Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DBSTalk First Look: Multi-Room Viewing Opt-in Beta

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
409 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:50 PM

Actually, DECA isn't crap .. It's a very elegant solution for this .. But there should be no reason you can't use your home network if you set it up yourself.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:51 PM

I have always found the DirecTV to be reasonable on their networking offerings. Their wireless adapters are at least $10 cheaper than any online retailer. So I really don't think that they inflate their prices.

No, my understanding is that DIRECTV isn't trying to make money off of the networking equipment .. more just recouping costs. The bigger reason for them using certain equipment is because it's the the right equipment for the particular task.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#23 OFFLINE   steveken

steveken

Godfather

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:03 PM

This biggest question of all is something someone like me has been wanting to know for a long time.... What about people who have an H20 or other receivers that do not have an Ethernet port and really want to use MRV and are willing to pay the monthly fee for the service?

I have talked to DirecTV on the phone until I am blue in the face and just can NOT get them to set me up with a receiver with an Ethernet port on it to replace my H20-100. I even tried to talk to the installer who installed my service when I moved about it and got no where even though the Movers Connection phone agent told me that she put specifically on the work order to replace my old receiver with an H21 or better with an Ethernet port. Heck, the SD DVR that they gave me for free as part of the Movers Connection is even an old R16 (I think) that doesn't have an Ethernet port on it.

So, I am stuck with older equipment that can't take advantage of new services that DirecTV will offer and I want to use. I don't feel I should have to go out to Nice Try and buy an H21 or H23 myself just to get something that will cost more to use anyway. I have been a customer way too long. I think I deserve some help on this from DirecTV. Do I actually expect anything like this to happen? Of course not, but it sure would be nice.

#24 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:15 PM

steveken... details are still sketchy but I can tell you that there will be an upgrade path for people with incompatible receivers or network topologies.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#25 OFFLINE   kramer

kramer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:20 PM

The networking solution that DIRECTV will be supporting is the DECA solution which connects the receivers using the Satellite Cabling of your receiver. You must have a SWiM for this to work.

So will it be using your network? No.

Doug,

So are you saying that not only will there be a fee but equipment charges too?

#26 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:28 PM

Doug,

Possibly, but if you are already networked, you can use your home network. DECA will be the network configuration supported by DIRECTV.

#27 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,998 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:34 PM

Possibly, but if you are already networked, you can use your home network.

Of course there will be some requirements that your network will need to meet in order for MRV to work, I haven't seen those published though. But I would guess don't expect an 802.11b wireless network to be able to handle the bandwidth needs, so YMMV depending on your network infrastructure.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#28 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:41 PM

Doug,

Bingo bango!

#29 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,944 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:45 PM

Of course there will be some requirements that your network will need to meet in order for MRV to work, I haven't seen those published though. But I would guess don't expect an 802.11b wireless network to be able to handle the bandwidth needs, so YMMV depending on your network infrastructure.

I don't see it either. G might work for SD, but I honestly don't see good performance for MRV without a N network.

I can understand DirecTV wanting to use DECA. Much easier to support from a CSR level.

#30 OFFLINE   steveken

steveken

Godfather

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:47 PM

Heh, I seriously doubt even a G network would cover it. In my case, I am all set for whenever my equipment gets to where I can do MRV because I have my house networked with a gigabit switch in the wiring closet with some open ports. :) One thing I made sure of when the house was being built was decent wiring in the walls in all the rooms. :)

#31 OFFLINE   Garyunc

Garyunc

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:59 PM

I might be willing to pay the MRV fee if they cut me a deal on upgrading the 2 H20s that I have that are not network capable.

So when should we expect to get this beta in the National release? (I do already have 2 HR-2x that are networked).

#32 OFFLINE   jasonki32

jasonki32

Godfather

• Registered
  • 327 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:07 PM

I might be willing to pay the MRV fee if they cut me a deal on upgrading the 2 H20s that I have that are not network capable.

So when should we expect to get this beta in the National release? (I do already have 2 HR-2x that are networked).

