Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

XStreamHD

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 824 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 12:25 PM

the new site is up

http://www.xstreamhd...hp?dest=explore

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 12:32 PM

It seemed so neat, but now it seems like you pay a monthly fee for access to PPV and OTA...pretty stupid IMO if that is the case.

If it was like netflix where you paid a monthly fee and got access to lots of shows/movies, then it would be more worth the price.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,988 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 17 January 2010 - 01:58 PM

"XStreamHD plans to make a limited number of systems available in April 2010."

#4 OFFLINE   mikbro

mikbro

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 02:15 PM

Anyone hear/see any info on whether they will provide CC for their movies/tv content?
Slimline -> SWM-8 -> DirecTV HDPC-21 -> Win7 MCE
FiosTV -> OCUR -> Win7 MCE
Xbox 360 Ext -> HDMI -> 50" Panasonic Plasma
Xbox 360 Ext -> HDMI -> 42" Panasonic Plasma
Xbox 360 Ext -> HDMI -> Epson 6100 -> SI Black Diamond 91" Screen
Onkyo 606 A/V Receiver
Sony PS3

#5 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:35 PM

Anyone hear/see any info on whether they will provide CC for their movies/tv content?

Have not seen any mention. Their website is vague to say the least on actual details (does not even go into pricing).
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#6 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 824 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 03:16 PM

Have not seen any mention. Their website is vague to say the least on actual details (does not even go into pricing).

yeah i emailed abt pricing yesterday and havent recieved any thing. if u sign up for the early bird thing one of the steps is select a plan. there was one press release that said $10 a month plus PPV but didnt say what the ppv prices were. also it doent say anything about a dish. doesnt say its inclided in the 399 prices or what.

#7 OFFLINE   VeniceDre

VeniceDre

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 04:43 PM

Okay, I'm the guinea pig. I tired to pre-order the Pro-Start a couple of weeks ago and had a problem checking out. I received an email on Friday from VP of marketing James Mahoney indicating the checkout issue was resolved and I could go back into my account and finish the pre-order, keeping my reservation spot from 1/20.

He even left a direct contact number which I called and left a message asking for more info.

So for now, I'm out $25. I will post when and if I receive more info.

#8 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,185 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:51 AM

Okay, I'm the guinea pig. I tired to pre-order the Pro-Start a couple of weeks ago and had a problem checking out. I received an email on Friday from VP of marketing James Mahoney indicating the checkout issue was resolved and I could go back into my account and finish the pre-order, keeping my reservation spot from 1/20.

He even left a direct contact number which I called and left a message asking for more info.

So for now, I'm out $25. I will post when and if I receive more info.

Thanks for the update. Keep us posted on how it goes. Looking forward to your "first look". LOL

#9 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 824 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 05:23 PM

what were the select a plan options. did it say how much everything would cost per ppv? they never answered my email. what about the the dish. it doesnt saything about that or was that part of the install step?

#10 OFFLINE   Dave

Dave

Icon

• Registered
  • 864 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:16 PM

Just for those interested about this system. The basic fast start box is $ 399, the Pro start box is $ 499. There is a monthly fee of 9.995 from what I can tell. Hadn't seen an update about the system for awile.

#11 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,490 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:40 PM

There is a monthly fee of 9.995 from what I can tell.

Looks like they're adopting the gas pricing strategy.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#12 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,044 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:20 AM

When I met with these folks at CES 2010, they had some interesting hardware and demos.

On the side, one of their lead engineers admitted that adoption was slower than they had planned, but still moving along OK.

Neat stuff.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#13 OFFLINE   jacosawilliam

jacosawilliam

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 05:08 AM

XStreamHD is launching two hardware bundles: a FAST Start package is priced at $399, while the Pro Start package will be offered for $499. They're essentially identical, with a 1-terabyte media server, an HD media receiver, HDMI and Ethernet cables.

#14 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 18 June 2010 - 05:52 AM

Wait-so you pay $10 a month basically to see which PPV titles are available, then you pay for each one separately? Why charge a monthly fee then? I'm not getting it. Also, any idea how much the movies are going to be?

