Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DBSTalk First Look: Multi-Room Viewing Opt-in Beta

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
409 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:06 PM

What if DirecTV only charged those that used DECA for MRV but not those that used their own setup? There would be a hue and cry, just as there is now.

Then a rush for the DIY networking, cancellation of the paid MRV, and then what? Disconnecting and sending the DirecTV supplied SWM,DECA and all related geegaws back to DirecTV. The issues are endless.

How will Dtv control who pays and who doesn't? So they charge everyone, or just those that have the DirecTV networking supplied units will be able to get MRV, and those that have DIY networks won't.

Just because one's system is networked now doesn't mean entitlement to MRV.

Why are there so many posters making this harder than it is?

You charge a monthly Fee that allows you to OPT-IN so you can enjoy the MRV Service and help defray the costs of the MRV Software. If you decide you don't think it is for you, then you just never OPT-IN and you will not be charged for it.

If you can't set up a Wired/Wireless Network, then you call Directv and they will install a Deca System and you pay for the equipment/installation.

Why should I help pay for someone's system who can't install a Network similar to mine when they didn't help me pay for my Network Environment?

How do you control it? By only allowing those who OPT-IN to be able to have access to the MRV Service. Very Simple.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:07 PM

One rumor that I heard was if you get the DirecTV networking option (aka DECA) upgrade that they would replace any receivers that needed to be replaced to make it work as part of the upgrade. Now does that mean replace a R15 for a R16 since DECA requires SWiM or also a H20 to H21/H23 swap since the H20 doesn't have a network connection isn't know.

Upgrading an R15 to R16 doesn't really help as it doesn't have network access. Really, all DVR's would need to be HR2x's and all receivers need to be H21/3.

#143 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,996 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:29 PM

Upgrading an R15 to R16 doesn't really help as it doesn't have network access. Really, all DVR's would need to be HR2x's and all receivers need to be H21/3.

Didn't say the R15/R16's did, but if you have a R15 and go for the network upgrade to SWiM/DECA your R15 would need to be replace else it wouldn't work anymore. That part has nothing to do with MRV, just saying that non-SWiM STB's would need to be replaced with a SWiM model.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#144 OFFLINE   Thaedron

Thaedron

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:31 PM

may not be the right place to say this but this will be a monthly charge for something that uses my network?

There is a monthly charge for having more than one receiver (whether you call it a mirroring or a lease charge). It's about features available to the user and the perceived value. Has nothing to do with your network.

Though just for the record, I'm not in favor of them charging a fee for MRV.
Main viewing system HR20-100 via SWM-8, using HDMI, networked, using DirecTV on Demand and MRV!
Samsung HLT-5689S | Oppo DV-981HD | Denon AVR-4306 | QNAP TS-219P NAS and Media Server

Full Setup

Proud supporter of the HR20 Wish List Survey

#145 OFFLINE   iamqnow

iamqnow

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:37 PM

I hope you are right about that. 3 out of my 4 receivers are good to go but 1 is not.

Has anyone else noticed that for the last few days, on the D* website, the only "kits and equipment" offered is the AM21? No powerline adapters or wireless equipment is listed. Must be due to the now rolling MRV/networking movement.

#146 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,996 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:41 PM

Has anyone else noticed that for the last few days, on the D* website, the only "kits and equipment" offered is the AM21? No powerline adapters or wireless equipment is listed. Must be due to the now rolling MRV/networking movement.

I just logged in and both the wireless and powerline adapters are listed along with the AM21.

#147 OFFLINE   eilugo

eilugo

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:51 PM

Does anyone know the estimated time frame for the beta-testing phase of MRV?

#148 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:04 PM

I'll estimate that it will be "months" but I don't know if that means 2-6 months or 6-12 months. Either way, I'd look towards shorter rather than longer times.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#149 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:06 PM

Didn't say the R15/R16's did, but if you have a R15 and go for the network upgrade to SWiM/DECA your R15 would need to be replace else it wouldn't work anymore. That part has nothing to do with MRV, just saying that non-SWiM STB's would need to be replaced with a SWiM model.

Yeah, I know you knew that. My points was if I am going to pay for MRV, I want to be able to access the recordings on any receiver. If they are going to upgrade people, my R16 ought to be swapped out for an HR2x.

#150 OFFLINE   eilugo

eilugo

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:10 PM

2 months is what I was thinking as well. Don't know why, just sounded like a good number. Thanks Doug!

#151 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,996 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:10 PM

Yeah, I know you knew that. My points was if I am going to pay for MRV, I want to be able to access the recordings on any receiver. If they are going to upgrade people, my R16 ought to be swapped out for an HR2x.

Sorry don't agree with that since that would probably raise the cost for everyone. Who know's DirecTV might have that as part of the upgrade but IMHO I don't see that happening.

#152 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:23 PM

Sorry don't agree with that since that would probably raise the cost for everyone. Who know's DirecTV might have that as part of the upgrade but IMHO I don't see that happening.

