Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DBSTalk First Look: Multi-Room Viewing Opt-in Beta

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
409 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,741 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:38 PM

Uhhhhh...that's my point. What if you don't any any "regular" receivers? :confused:

You don't need any "regular" HD receivers.

You do need at least 1 HR2x and at least one additional HR2x, H21 or H23.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#102 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:39 PM

So you do think they will support the MRV software feature in the receivers? If my MRV has issues that are software related, they will provide support?

I do not need them to support my network, ATT has that part covered for me.

My guess is if you call in and say something isn't working or the quality is suspect, that DIRECTV will simply state that you are using an unsupported configuration and ask you if you want to have a DECA/SWM installation set up. If you decline, they will likely apologize and say that they cannot help you.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#103 OFFLINE   idigg

idigg

Legend

• Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:48 PM

Well it was fun testing it for free, I ain't paying for it though. Uverse it comes standard.
HR21-700
HR22-100
H21-100
---------
AM21 for sale $38 shipped (PM ME)

#104 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,741 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:48 PM

So you do think they will support the MRV software feature in the receivers? If my MRV has issues that are software related, they will provide support?

What I meant by support of the MRV software was the initial development and ongoing updates to the software. I'd doubt that they'd be able to offer much in terms of troubleshooting problems occuring on non-supported network configurations. Beyond offering basic advice, like asking you to restore each receiver's network defaults and reboot, I wouldn't expect much without having a SWM/DECA setup.

#105 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,174 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:51 PM

Well it was fun testing it for free, I ain't paying for it though. Uverse it comes standard.

And so does bad HD picture quality and a limit to the number of concurrent HD channels you can view.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#106 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:55 PM

OK, what's above the minimun, two HD DVR's, which also works. All they're saying is that to use MRV you have to have at least a HD DVR and a HD STB, if you have anything more then that you're also good.

I give up. I have no STBs only DVRs. Not worth flogging the deceased equine any further.
When news breaks...we fix it.

#107 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 860 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:57 PM

Charging for MRV is a frickin joke!! I pay for my DVR and DVR srvice. If I use MY network and directv will not support it, it should be FREE!

Now those who want the DECA should pay for equipment. Now problem. You want MTV support? Fine, $2.99-3.99 a month.

But my equipment and NO support should be free! Again it's MY network stuff which directv won't help anyways with and I paid my DVR and DVR service fees.

Here we go, just N & D people to death. Sorry but close to $100 per month for TV in 2 rooms with just basic DVR and HD is high enough!

#108 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,741 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:59 PM

Charging for MRV is a frickin joke!! I pay for my DVR and DVR srvice. If I use MY network and directv will not support it, it should be FREE!

Now those who want the DECA should pay for equipment. Now problem. You want MTV support? Fine, $2.99-3.99 a month.

But my equipment and NO support should be free! Again it's MY network stuff which directv won't help anyways with and I paid my DVR and DVR service fees.

Here we go, just N & D people to death. Sorry but close to $100 per month for TV in 2 rooms with just basic DVR and HD is high enough!

Then don't subscribe to MRV - no one's going to force you to activate it once the Beta ends.

#109 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:59 PM

I wouldn't worry about the fee. D* leaves stuff in beta for a long time, so it could be years before we start getting charged.

Ironically, I saw a D* commercial last night bashing Dish for "nickel and diming" their customers to death. It made me laugh a little now that I see they will charge for mrv! :)

I do not expect this Beta to last for "years" .. It will likely be a relatively short period.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#110 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:01 PM

I give up. I have no STBs only DVRs. Not worth flogging the deceased equine any further.

A DVR (Digital Video Recorder) is a STB (Set Top Box)

(although technically most sit on a shelf now rather than on top of the TV since new TVs are flat, but I digress)

#111 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,924 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:01 PM

It will be free during the Beta period.

Then...
You are paying for the MRV software to be activated and supported, this proposed fee has nothing to do with your network....

#112 OFFLINE   MurrayW

MurrayW

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:03 PM

When viewing the consoidated List do shows from several DVR's show up in the same folder?

Say I have 5 episodes of the Daily Show on DVR1 and 10 episodes of the Daily Show on DVR2. When viewing the consolidated list, will there only be 1 Daily Show folder? And if so, will only unique episodes be listed (preferably just the duplicate on the local DVR would show up)?

So let's say that 3 episodes are duplicates between the 2 DVR's, would there be just one folder and would that folder have 12 episodes listed?

thanks,
Murray

#113 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,924 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:04 PM

When viewing the consoidated List do shows from several DVR's show up in the same folder?

Say I have 5 episodes of the Daily Show on DVR1 and 10 episodes of the Daily Show on DVR2. When viewing the consolidated list, will there only be 1 Daily Show folder? And if so, will only unique episodes be listed (preferably just the duplicate on the local DVR would show up)?

So let's say that 3 episodes are duplicates between the 2 DVR's, would there be just one folder and would that folder have 12 episodes listed?

thanks,
Murray

The folder will be combined with all of the shows from all DVR's networked(even duplicates). Each episode will list the DVR it is from though.

