Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DBSTalk First Look: Multi-Room Viewing Opt-in Beta

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
409 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,930 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:59 AM

However, the MRV firmware could "see" if you have a DECA, if it doesn't see it then :nono2:. As long as MRV is beta then a user installed home network will work, but maybe not after MRV goes solid and monthly fees are charged. But that really wasn't the point of my post..it was about SWM/fees. There are just too many questions that are unanswered on the DirecTV web site.

For us geeks here .. I think we can help out with support for Ethernet only installations. It will not be something that DIRECTV will support as a matter of normal operations.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:00 AM

Actually, DECA isn't crap .. It's a very elegant solution for this .. But there should be no reason you can't use your home network if you set it up yourself.

Oops, when I said crap, I really meant just the collection of DECA hardware. I am sure it works perfectly well. Bad choice of works on my part.

I will say that DirecTV needs to come out and announce a price for when this comes out of beta. As more and more people use it and it is free (like if the beta period gones on for months and months like Media Share), it will become more and more painful to DirecTV once they start to charge, especially if the charge is more than a buck or two a month total. If they plan on charging 10 bucks a month for this, they really need to be up front about that so people can make decisions based on what they are willing to do. Don't be like cable and disguise all your fees.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#53 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,209 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:01 AM

For us geeks here .. I think we can help out with support for Ethernet only installations. It will not be something that DIRECTV will support as a matter of normal operations.

Maybe we should also keep an eye on forums.directv.com since that's where DirecTV is sending folks for support/issues to help out there?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#54 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,930 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:01 AM

Nice job guys. Of course, being the geeks that we all are, this does bring up a lot of questions, many of which are already posted. Naturally, I was just about ready to take the plunge and get a SWM LNB on my own so I could take advantage of the other HR that I have where I can't snake another line.

Do you all think I should wait a bit longer for the dust to settle here and see what DirecTV plans for upgrade paths? I'd really like to take advantage of both SWM and DECA (I already know my 802.11g network isn't going to cut it...)

DIRECTV comments on their Beta Testing Phase page: "Once the service launches nationally there will be a special networking offer available to take advantage of the service. "

Based on that statement alone, maybe waiting would be advisable, but we don't know pricing yet, so :shrug:

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#55 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,487 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:05 AM

It is my understanding that this will be a fee similar to the DVR fee .. It probably will not cost as much - maybe $2.99 or $3.99/month. That is, however a guess on my part. I do not know what the actual charge will be. The fee will be for the whole home, not just for a single STB.

That makes sense and is what I think they will do. A Monthly Fee of perhaps $2.99 if you choose to Opt-In to use the MRV Function regardless of what infrastructure you use to allow you to use it.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#56 OFFLINE   jacmyoung

jacmyoung

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:05 AM

...If you have your own home networking, you can use it .. It will not be a setup that is supported by DIRECTV, but as long as you have a knowledge of such things, it will work.

If so, may I be so bold to expect there will be no additional charge either?:)

#57 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:08 AM

SWM is required to use DECA .. SWMs are purchased items part of the infrastructure and there is no lease fee associated with them.

DECA is the networking that will be supported by DIRECTV.

If you have your own home networking, you can use it .. It will not be a setup that is supported by DIRECTV, but as long as you have a knowledge of such things, it will work.

So if I "order" DECA for MRV will DirecTV also supply the SWM, and install it for free, or will the SWM purchase and installation be up to me?
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#58 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,487 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:09 AM

I suspect that there will be an Opt-In Charge or $2.99 or $3.99 or whatever per month to use the MRV Software regardless of your infrastructure. Just my guess.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#59 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,209 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:10 AM

I wouldn't count on it, if you want MRV, no matter who's network is being used, expect to pay a MRV access fee every month. They've mentioned a MRV in a number of financial calls and even the www.directv.com/multiroom page says there will be a charge once it's out of beta.

#60 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

• Registered
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:10 AM

Maybe we should also keep an eye on forums.directv.com since that's where DirecTV is sending folks for support/issues to help out there?

