Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HR2x and H2x: MRV Opt-In Beta Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
421 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:04 AM

This is a thread for MRV issues only. Other issue posts should be placed in the thread for the appropriate receiver.

When posting MRV issues, please include as much information as possible, such as:

• Model numbers of server and client
  • Network issue reports from both server and client
  • Description of network topology (speed, wired/wireless/powerline)
  • Full description of issue

Please do not post MRV issues in the other issue threads.

The more the better... let's get this thoroughly tested!
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dtomlinson

dtomlinson

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:29 AM

Well, an inauspicious start to MRV for me. I received the update overnight and was excited to see MRV. I successfully set-up my two HD DVRs for MRV (friendly name, beta opt-in, authorized sharing) and was able to see networked programming. But when I tried to view programs from the remote DVR I got the following error messages:
1st try: unable to access media.
2nd try: This content contains copy protection that restricts playback on equipment not connected via HDMI cable (I'm not sure of exact wording.)
3rd try: unable to access Living Room.

When I tried to go back to live TV, I got the banner, could change channels, etc, but got only a blank screen (except for the banner which changed appropriately with channel change) with the 2nd try message. I also didn't have sound. I had to do a receiver restart to get back to live tv.

I'm connected to the network via wired ethernet (10/100). Anybody have any ideas what I should try next?

Dan

#3 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,645 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:50 AM

reboot both receivers is about all I can think of since they're seeing programs from each other, but not playing

#4 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,004 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:53 AM

Hadn't heard of that HDMI message before. Does it make any sense in relation to your setup?

And try the RBR of both units as suggested.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#5 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,839 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:03 AM

:bowdown::bowdown: To those of you who'll be helping those in the MRV issues. It may be a rough time around here. DBSTalkers are good folks.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#6 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,239 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:08 AM

This is a thread for MRV issues only. Other issue posts should be placed in the thread for the appropriate receiver.

When posting MRV issues, please include as much information as possible, such as:

• Model numbers of server and client
  • Network issue reports from both server and client
  • Description of network topology (speed, wired/wireless/powerline)
  • Full description of issue

Please do not post MRV issues in the other issue threads.

The more the better... let's get this thoroughly tested!

Is there a "Report" option in this NR, to be able to send a issue report to DirecTv?

Edited by BubblePuppy, 20 January 2010 - 11:35 AM.

Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,643 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:04 PM

0395 DVR server <DECA> 4395 H21 client
Just played a show off my local NBC [HD]
Using 30 sec skip, these were slightly slower than when doing this on the DVR. Single press and waited for each to complete before pressing again.
During the first 30 mins of the recording had only 2 minor issues. First was a pausing of video while audio continued, for less than a sec.
Second was a minor horizontal line.
Pause playback for about 10 mins and then resumed.
The second half had 5 minor video breakups, also less than a sec each and one also had audio breakup with it.
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

• Registered
  • 5,239 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:16 PM

0395 DVR server <DECA> 4395 H21 client
Just played a show off my local NBC [HD]
Using 30 sec skip, these were slightly slower than when doing this on the DVR. Single press and waited for each to complete before pressing again.
During the first 30 mins of the recording had only 2 minor issues. First was a pausing of video while audio continued, for less than a sec.
Second was a minor horizontal line.
Pause playback for about 10 mins and then resumed.
The second half had 5 minor video breakups, also less than a sec each and one also had audio breakup with it.

Nice report. I'm curious, did you go back and replay the section that had the breakups that occurred after the pause to see if the breakups were in the program or not?

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,643 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:55 PM

Nice report. I'm curious, did you go back and replay the section that had the breakups that occurred after the pause to see if the breakups were in the program or not?

Since I'd already deleted that show [remotely] I played another recording from the same time. This time is was from ABC [720p] and only seemed to have the pauses with loss of audio.
First 2 came by the 6 min mark without using any trickplay other than to replay and "prove" they weren't in the recording.
Next one came at the 16 min mark and also replay showed it wasn't the recording but was a MRV issue.
There were another two that were so short I wasn't sure they were there until the second one happened.
Then at the 26 & 59 min marks were the last and both didn't repeat with replay.

So this playback was the reverse of my first, where it started out without too many and they increased as the show continues, while this one had more in the beginning and trailed off as the show continued.
FWIW: H21-200 report 20100120-4547
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   noseeb13

noseeb13

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 10:54 AM

I tired to set up mine last night and the status shows no networked DVRs.

I have 2 HR20-700s both connected via powerline adapters.
Both pass the network tests
Both can be seen and stream content using DIRECTV2PC so I am pretty sure they should see each other on the network.
I reset a few times, opted out then back in and then left both on over night and still nothing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

#11 OFFLINE   mitchelljd

mitchelljd

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 10:58 AM

just opted in on the new download 395 on two of my three DVR's. will do the other one shortly. but... wondering:

1- how long it will take to kick in and MRV show up again?
2- will those of us who participated in the edge cutter program get a free or discounted MRV function?