Should start see the roll out in the next week(s) and will be staggered for the next few weeks.
HR24-500 Sony 46" LCD
HR24-500 Samsung 52" LCD
HR22-100 Sony 46" LCD
HR21-200 Sony 27"LCD
SWiM16 + DECA

#33 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Icon

• Registered
  • 554 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:53 PM

Next they need to let us access our receivers over the internet like a slingbox. Like I'm in Boston and able to reach back to my HR2X back in San Diego.
It's only tv!

#34 OFFLINE   Ashtonian

Ashtonian

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:27 AM

So that cowboy can climb out of my living room TV and into my kitchen TV just like that phone company advert.

#35 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:49 AM

Possibly, but if you are already networked, you can use your home network. DECA will be the network configuration supported by DIRECTV.

Doug, let's ask this another way: I have an SWiM8 and two networked HR2x in the same rack. One TV. I have no need for MRV and would like to avoid a merged playlist. The network is for DoD, and the 2 DVRs are for bandwidth.

I hope that I will be able to not have MRV, and not pay for it.

(having read the pdf now ... obviously I can ignore MRV in the beta, not sure what will trigger billing in the actual)

Edited by gully_foyle, 20 January 2010 - 01:03 AM.

DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#36 OFFLINE   allenn

allenn

Icon

• Registered
  • 702 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:10 AM

Thanks for the great heads-up on the winter release.

I hope D* does a better job with MRV than they have with Media Sharing which is still in beta. Also, how long will MRV be in beta?

It's funny that AT&T Uverse and Dish have MRV which work.

#37 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:20 AM

Doug, let's ask this another way: I have an SWiM8 and two networked HR2x in the same rack. One TV. I have no need for MRV and would like to avoid a merged playlist. The network is for DoD, and the 2 DVRs are for bandwidth.

I hope that I will be able to not have MRV, and not pay for it.

(having read the pdf now ... obviously I can ignore MRV in the beta, not sure what will trigger billing in the actual)

You have to Opt-In to the Beta. If you don't want MRV, then do nothing .. you won't have it.

As for future, when it is billed? I don't know how that will work yet. But it won't be turned on unless you accept it, that is for sure. I just don't know if you will be able to add it via remote control or not.

#38 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:25 AM

I hope D* does a better job with MRV than they have with Media Sharing which is still in beta. Also, how long will MRV be in beta?

I have no idea

It's funny that AT&T Uverse and Dish have MRV which work.

DISH has MRV that is very different from the way DIRECTV does it. Uverse is similar. The way DISH does it is by having a "two TV" set top box, so you have to distribute the video signal (instead of the SAT signal) for it to work. Also, it's only to one other room. DIRECTV's MRV will work in multiple rooms (depending on equipment) and will go both directions if both STBs are HD DVRs.

#39 OFFLINE   OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:07 AM

I don't see it either. G might work for SD, but I honestly don't see good performance for MRV without a N network.

I can understand DirecTV wanting to use DECA. Much easier to support from a CSR level.

I have a Linksys wireless G router, with 3 DVR's, a PC, and my Xbox all hardwired. MRV is working perfectly.

I hope those of us with a reliable, independently maintained network setup aren't in trouble. It sounds like only DECA will be supported by DIRECTV, though you can still "opt in" as long as your receivers are already networked.

I too, ran CAT6 wire anticipating much use of this feature. Honestly, I'm worried about the unclear "charge" for the use of this service, and how it may differ between the DECA and independent network setups. I won't go debating the ethics of the charge for MRV in this thread, as I know it is still unclearly defined and a subject of passion for many CE'ers.
My setup:

HR21-700, LG 42" 42LB5D (HDMI)

R22-200 w/HD, RCA 32" tube (S-video)

HR22-100, Samsung 58" PN58B550 (HDMI)
Xbox 360 (HDMI)
Denon AVR 2311CI (7.2)
MonoPrice in-wall speakers

#40 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:20 AM

If SWM is required if a person goes with DirecTV's DECA (which sounds as if that will be required to get MRV) will SWM be installed at no charge? Will there be a "lease" fee for that also?
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...