I went there yesterday, nothing seemed to have been posted about MRV. Maybe today.

#61 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,209 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:12 AM

I went there yesterday, nothing seemed to have been posted about MRV. Maybe today.

I just looked, there's no sub forum for MRV, but in the HD DVR section there's a thread about MRV and it points back to DBSTalk and their first look review.http://forums.direct...PostID=10645513

#62 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

• Registered
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:15 AM

I just looked, there's no sub forum for MRV, but in the HD DVR section there's a thread about MRV and it points back to DBSTalk and their first look review.http://forums.direct...PostID=10645513

A Möbius Strip. :D

#63 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 859 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:20 AM

If SWM is required if a person goes with DirecTV's DECA (which sounds as if that will be required to get MRV) will SWM be installed at no charge?

This is what I want to know as well -- what will it cost to be upgraded to SWM if we choose to pay for MRV & want to use the DECA method for networking. I'm hoping it is free to upgrade :-). Just to make sure I'm understanding this (and I am not at home to check) -- SWM is the one that needs only one cable to a DVR & both tuners will work from that one cable. If my DVR cannot use both tuners from one cable, then I don't have a SWM. We had our system installed 3 1/2 years ago. I'm pretty sure it is not SWM.

#64 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,994 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:22 AM

...the truth is that I don't know, and I'm not 100% sure that the decision has been made.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#65 OFFLINE   ryarber

ryarber

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:35 AM

So, where will we find the option to opt-in? Will it be in the menu system somehwere?

#66 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,930 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:36 AM

If you expect that, you will be disappointed.

#67 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,181 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:37 AM

So, where will we find the option to opt-in? Will it be in the menu system somehwere?

It's in the menu system. Menu --> Setup --> Multi-Room

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#68 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,754 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:37 AM

The "First Look" linked in the first post of this thread explains everything.

But it's in the menu

MENU  Parental, Fav’s and Setup  System Setup Multi-Room Beta

#69 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,930 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:38 AM

So if I "order" DECA for MRV will DirecTV also supply the SWM, and install it for free, or will the SWM purchase and installation be up to me?

I don't know how DIRECTV could support an "MRV Networking package" without including an SWM. Not sure what the charge is going to be, though.

#70 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,930 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:41 AM

This is what I want to know as well -- what will it cost to be upgraded to SWM if we choose to pay for MRV & want to use the DECA method for networking. I'm hoping it is free to upgrade :-). Just to make sure I'm understanding this (and I am not at home to check) -- SWM is the one that needs only one cable to a DVR & both tuners will work from that one cable. If my DVR cannot use both tuners from one cable, then I don't have a SWM. We had our system installed 3 1/2 years ago. I'm pretty sure it is not SWM.

I'm fairly certain it won't be free. DIRECTV's multiroom page makes reference to a "networking package" so the implication in my mind is that there will be a charge to get the package. However, nothing has been announced regarding cost.

#71 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,930 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:42 AM

Check out the First Look .. all the details of the service are there including how to Opt-in. ;)

#72 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:45 AM

Sweet looking first look!

#73 OFFLINE   jacmyoung

jacmyoung

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:52 AM

If you expect that, you will be disappointed.

I will be disappointed if they charge me something but do not support it, that was my point.

#74 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,754 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:00 AM

I will be disappointed if they charge me something but do not support it, that was my point.

The charge is to activate and support the MRV software feature in the receivers - not to support your home network. If you want network support, you're going to need the SWM/DECA equipment.

#75 OFFLINE   jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf

Icon

• Registered
  • 637 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:06 AM

Has there been any mention of box with no satellite receivers built in that could be connected to the network and used for "remote" viewing of stuff from an MRV-enabled box?

For example, I have a networked HR20. I don't want/need another receiver, but I would like to be able to view stuff recorded on the HR20 in another room. I'd like to be able to get a box (sort of like a Roku) that I could hook up to my network and watch recordings off of the HR20 without having to run coax to the box.

Hmmm... Or maybe this could be added to a new Roku model... :sure:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...