Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

I know you mostly hear about problems, but...

5 lnb install

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio DMA

Posted 15 January 2010 - 08:21 PM

...the R15s seem to be overrepresented here in terms of trouble. Are they that bad? Or are they just that ubiquitous?

I ask because a couple days ago my old DirecTiVo DSR704 finally gave up the ghost after something like 6-7 years of service, and D* is sending me a replacement SD DVR for it. Based on what I've been reading, that may be most likely to be an R15.

Hope it isn't a dud. I liked the TiVo interface, but we mostly watch in the living room on the bigger HD screen and the HR20. So at least the interface would be more familiar.
My stuff: D* HR20-700 (living room) / R15 (bedroom) / OTA 91XG+YA1713+HDP269 / Harmony 880

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,398 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 08:32 PM

Could very well be an R16. I have a 4 year old R15 that has served me well. Either one should be fine, the R15's had some probls early on, but have been solid now.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#3 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 January 2010 - 06:44 AM

Yup. While I like the advanced features of my R22 (and some other features it has), my R15 has been very solid. It is very quick in loading up the List and Guide and with changing channels. and has not bugged out on me except for once in quite a long time.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#4 OFFLINE   ZBM2 ZAR3

ZBM2 ZAR3

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 03:16 PM

Got "D" service almost two years now; activated with an R15-500. Works fine.

#5 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 03:38 PM

R15's also hold the majority share for standard def dvr's. In fact the R16 just start showing back up again. I'm sure we could dig up the first look but the R15 has been out for a long time and is still the main one used for installation.

#6 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 691 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio DMA

Posted 16 January 2010 - 05:14 PM

Yep, just got it: R15, manufactured in 2006. Hopefully whatever was wrong with it (if anything) was fixed....
My stuff: D* HR20-700 (living room) / R15 (bedroom) / OTA 91XG+YA1713+HDP269 / Harmony 880

#7 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 16 January 2010 - 05:49 PM

Yep, just got it: R15, manufactured in 2006. Hopefully whatever was wrong with it (if anything) was fixed....

There might not have been anything wrong with it. Perhaps it was returned by someone who just canceled DirecTV (or upgraded to HD).

I have a 2005 R15-300 with the original HDD and I watch it every day. I got it "reconditioned" too but I bet nothing was ever wrong with it.

While most of the posters on this system are HD fanboys, you might be surprised just how many people switch from cable to DirecTV as a new customer and DON'T get HD service (but they DO get an SD DVR). My neighbor two doors down did just two weeks ago and her new dish sure isn't a slimline!! (HD)

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#8 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 06:09 PM

There might not have been anything wrong with it. Perhaps it was returned by someone who just canceled DirecTV (or upgraded to HD).

I have a 2005 R15-300 with the original HDD and I watch it every day. I got it "reconditioned" too but I bet nothing was ever wrong with it.

While most of the posters on this system are HD fanboys, you might be surprised just how many people switch from cable to DirecTV as a new customer and DON'T get HD service (but they DO get an SD DVR). My neighbor two doors down did just two weeks ago and her new dish sure isn't a slimline!! (HD)

Blasphemous!

#9 OFFLINE   crkeehn

crkeehn

Godfather

• Registered
  • 350 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 12:59 PM

I just visited my wife where she's living now. She has just had DirecTV installed. She got a large dish with three LNB's, I have no idea what it is. She also got an R-15 manufactured some time in 2007. I'm sorry I couldn't have been there for the installation, it looks like the installer did a crappy job and she didn't know enough to recognize it.

#10 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,144 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:45 PM

A large dish with 3 LNBs could be either the Phase III dish, or a Slimline dish. The Phase III has an LNB arm that has the 3 LNBs spaced evenly across (one left, one center, one right). The Slimline would have the three LNB housings spaced center and two off to the same side with the other side empty. Incidentally, that is really a 5 LNB dish (there are 3 in one of the housings).

#11 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:47 PM

Cool! You're going to love some of the new features, coming from the old TiVo-based DVR's...

Like one-click recording in the guide.
Like 30 second skipahead.
Like dash-dash to delete an entire folder of programs.

Lots of goodness in the R15 & R16 products... don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

#12 OFFLINE   erosroadie

erosroadie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:58 PM

Cool! You're going to love some of the new features, coming from the old TiVo-based DVR's...

Lots of goodness in the R15 & R16 products... don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

If you'd rather stick with the TiVo system, I have an old D*TiVo R10 I might sell to you. Works great, just haven't used it since I upgraded to an HR10-250 a couple of years ago. Send me a PM if your interested...

#13 OFFLINE   crkeehn

crkeehn

Godfather

• Registered
  • 350 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:29 AM

A large dish with 3 LNBs could be either the Phase III dish, or a Slimline dish. The Phase III has an LNB arm that has the 3 LNBs spaced evenly across (one left, one center, one right). The Slimline would have the three LNB housings spaced center and two off to the same side with the other side empty. Incidentally, that is really a 5 LNB dish (there are 3 in one of the housings).

Thank you, I think it was a Phase III dish.

#14 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 23 January 2010 - 08:16 PM

Actually, you can't delete an entire folder of shows on the R15 yet. That feature is just enabled on the HR2x/R22 series. And I'm NOT unhappy about it either!! A powerful feature like that can often be actived in error and POOF! there go all your favorite shows by mistake!!

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 5 lnb install

Protected By... spam firewall...And...