Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DBSTalk First Look: Multi-Room Viewing Opt-in Beta

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
409 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Lee1771

Lee1771

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:24 AM

I seriously doubt the MVR would reqire a DECA setup. Look at the DECA review in more detail.. it still uses the ethernet port from the DECA adapter to the receiver, just replaces the home network with the coax.

However DECA does seem a good idea so MRV (box to box) will not slow down your home network for computer use.

from the MRV review if 40Mbps (assuming this is HD) is accurate I imagine even a wired 100Mbps router would have problems with watching an HD show from room 1 in room 2 while the wife is watching a show in room 2 from room 1, even if that works how would we log on here to find out where D12 was?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:33 AM

I seriously doubt the MVR would reqire a DECA setup. Look at the DECA review in more detail.. it still uses the ethernet port from the DECA adapter to the receiver, just replaces the home network with the coax.

However DECA does seem a good idea so MRV (box to box) will not slow down your home network for computer use.

from the MRV review if 40Mbps (assuming this is HD) is accurate I imagine even a wired 100Mbps router would have problems with watching an HD show from room 1 in room 2 while the wife is watching a show in room 2 from room 1, even if that works how would we log on here to find out where D12 was?

However, the MRV firmware could "see" if you have a DECA, if it doesn't see it then :nono2:. As long as MRV is beta then a user installed home network will work, but maybe not after MRV goes solid and monthly fees are charged. But that really wasn't the point of my post..it was about SWM/fees. There are just too many questions that are unanswered on the DirecTV web site.

Edited by BubblePuppy, 20 January 2010 - 05:44 AM.

Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#43 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,082 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 20 January 2010 - 06:50 AM

However, the MRV firmware could "see" if you have a DECA, if it doesn't see it then :nono2:.

The DECA doesn't even have it's own MAC address - it's merely a COAX-to-ethernet bridge. I think you're worrying too much on that score.

What's likely to be the situation is that Directv will only support MRV configurations when they have it noted in their system that the networking equipment (i.e., DECA) was setup and installed by a tech, not the user. Otherwise, you're on your own unless you want to pony up $70 or whatever the current charge is for a truck roll.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#44 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

• Registered
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:07 AM

The DECA doesn't even have it's own MAC address - it's merely a COAX-to-ethernet bridge. I think you're worrying too much on that score.

What's likely to be the situation is that Directv will only support MRV configurations when they have it noted in their system that the networking equipment (i.e., DECA) was setup and installed by a tech, not the user. Otherwise, you're on your own unless you want to pony up $70 or whatever the current charge is for a truck roll.

I'm not worried...just tossing out various scenarios, mental masturbation as it were. Just keep in mind that DirecTv wants to make money off of MRV, I doubt it will be given away for free to anyone. It could be the DECA will have some sort of # code that will be entered into your account, just like the receivers id. If you don't have a DECA # on the account then no MRV.

#45 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:18 AM

may not be the right place to say this but this will be a monthly charge for something that uses my network?

You're not being charged for something that uses your Network, you are being charged for the cost of developing and maintaining software that will allow you to enjoy the benefits of MRV.

Whether you use it with your own Network or Deca or whatever doesn't matter because you are paying for a software service. And they could charge for Double Play, Apps, etc. but they choose not to.

I will Gladly Pay Whatever Fee because I love it and it is very useful as far as Watching What I Want Where I Want To Watch It and also using it to perform Maintenance on my DVRs such as Deleting old recordings no longer needed to free up space. Worth every penny of whatever they will charge for it and I will gladly pay it.

Edited by Richierich, 20 January 2010 - 09:00 AM.

DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#46 OFFLINE   Rob-NovA

Rob-NovA

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 597 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:41 AM

Nice job guys. Of course, being the geeks that we all are, this does bring up a lot of questions, many of which are already posted. Naturally, I was just about ready to take the plunge and get a SWM LNB on my own so I could take advantage of the other HR that I have where I can't snake another line.

Do you all think I should wait a bit longer for the dust to settle here and see what DirecTV plans for upgrade paths? I'd really like to take advantage of both SWM and DECA (I already know my 802.11g network isn't going to cut it...)
Rob

#47 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:53 AM

If SWM is required if a person goes with DirecTV's DECA (which sounds as if that will be required to get MRV) will SWM be installed at no charge? Will there be a "lease" fee for that also?

SWM is required to use DECA .. SWMs are purchased items part of the infrastructure and there is no lease fee associated with them.

DECA is the networking that will be supported by DIRECTV.

If you have your own home networking, you can use it .. It will not be a setup that is supported by DIRECTV, but as long as you have a knowledge of such things, it will work.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#48 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,993 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:54 AM

Nice job guys. Of course, being the geeks that we all are, this does bring up a lot of questions, many of which are already posted. Naturally, I was just about ready to take the plunge and get a SWM LNB on my own so I could take advantage of the other HR that I have where I can't snake another line.

