Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Super Mario Bros Wii

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 03:06 PM

So I know there are a bunch of you that are in the same general age range as me, and so you probably grew up playing Super Mario Brothers on the original Nintendos.

If you're anything like me, as simple as the game is, it's still among my favorites.

I had a friend come over just after the holidays. For Christmas, he received Super Mario Bros Wii. It is, in many ways, a reboot of the original. It's not exactly like the original... but similar enough that its sort of like sitting down with an old friend you haven't seen in many years.

After playing it, I had to get it for myself! Just this morning I made my way through the last of the game, finally laying a beat down on big, bad Bowser!

One of the cooler additions to the new game is multiplayer support. Not player 1 gets a turn, then player 2, and so on. Up to 4 players playing the same level at the same time. It's a bit chaotic - we were playing with 3 players, and it's easy to trip all over each other. But even with chaos reigning, it's a heck of alot of fun!

I picked it up a couple of weekends ago - best buy had it on sale for $39.99, and you could pick it up at a local store (one store in our area had 1 copy left). They're not showing it on sale now, though.
"There's a statistical theory that if you gave a million monkey's typewriters and set them to work, they'd eventually come up with the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Internet, we now know this isn't true" -Ian Hart

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   cadet502

cadet502

FHNSAB

• DBSTalk Club
  • 846 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 03:42 PM

DW and the boy got me a Wii for Christmas. I've been playing Mario every night since. I love the nods to the old games, almost tempted to drag the old super NES out of the closet.

Been through once to the end, but I used the Luigi guide to get past some rough spots. I'm going again and try to get through without a continue and for sure without using a guide.

#3 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 03:48 PM

DW and the boy got me a Wii for Christmas. I've been playing Mario every night since. I love the nods to the old games, almost tempted to drag the old super NES out of the closet.

Been through once to the end, but I used the Luigi guide to get past some rough spots. I'm going again and try to get through without a continue and for sure without using a guide.

I managed to make it through without any luigi guides, and without any continues - but only because I figured out you could "turtle tap" to get 99 lives! I had plenty of levels that luigi wanted to guide me through, but I wouldn't let him. ;)

My 5 year old told me the other day when I was playing "Dad, you're a genius at this game! I've never seen anyone play as good as you!". :)
"There's a statistical theory that if you gave a million monkey's typewriters and set them to work, they'd eventually come up with the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Internet, we now know this isn't true" -Ian Hart

#4 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,888 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 04:13 PM

Yep, got it for my daughter for Christmas. Needless to say, I have played it more than her.

Very much like the original.

#5 OFFLINE   cadet502

cadet502

FHNSAB

• DBSTalk Club
  • 846 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 04:28 PM

...My 5 year old told me the other day when I was playing "Dad, you're a genius at this game! I've never seen anyone play as good as you!". :)

My 20 year old just laughs at me when I have trouble jumping off fences and when I do a spin jump for no reason at all. :lol:

#6 OFFLINE   kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 05:36 PM

It gets a bit chaotic on certain levels when 4 people when the screen moves and having to get everyone coordinated to keep up.
my setup here

#7 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 05:52 PM

It gets a bit chaotic on certain levels when 4 people when the screen moves and having to get everyone coordinated to keep up.

That it does. One reviewer I read described it as organized chaos, but that's not even right. It's just chaos. Plain and simple. Trying to coordinate multiple players, while still avoiding the baddies is tough.

I've been working on the secret world today, and I've got to say it is kicking my butt in a major way!

#8 OFFLINE   cadet502

cadet502

FHNSAB

• DBSTalk Club
  • 846 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 07:56 PM

When you get to an area the is clearly easier for one person to negotiate, all the others can go into bubbles by pressing A, just don't let the one left in control come to an untimely end.;)

#9 OFFLINE   drpjr

drpjr

Icon

• Registered
  • 722 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:04 PM

I've been working on the secret world today, and I've got to say it is kicking my butt in a major way!

You and me both.:lol: For some reason I was able to get through 9-8 with all three big coins but can't even finish ANY of the others in level 9.:nono2: Ouch!

