Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DBSTalk First Look: Multi-Room Viewing Opt-in Beta

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
409 replies to this topic

#401 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 12:33 PM

I have heard that this Beta will last approximately 3 months.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#402 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Icon

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 12:55 PM

I need 5 seconds more buffer for HD content. It's working fine for SD. HD has been hit or miss. 2 HR20's (1 connected LAN cable to WRT400N (N only @ 5ghz to Linksys N reciever at the other end)

Pausing the DVR doesn't seem to stop the hiccups while in MRV.

Edited by Rob, 25 January 2010 - 01:09 PM.

It's only tv!

#403 OFFLINE   Rob Dawn

Rob Dawn

AllStar

• Registered
  • 101 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 25 January 2010 - 04:08 PM

Slightly off topic but if I upgrade a leased R15 to an HR2x, how long will I have to return the R15?
(I plan on doing this upgrade once MRV/DECA is out of beta - assuming equipment and monthly charges are reasonable!! - and I always have stuff on the R15 to watch, so I just want to be prepared for how quickly I will have to empty it off! :D)

#404 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,645 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 25 January 2010 - 04:23 PM

Slightly off topic but if I upgrade a leased R15 to an HR2x, how long will I have to return the R15?
(I plan on doing this upgrade once MRV/DECA is out of beta - assuming equipment and monthly charges are reasonable!! - and I always have stuff on the R15 to watch, so I just want to be prepared for how quickly I will have to empty it off! :D)

If they want the unit back, they send a recovery box and expect to see it within a week to 10 days. Any longer is at your own risk.

#405 OFFLINE   jcricket

jcricket

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:50 PM

I think the term you are looking for is collaborative scheduling .. I do not know if DIRECTV intends to support this as a feature or not.

I know this was a while ago, but without collaborative scheduling, this feature is of fairly limited use to me (would be too complicated to explain to the wife).

If I do decide to get a second TV, a second DVR will be my solution (probably sans MRV), for nothing else the ability to pause stuff. I'll probably just set up the most critical recordings twice, more as an insurance policy than anything else.

Again, MRV sounds useful, but not worth the $3 to me. Maybe down the road if there's a true client/server solution with something like 4 tuners in the server, or the collaborative scheduling feature, etc. That I'd pay extra for.

Of course this is all hypothetical. Right now I have one TV, and one DVR. I can see how beneficial this might be for someone with 3 or 4 TVs/DVRs, even with the manual scheduling on various DVRs.

#406 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,604 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:05 AM

On the Directv.com/multiroom page, it says:
"Please do not purchase any additional receivers to participate in this beta trial. If your existing receivers are not currently networked please do not network them to participate in the beta testing phase. Once the service launches nationally there will be a special offer available to take advantage of the service. "

I'm in a situation where I have an HR20 and an H20, meaning I can't participate in this beta. The website says not to purchase any additional receivers and instead to wait for a special offer to take advantage of the service. Does anyone have any idea how long this beta will last? I would really love to have MRV but the indefinite waiting period is a bit of a downer.

Why not get an H21, 22, 23 and deactivate the H20 and send it back. I don't know what kind of deal you could get but you wouldn't have to wait until they get around to swapping you out.

#407 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 820 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 02:50 PM

There's a lot of good reading here.

It seems like the consensus is that in general, a wired network should work similarly to DECA but it may save some the inconvenience of needing to run CAT5 to a new location. That is an awesome option for many people who would rather go that route. Wireless and powerline are much more unpredicable.

I still believe the fair resolution here is to charge a fee for a DECA install or upgrade. Waive monthly fees. Provide a level of tech support to all. Hey, they do sell the wireless bridges too and can even(at least should be able) to troubleshoot them.

If anything, charge everyone a one-time activation fee. Don't charge redundant monthly fees. After raising rates, including the DVR fee, the timing is also poor for this speculaton. (or should I say announcement) I hope they reconsider.

I agree with the whole heartedly, but I HIGHLY doubt Directv will reconsider the fee. They seem to have become the KING of extra fees these days. I usually switch the channel in disgust when I see that ridiculous commercial where Directv tries to tout their lack of extra fees compared to DISH. I'm just waiting for DISH to run a rebuttal commercial with the seemingly laundry list of extra fees Directv charges.

#408 OFFLINE   jcricket

jcricket

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:55 PM

I agree with the whole heartedly, but I HIGHLY doubt Directv will reconsider the fee. They seem to have become the KING of extra fees these days. I usually switch the channel in disgust when I see that ridiculous commercial where Directv tries to tout their lack of extra fees compared to DISH. I'm just waiting for DISH to run a rebuttal commercial with the seemingly laundry list of extra fees Directv charges.

The only thing I'll say, in DirecTV's "defense" is that "add-on fees" are major revenue generators for just about every business these days.

The airlines, for example, are generating nearly all of their profit (and huge swathes of revenue) from things like baggage fees, fees for access to shorter lines, etc. There's one airline in Europe, in particular, that generates like 70% of their revenue this way.

For at least right now, consumers seem to be willing (not like we have a lot of choice) to pay the fees, rather than pay a higher up-front "full" charge for things.

Although it won't surprise me at all if it backfires in a macro-sense, as people find themselves "fee-d to death" and simply opt out of more and more monthly/subscription services, travel, etc. - at a certain point it's all just too much (whether charged as a fee or charged up-front).

#409 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,604 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:29 PM

There is now a poll here to express your views on paying for MRV:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=171743
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#410 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:33 PM

So, I guess we don't need two threads on the subject. Let's keep the conversation going over there.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

spam firewall