Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DBSTalk First Look: Multi-Room Viewing Opt-in Beta

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
409 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:57 PM

Why are there so many posters making this harder than it is?

You charge a monthly Fee that allows you to OPT-IN so you can enjoy the MRV Service and help defray the costs of the MRV Software. If you decide you don't think it is for you, then you just never OPT-IN and you will not be charged for it.

If you can't set up a Wired/Wireless Network, then you call Directv and they will install a Deca System and you pay for the equipment/installation.

Why should I help pay for someone's system who can't install a Network similar to mine when they didn't help me pay for my Network Environment?

How do you control it? By only allowing those who OPT-IN to be able to have access to the MRV Service. Very Simple.

Don't the DIRECTV software developers get paid regardless? There have been many software features developed and enabled throughout the many years of my service with DIRECTV. This would be - in my recollection - the first time such a fee is implemented. There are other fees of course, monthly DVR, HD access, etc. But I think there is some grey area here. Is MRV software - or is it a service? I don't think the posters are making anything harder - they are simply stating their opinion on a surprising move by DIRECTV to charge for what we are all agreeing - is a software feature.
My setup:

HR21-700, LG 42" 42LB5D (HDMI)

R22-200 w/HD, RCA 32" tube (S-video)

HR22-100, Samsung 58" PN58B550 (HDMI)
Xbox 360 (HDMI)
Denon AVR 2311CI (7.2)
MonoPrice in-wall speakers

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,017 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:14 PM

Don't the DIRECTV software developers get paid regardless?

This is the worst possible arguement. They earn their pay. They have also created something their employer thinks is very valuable, along with many other people. Ultimately it is up to you and everyone else to decide if MRV is worth having.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#163 OFFLINE   OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:38 PM

This is the worst possible arguement. They earn their pay. They have also created something their employer thinks is very valuable, along with many other people. Ultimately it is up to you and everyone else to decide if MRV is worth having.

scottandregan,

Respectfully - I didn't say the developers don't earn their pay. And I do not believe anyone here is trying underscore all of the great achievements that the software developers are responsible for. I for one - absolutely, 100% appreciate all of their hard work. I'm sure we all do.

And yes - there will be some developments, such as MRV - that both DIRECTV and the customers, find very valuable. My point is - right now, MRV is a grey area...is it considered a software upgrade? I think most of us believe it is. If so, many people feel they are already paying for the equipment that is routinely upgraded and tweaked with new and better features. Then again, will MRV become a new "service?" One that is optional, such as upgrading your programming?

I think a lot of us were surprised to see the notion of a charge due to the past practice of DIRECTV software rollouts. That is the point I was trying to make. Sorry for any confusion.
My setup:

Xbox 360 (HDMI)
Denon AVR 2311CI (7.2)

#164 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:44 PM

There will be a charge for MRV .. It is optional. If you don't pay the fee, then you will not be able to view recordings remotely in another room (in the manner being discussed here)
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#165 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:49 PM

^^^^ Mod speak for get over it and move on. :lol:

#166 OFFLINE   OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:23 PM

I don't think the posters are making anything harder - they are simply stating their opinion on a surprising move by DIRECTV to charge for what we are all agreeing - is a software feature.

I think a lot of us were surprised to see the notion of a charge due to the past practice of DIRECTV software rollouts.

I'm probably not helping the cause here, but admittedly, I just realized this...didn't "Game Lounge" start out as beta software that eventually became an optional service that you must pay for?
My setup:

Xbox 360 (HDMI)
Denon AVR 2311CI (7.2)

#167 OFFLINE   ben jammin

ben jammin

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:29 PM

Sorry, but it's a joke that DirecTV will be charging for this service. ReplayTV offered this as a free, standard feature of their 5000 and 5500 series DVRs literally more than 5 years ago, and from what I can see from the First Look, it even had more features than DirecTV's implementation. My friends with Uverse have had this functionality for more than a year, also for free. I am not aware of any other providers that charge for this service and I think it's a joke that DirecTV is years behind the competition then has the gall to charge for it.

#168 OFFLINE   Movieman

Movieman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:34 PM

Sorry, but it's a joke that DirecTV will be charging for this service. ReplayTV offered this as a free, standard feature of their 5000 and 5500 series DVRs literally more than 5 years ago, and from what I can see from the First Look, it even had more features than DirecTV's implementation. My friends with Uverse have had this functionality for more than a year, also for free. I am not aware of any other providers that charge for this service and I think it's a joke that DirecTV is years behind the competition then has the gall to charge for it.

What the competitors like U-Verse and FIOS do is charge additional for the boxes that have the capability to use MRV. As for Directv hopefully when it does come time to charge for this the service will be far more advanced than it is now. I do agree that they shouldnt charge for the way it is now but if it improves then I dont see much of a problem. Hopefully if enough people participate in the Beta some good things can come out of some free testing.

#169 OFFLINE   Markg123

Markg123

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:03 PM

0x395 is not yet available as a national release. It will be available very soon.

