Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DBSTalk First Look: Multi-Room Viewing Opt-in Beta

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
409 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   durl

durl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:07 PM

I've been looking forward to MRV for quite some time. This is welcome news. But...

I have to admit (and please, don't hit me) that the fee is a little surprising; I had hoped that it would be included at no additional cost. I understand the "maintenance" aspect of it, but Directv already activates and maintains software on every receiver so I don't see how this additional feature requires a separate fee and maintenance. On Demand didn't require a fee but I'm sure it requires very specific programming, as well.

For the record, I subscribe to HD Extra and never complained about the additional cost; it includes channels that require carrier fees. I fully understand and support the "if you don't want it, don't pay for it" mantra and I won't start bashing Directv if the continue to charge a fee.

I hope I'm being "cheap" here. It just seems as though this could easily be a free service.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   VARTV

VARTV

Godfather

• Registered
  • 441 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, VA, USA

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:09 PM

A couple of things to consider:

• The video streaming from room-to-room can be affected by your home network. Even wired networks can have problems if the router or switch cannot handle a proper continuous data rate.
  • DIRECTV will be relying on the DIRECT Ethernet over Coax Adapter (DECA) for networking. You must have a SWiM (Single-Wire Multiswitch) device to use the DECA adapter. To check if you have a SWiM installation, simply press the {DASH} key on your remote while viewing Live TV.

I'm curious to see how my home network will handle this. Bridges and router are N+

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

With DirecTV since October 2004. My complete setup on 1/1/2013...

#123 OFFLINE   sdirv

sdirv

Icon

• Registered
  • 524 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:10 PM

Are you kidding me, another great product from a well informed crew of dedicated souls, awesome stuff, thanks!

Sounds like it, I was looking forward to it.

But......

Now that the details are starting to come out I find myself in a boat I didn't think I'd be in (to be able to use MRV).

It seems I won't be able to use the H20 or the SD receivers in my house to do the MRV thing off the HR22 in my family room.

And although software upgrades with the systems to get them to do all sorts of neat things haven't (in my memory) been charged for in the past....this one will be.

Comes at a bad time (IMO) when the economy is in such bad shape. I've personally been considering dropping back out of the Premier package I'm in to something cheaper and then using my Netflix streaming instead of all the HBO's and stuff. Been thinking about dropping out of the HD Extra Pack too, I'm pretty much down to using only HDNM with it these days.

Not a big deal......people who can afford it can do what they please. I've always thought yachts were neat, can't afford one and never felt bad about THAT :lol:.

#124 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:16 PM

I've been looking forward to MRV for quite some time. This is welcome news. But...

I have to admit (and please, don't hit me) that the fee is a little surprising; I had hoped that it would be included at no additional cost. I understand the "maintenance" aspect of it, but Directv already activates and maintains software on every receiver so I don't see how this additional feature requires a separate fee and maintenance. On Demand didn't require a fee but I'm sure it requires very specific programming, as well.

On Demand includes Pay-for content that likely helps subsidize that service.

MRV adds additional maintenance of network infrastructure (in this case DECA). This is something new and was never part of things DIRECTV has maintained in the past. It's doubtful (to me) that DIRECTV is out to make lots of money on this. More a way to structure the costs so that folks can have MRV without it causing a burden to every subscriber.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#125 OFFLINE   jluzbet69

jluzbet69

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:21 PM

What will happen if I connect my second receiver to my network today, it wont work?

I only have one of my receivers on my network at this me...

#126 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,643 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:23 PM

MRV adds additional maintenance of network infrastructure (in this case DECA). This is something new and was never part of things DIRECTV has maintained in the past. It's doubtful (to me) that DIRECTV is out to make lots of money on this. More a way to structure the costs so that folks can have MRV without it causing a burden to every subscriber.

[not to beat a dead horse "too much" again]
If the charge was actually "to support" DECA, then that's one thing, but if the customer used their own network and supported that themselves, then this should be FREE.
A.K.A VOS

#127 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,643 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:24 PM

What will happen if I connect my second receiver to my network today, it wont work?

You'll need to have the software [0395/4395] for this to work.
A.K.A VOS

#128 OFFLINE   stlmike

stlmike

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:30 PM

If the charge was actually "to support" DECA, then that's one thing, but if the customer used their own network and supported that themselves, then this should be FREE.

A very reasonable position I think!

#129 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

It seems I won't be able to use the H20 or the SD receivers in my house to do the MRV thing off the HR22 in my family room.

One rumor that I heard was if you get the DirecTV networking option (aka DECA) upgrade that they would replace any receivers that needed to be replaced to make it work as part of the upgrade. Now does that mean replace a R15 for a R16 since DECA requires SWiM or also a H20 to H21/H23 swap since the H20 doesn't have a network connection isn't know.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#130 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

:shrug:
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#131 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,643 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:32 PM

:shrug:

yeah that was what DirecTV said/did when I asked them the same question... :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#132 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:37 PM

I agree 100%. DirecTV has never charged for new features to be added to existing hardware before that I know of (and I don't know of many companies that do). Look at all the Blu-Ray players that keep adding Netflix, Pandora, Amazon, Youtube streaming etc. for free.