#114 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,107 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:05 PM

thanks,
Murray

They're all in the same folder and as you select each it will show which DVR has the recording.
With 3 DVRs recording the same show, the folder will have all three displayed.
A.K.A VOS

#115 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:07 PM

Then don't subscribe to MRV - no one's going to force you to activate it once the Beta ends.

Yup, if viewing programs remotely isn't worth the fee that DIRECTV is going to charge then simply don't subscribe to it. There really isn't another option.

#116 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:09 PM

Wow. Every time something comes out, there also comes out a bunch of people with a complaint about it. It's like a law of nature or something.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#117 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:11 PM

You will see a list of all recorded content from MRV enabled DVRs once you hit {MENU}, then "My Playlist".... or just hit {LIST}

What many of us have done was get rid of duplicated series passes, therefore making more room for other stuff and a playlist without duplicates.

Edited by barryb, 20 January 2010 - 01:17 PM.

Barry
MY SETUP
You can usually find me helping out in the Quiet Room on Friday chat night.

#118 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,107 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:12 PM

Wow. Every time something comes out, there also comes out a bunch of people with a complaint about it. It's like a law of nature or something.

AKA: if it isn't something I WANT, then DirecTV has wasted their time. :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#119 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Registered
  • 15,614 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:32 PM

Are you kidding me, another great product from a well informed crew of dedicated souls, awesome stuff, thanks!
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#120 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:46 PM

Are you kidding me, another great product from a well informed crew of dedicated souls, awesome stuff, thanks!

Never kid an Ogre.
Barry
MY SETUP
You can usually find me helping out in the Quiet Room on Friday chat night.

#121 OFFLINE   durl

durl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:07 PM

I've been looking forward to MRV for quite some time. This is welcome news. But...

I have to admit (and please, don't hit me) that the fee is a little surprising; I had hoped that it would be included at no additional cost. I understand the "maintenance" aspect of it, but Directv already activates and maintains software on every receiver so I don't see how this additional feature requires a separate fee and maintenance. On Demand didn't require a fee but I'm sure it requires very specific programming, as well.

For the record, I subscribe to HD Extra and never complained about the additional cost; it includes channels that require carrier fees. I fully understand and support the "if you don't want it, don't pay for it" mantra and I won't start bashing Directv if the continue to charge a fee.

I hope I'm being "cheap" here. It just seems as though this could easily be a free service.

#122 ONLINE   VARTV

VARTV

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, VA, USA

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:09 PM

A couple of things to consider:

• The video streaming from room-to-room can be affected by your home network. Even wired networks can have problems if the router or switch cannot handle a proper continuous data rate.
  • DIRECTV will be relying on the DIRECT Ethernet over Coax Adapter (DECA) for networking. You must have a SWiM (Single-Wire Multiswitch) device to use the DECA adapter. To check if you have a SWiM installation, simply press the {DASH} key on your remote while viewing Live TV.

I'm curious to see how my home network will handle this. Bridges and router are N+

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

With DirecTV since October 2004. My complete setup on 1/1/2013...

#123 OFFLINE   sdirv

sdirv

Icon

• Registered
  • 524 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:10 PM

Sounds like it, I was looking forward to it.

But......

Now that the details are starting to come out I find myself in a boat I didn't think I'd be in (to be able to use MRV).

It seems I won't be able to use the H20 or the SD receivers in my house to do the MRV thing off the HR22 in my family room.

And although software upgrades with the systems to get them to do all sorts of neat things haven't (in my memory) been charged for in the past....this one will be.

Comes at a bad time (IMO) when the economy is in such bad shape. I've personally been considering dropping back out of the Premier package I'm in to something cheaper and then using my Netflix streaming instead of all the HBO's and stuff. Been thinking about dropping out of the HD Extra Pack too, I'm pretty much down to using only HDNM with it these days.

Not a big deal......people who can afford it can do what they please. I've always thought yachts were neat, can't afford one and never felt bad about THAT :lol:.

#124 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:16 PM

I've been looking forward to MRV for quite some time. This is welcome news. But...

I have to admit (and please, don't hit me) that the fee is a little surprising; I had hoped that it would be included at no additional cost. I understand the "maintenance" aspect of it, but Directv already activates and maintains software on every receiver so I don't see how this additional feature requires a separate fee and maintenance. On Demand didn't require a fee but I'm sure it requires very specific programming, as well.

On Demand includes Pay-for content that likely helps subsidize that service.

MRV adds additional maintenance of network infrastructure (in this case DECA). This is something new and was never part of things DIRECTV has maintained in the past. It's doubtful (to me) that DIRECTV is out to make lots of money on this. More a way to structure the costs so that folks can have MRV without it causing a burden to every subscriber.

#125 OFFLINE   jluzbet69

jluzbet69

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:21 PM

What will happen if I connect my second receiver to my network today, it wont work?

I only have one of my receivers on my network at this me...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...