I just forced a software upgrade, but it says 0x368 is the latest version.
When will 0x395 be available in Santa Rosa?

Mark

#170 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,639 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:07 PM

I just forced a software upgrade, but it says 0x368 is the latest version.
When will 0x395 be available in Santa Rosa?

Mark

With all staggered rollouts, you can't force them, since they're on different transponders.
You need to wait until it's pushed to your receiver. "Could be" later tonight or tomorrow night, or...
A.K.A VOS

#171 OFFLINE   cavinny

cavinny

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:27 PM

This looks great over a linksys network...even high def programming.

#172 OFFLINE   Shawnn

Shawnn

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:35 PM

Next they need to let us access our receivers over the internet like a slingbox. Like I'm in Boston and able to reach back to my HR2X back in San Diego.

If you had a router to router VPN and a very fast internet connection at both locations in theory SD viewing might be possible.

#173 OFFLINE   woollybully

woollybully

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:26 AM

Nice arguments about why they shouldn't charge for MRV. Today, it's a "me too" feature that Directv is years late in providing. How do they figure they are going to charge for it, especially when it is still missing most of the features that the others already have (filtering, remote recording, etc). Now, what I would pay for is open DLNA. Let me stream from my HR recordings to a PS3, XBOX, Blu-Ray, HDTV, MediaPC, etc. and that would be worth the charge. Simply charging for a feature they should have had a year ago is ridiculous.

#174 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:34 AM

With all staggered rollouts, you can't force them, since they're on different transponders.
You need to wait until it's pushed to your receiver. "Could be" later tonight or tomorrow night, or...

Correct, there is no way to force a download of 0x395 at this time.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#175 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:36 AM

Nice arguments about why they shouldn't charge for MRV. Today, it's a "me too" feature that Directv is years late in providing. How do they figure they are going to charge for it, especially when it is still missing most of the features that the others already have (filtering, remote recording, etc). Now, what I would pay for is open DLNA. Let me stream from my HR recordings to a PS3, XBOX, Blu-Ray, HDTV, MediaPC, etc. and that would be worth the charge. Simply charging for a feature they should have had a year ago is ridiculous.

DIRECTV is part of the RVU Alliance. That is the most likely path for any third party access to DIRECTV's STBs.

#176 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 21 January 2010 - 03:54 AM

Correct, there is no way to force a download of 0x395 at this time.

I forced both of my HR20's, 0x395 at 0330 EST.

The MRV works. How's my son fill a 1TB drive, damn.

#177 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 21 January 2010 - 08:56 AM

Why do cell phone companies charge you $0.15 for a text message?

Why does your bank charge you an ATM fee?

Both of those are fees that can be avoided/waived. I don't pay for each text messages (it's in my package), nor do I pay for ATM fees (I keep a minimum balance in savings). Will D* have options to avoid the fee too?

D* needs to start creating packages that include all these items (like the choice + DVR + HD), but are cheaper overall, for those that want to take advantage of all D* has to offer without paying alacarte prices.

Maybe they should have 2 levels of Premiere packages. Both would include HD,DVR, and MRV with one having Premium channels and one without. The cost for bundling all these would have a discount vs having Choice+DVR+HD+MRV seperately (for example).

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#178 OFFLINE   Tom_S

Tom_S

Icon

• Registered
  • 602 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 09:00 AM

Just because it's not broken out as a separate line item on your bill does not mean it's free. It's just included in some other charge. Companies are not in the business of giving stuff away for free, there is always some means of recouping an investment on their part. e.g. a free upgrade to HD receiver means now you subscribe to higher priced HD programming, see what I mean, Free isn't always free.
Panasonic 58PX60U
DirectTV HR34-700, HR24-500, H23-600

No OTA only Sat
AU9(Slimline) SL3 SWM Dish

All 3 receivers connected via DECA and bridged to 8-port Rosewill RC-410X Gigabit Switch.

#179 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 09:05 AM

The fee sort of goes against Directv's latest ads where they chide Dish for having a bunch of extra charges.

So true. I laughed my a** off last night when I saw that commercial.

*Disclaimer. Do not read this post. This is another “not happy with MRV fee” post.

NFL ST fees = going up
Monthly programming fees = going up
DVR fees = going up
Now, soon to have MRV fees
Now DIRECTV is running an ad campaign stating that DISH has abundant fees. :lol::uglyhamme!rolling

Since our monthly programming fees are going up next month, shouldn’t that more than cover the MRV costs? :scratchin

*Disclaimer. This “not happy with MRV fee” post is now over. Please continue reading at your leisure.

#180 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 09:06 AM

There is a huge contingent up here that wants ala-carte pricing, that's a losing argument.

DirecTV invested time, software development, and hardware development into this solution. If they charge, they are certainly within rights. We all have an equal right to buy not buy into this, too.

D* needs to start creating packages that include all these items (like the choice + DVR + HD), but are cheaper overall, for those that want to take advantage of all D* has to offer without paying alacarte prices.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

spam firewall