So now I have this great feature that I am paying for every month, and to use it, all I have to do is upgrade my receivers?

DIRECTV needs a plan to handle that, thats all I'm saying.

#153 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,996 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:32 PM

So now I have this great feature that I am paying for every month, and to use it, all I have to do is upgrade my receivers?

DIRECTV needs a plan to handle that, thats all I'm saying.

Why?

You don't have access to DirecTV on Demand with a R15/R16. You don't have access to Media Share or TVApps with a R15/R16. You're paying the HD access charge and the HD Extra pack but you can't view those channels on a R15/R16. As I said, I don't know if they will or won't have an upgrade path for SD to HD receivers, just don't think they'll have those upgrades as part of a flat rate DECA networking upgrade package.

#154 OFFLINE   dhines

dhines

Godfather

• Registered
  • 398 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:38 PM

I have to admit (and please, don't hit me) that the fee is a little surprising; I had hoped that it would be included at no additional cost. I understand the "maintenance" aspect of it, but Directv already activates and maintains software on every receiver so I don't see how this additional feature requires a separate fee and maintenance. On Demand didn't require a fee but I'm sure it requires very specific programming, as well.

the only part that kills me is, this will open the door to all new functionality being a charged fee. IMO, if you are already paying for the top tier package, why should you be nickled and dimed to death?

but, it is what it is . . . . and i for one won't pay an extra penny for it; just on principle. my bill (not counting mirror/lease fees) is already pay $141 per month (HD, premeir, protection plan, setanta). and it would be $6 more if i wasn't grandfathered into the bundled DVR service.

IMO, to charge someone like me is nuts, but it is their right to ask for it. i will just take a pass and say "no thanks"
nothing like having way too much sports programming . . .

(see profile for equipment)

Posted Image

#155 OFFLINE   iamqnow

iamqnow

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:40 PM

I just logged in and both the wireless and powerline adapters are listed along with the AM21.

Yes, but did you actually "click" on them as if to order? Just tried it again and it can't be done.

#156 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,996 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:42 PM

Yes, but did you actually "click" on them as if to order? Just tried it again and it can't be done.

No I didn't since I didn't need to order any. Your OP said they weren't even listed anymore, that's all I checked for.

#157 OFFLINE   uscboy

uscboy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:50 PM

I really don't like charges from companies that you can't really figure out why
they charge them beyond the reason of "Because they can".

This is a lot like the DVR charge. I mean, do programming providers charge
DirecTV more for the consumers to have the right to record? I don't believe so.

So basically DirecTV charges me per month for a software feature (the
integral software feature) of a box I had to pay for, the HD DVR.... why?
Because they can basically. It's not that it's logical or fair, I mean Dell
doesn't charge me extra per month so I can save things on the hard drive of
the laptop I'm using. It's a basic function of the box I paid for, yet I pay
monthly for the feature to be "turned on" basically.

This MRV is no different... sure, DirecTV could always say the charge is to
ROI the engineering and testing time it took to write and develop the code
required to do this, but really?

I get paying for service - for channels. That's fair - providers charge DirecTV
for them... but things like the DVR fee and this new MRV fee are being
charged really for no reason other than "Because they can".

Wish more companies would be run by folks who made decisions that didn't
leave the customers feeling slightly ripped off in the end.
If ignorance is bliss, going to Clemson must be orgasmic...

#158 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 January 2010 - 06:34 PM

I really don't like charges from companies that you can't really figure out why
they charge them beyond the reason of "Because they can".

Why do cell phone companies charge you $0.15 for a text message?

Why does Ticket Master charge you a convenience charge?

Why does your bank charge you an ATM fee?

The thing about most businesses is they are in business to make money. When an opportunity arises to do so, someone productizes it and starts charging for it. The MRV fee is certainly very similar to the DVR fee in how it is structured, so there is already a precedent with DIRECTV. Clearly they are not charging for each and every feature that is added, but it shouldn't surprise anyone that some features will not be free.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#159 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,978 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 20 January 2010 - 06:38 PM

The fee sort of goes against Directv's latest ads where they chide Dish for having a bunch of extra charges.

#160 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:13 PM

The fee sort of goes against Directv's latest ads where they chide Dish for having a bunch of extra charges.

I was just getting ready to post that same statement. I thought how Ironic that Directv is going to charge us for this Service as they are pointing out that Dish does this so I guess it must be alright to Nickel and Dime us as they all do it in the Name Of Profits and the Bottom Line Rules!!!:lol:

I still will gladly pay for it as I have waited over 2 years for this to happen and now it is here and I Can Watch What I Want Anywhere I Want To Watch It!!!

I can also Perform Maintenance Functions anywhere on all of my 6 DVRs so that is really nice and beneficial. :D

Edited by Richierich, 20 January 2010 - 07:44 PM.

DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...