Only a couple companies come to mind when I hear about charging for new features on existing equipment Apple and E*. And at least they only charge a one time upgrade fee and not a monthly fee (one time fee for major firmware upgrades on the iphone/ipod touch, one time fee to enable external hard drives on E* DVRs).

I could maybe understand if DirecTV charged a one time fee to activate MRV. But I will not be happy if they really do go through with a monthly fee. Especially considering they just upped the monthly DVR fee as well. (Could the costs for supporting that really have gone up much?).

If they need to charge for DECA support then offer it as an add on plan like the protection plan. Don't charge me when I plan on using my personal gigabit network.

#133 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,643 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:51 PM

I agree 100%. DirecTV has never charged for new features to be added to existing hardware before that I know of (and I don't know of many companies that do). Look at all the Blu-Ray players that keep adding Netflix, Pandora, Amazon, Youtube streaming etc. for free.

Only a couple companies come to mind when I hear about charging for new features on existing equipment Apple and E*. And at least they only charge a one time upgrade fee and not a monthly fee (one time fee for major firmware upgrades on the iphone/ipod touch, one time fee to enable external hard drives on E* DVRs).

I could maybe understand if DirecTV charged a one time fee to activate MRV. But I will not be happy if they really do go through with a monthly fee. Especially considering they just upped the monthly DVR fee as well. (Could the costs for supporting that really have gone up much?).

If they need to charge for DECA support then offer it as an add on plan like the protection plan. Don't charge me when I plan on using my personal gigabit network.

"I think" their error is that they're thinking of a revenue stream for:
A below cost DECA upgrade, that would include a SWiM, DECA adapters and changing out all the receivers that are needed to have a whole house solution, and then to offset this [loss] with a monthly fee.
I think customers would understand a fair charge for the hardware changes instead of a monthly fee for what is in fact just another software feature.
If the monthly was for "support", then either having a monthly "support" charge or adding it to the protection plan [for an increase in the fee] would be more reasonable.
For those of us that are "doing everything ourselves", this fee just doesn't make sense [cents]. :(

[/end beating horse]
A.K.A VOS

#134 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,239 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 03:06 PM

Playing devils advocate. What if DirecTV only charged those that used DECA for MRV but not those that used their own setup? There would be a hue and cry, just as there is now. Then a rush for the DIY networking, cancellation of the paid MRV, and then what? Disconnecting and sending the DirecTV supplied SWM,DECA and all related geegaws back to DirecTV. The issues are endless. How will Dtv control who pays and who doesn't? So they charge everyone, or just those that have the DirecTV networking supplied units will be able to get MRV, and those that have DIY networks won't. Just because one's system is networked now doesn't mean entitlement to MRV.
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#135 OFFLINE   jacmyoung

jacmyoung

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 03:06 PM

I do see a problem of "self-support", most people don't know how, also even if you know, you will still run into issues that you cannot solve, and must call DirecTV for support, but then how would DirecTV know if it is your network or just the software issue?

I like the idea that just let people who have their own network get the software for free, if they call to report issues, tell them you supposed to upgrade to our own hardware to use the MRV. If you refuse to upgrade, sorry, if you do upgrade, we'll send a tech to take care of it for you but you will be charged for a one time fee and a monthly fee.

This way, the ball is in the customer's court, if DirecTV charges a monthly fee for those who use their own network, then the ball will be in DirecTV's court, it will be hard to refuse to support when people call.

#136 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,643 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 03:16 PM

Since I've [/end beating dead horse], you all will have to continue without my comments. ;)
A.K.A VOS

#137 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,281 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 03:25 PM

Never kid an Ogre.

I know, right?! :D
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#138 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,281 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 03:27 PM

Sounds like it, I was looking forward to it.

But......

Now that the details are starting to come out I find myself in a boat I didn't think I'd be in (to be able to use MRV).

And although software upgrades with the systems to get them to do all sorts of neat things haven't (in my memory) been charged for in the past....this one will be.

Comes at a bad time (IMO) when the economy is in such bad shape. I've personally been considering dropping back out of the Premier package I'm in to something cheaper and then using my Netflix streaming instead of all the HBO's and stuff. Been thinking about dropping out of the HD Extra Pack too, I'm pretty much down to using only HDNM with it these days.

Not a big deal......people who can afford it can do what they please. I've always thought yachts were neat, can't afford one and never felt bad about THAT :lol:.

Yeah, we all have our "things" we deal with and make trades towards what and how we do those "things" right?! I think this is optimistically in the right place on the uptick towards a recovery. I like it! :)
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#139 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,946 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 20 January 2010 - 03:42 PM

It won't work until your receivers receive the firmware upgrade to 0x395 and you enable the opt-in. After that, it may work, depending on the characteristics of your network (the demands are greater than for On Demand or Media Share).

#140 OFFLINE   iamqnow

iamqnow

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 03:52 PM

steveken... details are still sketchy but I can tell you that there will be an upgrade path for people with incompatible receivers or network topologies.

I hope you are right about that. 3 out of my 4 receivers are good to go but 1 is not.

spam firewall