Do you all think I should wait a bit longer for the dust to settle here and see what DirecTV plans for upgrade paths? I'd really like to take advantage of both SWM and DECA (I already know my 802.11g network isn't going to cut it...)

I would wait, the question is how long will the wait be?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#49 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:55 AM

Bit of a bummer I will have to give up integrated OTA on my two H20's to get this going. Tough choice to make there.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#50 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:57 AM

Well is thing going to replace the 5 buck or so charge per receiver after the 1st one (when a receiver owned it is called a mirroring fee - when receiver is leased it is called a leased fee)

example 4 hdvr's = 15 extra fee

or is this new charge going o be on top of that 15 buck fee

It is my understanding that this will be a fee similar to the DVR fee .. It probably will not cost as much - maybe $2.99 or $3.99/month. That is, however a guess on my part. I do not know what the actual charge will be. The fee will be for the whole home, not just for a single STB.

also is this going to be the whole home thing (mrv) ? or is that another animal all together ?

if this mrv is different from the whole home box, then this has bband converter failure wrote all over it because having 2 mrv systems is nuts

This is not the same thing as the HMC30 that was seen @ CES. There is no information available regarding the RVU alliance and how it will play into MRV. It is entirely possible that a similar model will be used for the HMC30 despite the fact that the technology is slightly different. In both cases, you can review programming at remote locations.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#51 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:59 AM

However, the MRV firmware could "see" if you have a DECA, if it doesn't see it then :nono2:. As long as MRV is beta then a user installed home network will work, but maybe not after MRV goes solid and monthly fees are charged. But that really wasn't the point of my post..it was about SWM/fees. There are just too many questions that are unanswered on the DirecTV web site.

For us geeks here .. I think we can help out with support for Ethernet only installations. It will not be something that DIRECTV will support as a matter of normal operations.

#52 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:00 AM

Actually, DECA isn't crap .. It's a very elegant solution for this .. But there should be no reason you can't use your home network if you set it up yourself.

Oops, when I said crap, I really meant just the collection of DECA hardware. I am sure it works perfectly well. Bad choice of works on my part.

I will say that DirecTV needs to come out and announce a price for when this comes out of beta. As more and more people use it and it is free (like if the beta period gones on for months and months like Media Share), it will become more and more painful to DirecTV once they start to charge, especially if the charge is more than a buck or two a month total. If they plan on charging 10 bucks a month for this, they really need to be up front about that so people can make decisions based on what they are willing to do. Don't be like cable and disguise all your fees.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#53 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,993 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:01 AM

For us geeks here .. I think we can help out with support for Ethernet only installations. It will not be something that DIRECTV will support as a matter of normal operations.

Maybe we should also keep an eye on forums.directv.com since that's where DirecTV is sending folks for support/issues to help out there?

#54 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:01 AM

DIRECTV comments on their Beta Testing Phase page: "Once the service launches nationally there will be a special networking offer available to take advantage of the service. "

Based on that statement alone, maybe waiting would be advisable, but we don't know pricing yet, so :shrug:

#55 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:05 AM

It is my understanding that this will be a fee similar to the DVR fee .. It probably will not cost as much - maybe $2.99 or $3.99/month. That is, however a guess on my part. I do not know what the actual charge will be. The fee will be for the whole home, not just for a single STB.

That makes sense and is what I think they will do. A Monthly Fee of perhaps $2.99 if you choose to Opt-In to use the MRV Function regardless of what infrastructure you use to allow you to use it.
Here's My Setup

#56 OFFLINE   jacmyoung

jacmyoung

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:05 AM

...If you have your own home networking, you can use it .. It will not be a setup that is supported by DIRECTV, but as long as you have a knowledge of such things, it will work.

If so, may I be so bold to expect there will be no additional charge either?:)

#57 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

• Registered
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:08 AM

SWM is required to use DECA .. SWMs are purchased items part of the infrastructure and there is no lease fee associated with them.

DECA is the networking that will be supported by DIRECTV.

If you have your own home networking, you can use it .. It will not be a setup that is supported by DIRECTV, but as long as you have a knowledge of such things, it will work.

So if I "order" DECA for MRV will DirecTV also supply the SWM, and install it for free, or will the SWM purchase and installation be up to me?

#58 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:09 AM

I suspect that there will be an Opt-In Charge or $2.99 or $3.99 or whatever per month to use the MRV Software regardless of your infrastructure. Just my guess.
Here's My Setup

#59 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,993 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:10 AM

I wouldn't count on it, if you want MRV, no matter who's network is being used, expect to pay a MRV access fee every month. They've mentioned a MRV in a number of financial calls and even the www.directv.com/multiroom page says there will be a charge once it's out of beta.

#60 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

• Registered
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:10 AM

Maybe we should also keep an eye on forums.directv.com since that's where DirecTV is sending folks for support/issues to help out there?

I went there yesterday, nothing seemed to have been posted about MRV. Maybe today.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...