#15 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 09:25 PM

Wait-so you pay $10 a month basically to see which PPV titles are available, then you pay for each one separately? Why charge a monthly fee then? I'm not getting it. Also, any idea how much the movies are going to be?

according to their website, the $10 is to cover the guide service for the OTA antenna; something you can get free @ titantv.com and even windows media center.

looks like movies will be about $5ea. I read somewhere online that some will be less, about $3, and some even higher around $7.

I can't see this making it very long.

#16 OFFLINE   bigbrother52

bigbrother52

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:50 PM

XStreamHD™ Signs Long-Term Satellite Service Agreement With EchoStar Satellite Services to Support Its Groundbreaking High Definition (HD) Entertainment Service

XStreamHD Will Provide Consumers with First-Ever Full HD Direct-to-Home Cinema Class Movie Service

http://www.prnewswir...e-97386704.html

Turn It Up!

Dish:AT9/Sidecar mounted on 35' tower/18" Oval Back-up on 14' pole
(1)HR20-700/HDMI=>DVDO VP50=>60" Pioneer Elite Pro-150fd
(1)HR20-700/HDMI=>55" Fujitsu Plasmavision 55XHA40US
(2) R-15's
(1) R-10
HR20-700's are temp. Unsupported MRV, networked via hardwired ethernet.
2 HR20's & 1 R-15 are UPS protected

*6/21/10*Upgrading R-mdls with 3 more HRxx's & SWiM16/DECA/DECA=>Broadband Adapter - DVR's to be Supported MRV
D* had a Failure To Install:ramblinon

#17 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,524 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:30 AM

Theoretically this would be very competitive. I say theoretically because you would need line-of-sight to AMC16 plus off-the-air locals and a DLNA/1000Mbps-compatible-network-wired home to make it truly worthwhile.

But with those prerequisites, after you pay for whatever equipment you need (figure at the least $500 for XStreamHD equipment), for $10 a month you can record three OTA programs simultaneously and receive "prefetched" movies and other content in full 1080p/7.1, all without affecting your ISP's monthly cap. Storage can be 4GB internal, plus eSata external, drives. And it is MRV capable.

The pricing is not bad. For $10 a month you immediately can record local channels. Plus for up to $5 each, you rent on-demand Blu-ray movies and other content. At that point, you're paying only for the movies and cable channel content you want, albeit not when it is released at the theaters or a new show on cable TV, but at the best quality. The depth and breadth of content titles must become comparable to Netflix for them to compete well.

Now back to my reality. LOS to AMC16 isn't possible for me and I don't get OTA TV, so it isn't an option in my reality. :(

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#18 OFFLINE   bigbrother52

bigbrother52

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:32 PM

Now back to my reality. LOS to AMC16 isn't possible for me and I don't get OTA TV, so it isn't an option in my reality. :(

This is pretty close to my reality as well, although, locating a seperate dish somewhere pointing at only a single spot in the heavens at 85W may be possible for me.

Placing this dish on the same tower as my DirecTV dish will almost certainly result in yet another tree having to come down so I'm not to keen on that idea.
The logistics involved in creating little mini-dish farms is going to be quite interesting for alot of people.

Turn It Up!

Dish:AT9/Sidecar mounted on 35' tower/18" Oval Back-up on 14' pole
(1)HR20-700/HDMI=>DVDO VP50=>60" Pioneer Elite Pro-150fd
(1)HR20-700/HDMI=>55" Fujitsu Plasmavision 55XHA40US
(2) R-15's
(1) R-10
HR20-700's are temp. Unsupported MRV, networked via hardwired ethernet.
2 HR20's & 1 R-15 are UPS protected

*6/21/10*Upgrading R-mdls with 3 more HRxx's & SWiM16/DECA/DECA=>Broadband Adapter - DVR's to be Supported MRV
D* had a Failure To Install:ramblinon

Protected By... spam firewall...And...