 started to act up yesterday and not respond to remote commands. I rebooted the box several times and I'm still having problems today. The remote will work fine then stops responding. The light on the R15 DOES NOT blink. If I press buttons on the box it will respond and the remote will work for a while. I've tried 2 remotes with fresh batteries with no luck. Also, I have not had any picture quality issues. I would think if it was a drive problem, I would see pixelation or other symptoms.

Edited by thecougarguy, 18 January 2010 - 04:27 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   swillotter

swillotter

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:12 PM

i'm a service tech for directv and have gone to about 5-10 calls where the r15 will not respond to a remote...9 of them the ir sensor failed we don't carry spare rf remotes so they had to be replaced...only one time had the customer "accidentaly" programed his non rf remote for rf and was able to change it back....have only seen this problem with other receivers maybe once or twice

i can't type right on this tiny note ook

Edited by swillotter, 18 January 2010 - 07:13 PM.
bad spelling

spam firewall