#12 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:02 AM

Both can be seen and stream content using DIRECTV2PC so I am pretty sure they should see each other on the network.
I reset a few times, opted out then back in and then left both on over night and still nothing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

After opting-in, have you set each box to share its playlists? If so, the combined playlists should show up within a couple minutes at most.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#13 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,923 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:26 AM

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Have the same problem with my PowerLine adapters (Panasonic BL-PA100As) after I received 0x0395, and no matter what I did just couldn't get the boxes to see each other.

Then it suddenly dawned on me that my PowerLine modules operate essentially in a star topology. With one acting as "master" which connects to the router and all the others as "slave" units.

The slave adapters can only communicate back and forth with the master, not directly between two slaves. I could move the master unit to one of the DVRs, but then all other slave units would lose access to the router.

Perhaps this is your problem.

If so then you are going to have take one of your DVRs off the PowerLine network and use it with WiFi from an ethernet bridge or run a direct ethernet connection from the DVR to the router.

Or just wait for DECA, like I might just do.

Edited by HoTat2, 21 January 2010 - 01:44 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,825 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:27 AM

just opted in on the new download 395 on two of my three DVR's. will do the other one shortly. but... wondering:

1- how long it will take to kick in and MRV show up again?
2- will those of us who participated in the edge cutter program get a free or discounted MRV function?

1) Should be less than a minute or two, if not instantly

2) No
HR34-700, HR24-500, HR22-100, HR20-100, R22-100, R16

My Setup

Diagram of my Directv setup by Milkman

#15 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 990 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:30 AM

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

If devices connected via powerline adapters are on different circuits, they won't necessarily be able to communicate with each other (even if they both see the main network), and if they do see each other, data transfers between them may be too poor for video streaming.

If you can, try moving your powerline adapters to different outlets. Also, make sure the adapters are not on surge protectors.

#16 OFFLINE   judson_west

judson_west

Godfather

• Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:55 AM

My issue is with the inconsistency of this feature. I have a mixture of hardwire and wireless connections and whenever I hit LIST on anyone of my HR20-700's I don't know what to expect. Only once have I seen a combined list of all HR20's on one. Occasionally I will get some on one, but most get none. My PS3 has seen all of the DVR's for months and has been able to display shows and episodes available on them. Obviously, it cannot play anything, but it reliably shows programming off of all of my HR20's.

Another thing happened. When I was able to watch a program, I received a message that the DVR that the program was on had dropped off the network. It also said that I could no longer watch the program. Funny thing was that as long as that message was on my screen, I COULD watch the program. When I hit OK, the program stopped playing and I was sent back to the list of programs on the local DVR.

I am running 1Gb network with a D-Link router and hubs (DIR-655 router, DAP-1522 wireless access point, and DGS-2205 hubs). Obviously, the HR20's are limited to 100Mb.
Video/Audio 1: DirecTV HR24-500 (HDMI)-> Sony STR-DA5200ES -> Sony KDL-52XBR9
Video/Audio 2: DirecTV HR20-700 (HDMI) -> Sony KDL-32EX500
Video/Audio 3: DirecTV HR20-700 (HDMI) -> Sony KDL-40EX500

#17 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

• Registered
  • 5,239 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:09 PM

If devices connected via powerline adapters are on different circuits, they won't necessarily be able to communicate with each other (even if they both see the main network), and if they do see each other, data transfers between them may be too poor for video streaming.

If you can, try moving your powerline adapters to different outlets. Also, make sure the adapters are not on surge protectors.

This is from another thread.:

This is untrue. I've used powerline adapters for years on different circuits. They just all have to be on the same panel. If you have two different panels in your house then powerline will not work if each adapter is on a different panel.

#18 OFFLINE   cdharris

cdharris

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:36 PM

I read the announcements here and on AVS Forum and read the MRV First Look pdf and ran home at lunch to set up MRV. However, none of my 3 HR22s or H21 (all connected to my LAN via ethernet cable) have a "Multi-Room" selection under System Setup. Do I still need to "opt in" before I can set up MRV? If so, how do I do that? Do I have to wait for a software upgrade or can I speed up that process? I paid several hundred $$$ to a professional installer for new equipment and to connect everything to my LAN several months ago in anticipation of MRV and am getting tired of waiting. Thanks.

#19 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,018 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:37 PM

I read the announcements here and on AVS Forum and read the MRV First Look pdf and ran home at lunch to set up MRV. However, none of my 3 HR22s or H21 (all connected to my LAN via ethernet cable) have a "Multi-Room" selection under System Setup. Do I still need to "opt in" before I can set up MRV? If so, how do I do that? Do I have to wait for a software upgrade or can I speed up that process? I paid several hundred $$$ to a professional installer for new equipment and to connect everything to my LAN several months ago in anticipation of MRV and am getting tired of waiting. Thanks.

You have to wait for the latest software update 395.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#20 OFFLINE   dschamis

dschamis

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 03:20 PM

You have to wait for the latest software update 395.

Is there any way to make sure you get this ASAP?

spam firewall