Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Any Hava users here?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   IndyMichael

IndyMichael

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:16 AM

I've ordered the HAVA Titanium HDTV box with Wi-Fi from Amazon.com for $149. It was free shipping, but not Prime shipping, so I doubt I'll get it until late next week at the earliest. If you have a Hava unit, any hints or suggestions how to get the most out of it would be appreciated.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 12:44 PM

I have the Platinum HD. Works well overall.

I had a ton of issues in the beginning where the on PC setup would not run, but then found out it was something with my ethernet card drivers (updated them and no problems since). Unit works great with my Directv receivers and has a great picture quality locally.

My upload speed is not the greatest so remote viewing is so-so, but still works fine.

The iPod/iPhone app works very well too.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#3 OFFLINE   RobbieB

RobbieB

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:56 PM

Indy how did your setup go and what is your review of the Hava? do you have Direct or Dish? I'm curious about the remote control feature and the connections to the device.

The photo I saw on amazon had small headphone like connectors in the back...definitely doesn't look like component cabling so I wondered what the deal was until I saw some other pics where it looks like there are component cables with a custom male end that plugs into the hava... is that right?

I was thinking about getting one of these because I almost have enough amazon gift cards to cover the whole shebang :P

My main use would be on my laptop in bed... figuring to connect the hava over ethernet and my laptop on wifi. Even though I already have my dual dvr with Dish, the appeal of recording to your computer drm free is pretty awesome.

I'm a little disappointed to hear there's no hdmi. I'm currently using component for my tv and since the dish dvr outputs are all live I would have just assumed to use the hdmi out to the hava;but maybe that's how they get away with the drm free dvr ability?

#4 OFFLINE   IndyMichael

IndyMichael

Legend/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:36 PM

Setup went good, had to call their tech support over a firewall issue. First guy I talked to, I couldn't understand a word he said, so I hung up and called again, this time getting a great guy who figured things out quickly.

Picture quality is great on my laptop and desktop comps. It's a simple numbers remote on my laptop and a full size Directv remote on my desktop.

Only thing I can't get it to work easily on is my iPod Touch. To use it, I have to turn my router/modem's firewall off, get hava going, then turn the firewall back on.

All in all, the hava unit does everything it says it will do.

#5 OFFLINE   PTown

PTown

Legend

• Registered
  • 199 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:50 PM

Eeesh. I've seen that unit go for $80 brand new! :eek2:

#6 OFFLINE   IndyMichael

IndyMichael

Legend/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 22 March 2010 - 04:22 PM

Eeesh. I've seen that unit go for $80 brand new! :eek2:

The Titanium HDTV box with Wi-Fi for $80? If so was it a refurb? I've seen the base Hava units for around that price, but now I don't see the Titanium HDTV box with Wi-Fi anywhere for under $175.

#7 OFFLINE   IndyMichael

IndyMichael

Legend/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 22 March 2010 - 04:24 PM

I finally got around to emailing Hava support, they replied within 24 hours and now Hava works everywhere on my iPod Touch.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...