#10 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:13 PM

You and me both.:lol: For some reason I was able to get through 9-8 with all three big coins but can't even finish ANY of the others in level 9.:nono2: Ouch!

I've managed to make it through 6 of the 8 levels with all 3 coins.

9-4 and 9-7 are proving to be quite difficult. I haven't even managed to finish them yet, much less get all 3 coins.

For a couple of the levels, I went to 1-1 and got the propeller suit, then returned to the 9-x and, quite literally, flew through the level. :)

#11 OFFLINE   drpjr

drpjr

Icon

• Registered
  • 722 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 07:29 PM

You are most certainly more adept than I am. The ice world with the fire flowers and black flower ice blocks is impossible for me even with the propeller suit. I can't avoid all the fireballs.:nono2: Then the green pipes are so tall that any break in my momentum and I am toast.:lol: I even tried to start the level with a star and I still get hammered. I am to the point now where I start a session with a ton of mushrooms and lives and if I don't make any real progress, I don't save. That way I start my next session loaded up.:D Sad to say I've done that on several occasions. The only thing keeping my spirits up is my VR rating in Mariokart. I finessed my way to 9999 a couple days ago. I was finally able to avoid the hackers long enough to feast on some newbies.:):)

#12 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:02 AM

You've got me beat at MarioKart, then! ;) I haven't played much in quite some time, and I don't have any idea what my rating is, but I'll guarantee that it's not 9999!

The level with the ice blocks and the little black munchie guys frozen in the blocks is the one that's completely kicking my butt.

On 9-4 (I think), I ended up going after 1 coin at a time, and once I got it, just booking it as directly as possible to the finish. I got the first 2 that way. The 3rd requires freezing a flower in order to enter a pipe, and I haven't yet been able to get him frozen and get on top of him before the bombs falling from the sky land on my head and take away my ice. Just before the flower is a platform that drops when there is more than 1 thing on it... so the timing has to be just right to get on the platform, get the flower frozen, jump on it and get into the warp pipe... I've done that level enough times that I can get to that point with my eyes closed, I just can't manage to get the last 2 jumps put together.

I've tried everything on the ice level.... and nothing works, yet. I even resorted to looking around online and seeing if there were any tricks... that level (9-7) is generally regarded as the hardest level in the game. There's a video of that level I found that makes it look so easy... but it's not. :)

#13 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,489 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:04 AM

I haven't played it, but got a Wii for my boys for xmas (4 and 7) and Super Mario Bros is their favorite game so far. They love it.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#14 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:35 AM

My 5 year old liked playing it, but got frustrated pretty quickly...

Once I get through these last two levels, I'll see if he wants to try playing a 2 player game with me and see if that's less frustrating for him.

I'm thoroughly enjoying it, even if the koopas and bullet bills and bob-ombs and fire flowers are all getting the better of me right now. :D

#15 OFFLINE   drpjr

drpjr

Icon

• Registered
  • 722 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 02:11 AM

You've got me beat at MarioKart, then! ;) I haven't played much in quite some time, and I don't have any idea what my rating is, but I'll guarantee that it's not 9999!

The level with the ice blocks and the little black munchie guys frozen in the blocks is the one that's completely kicking my butt.

On 9-4 (I think), I ended up going after 1 coin at a time, and once I got it, just booking it as directly as possible to the finish. I got the first 2 that way. The 3rd requires freezing a flower in order to enter a pipe, and I haven't yet been able to get him frozen and get on top of him before the bombs falling from the sky land on my head and take away my ice. Just before the flower is a platform that drops when there is more than 1 thing on it... so the timing has to be just right to get on the platform, get the flower frozen, jump on it and get into the warp pipe... I've done that level enough times that I can get to that point with my eyes closed, I just can't manage to get the last 2 jumps put together.

I've tried everything on the ice level.... and nothing works, yet. I even resorted to looking around online and seeing if there were any tricks... that level (9-7) is generally regarded as the hardest level in the game. There's a video of that level I found that makes it look so easy... but it's not. :)

That does not bode well for me.:( I can't even finish the level let alone have iceballs at the end for that move into the pipe.:eek2: Also I had to do some avoidance to finish Mariokart. I avoid all hackers whenever possible, The worst are "lag" hackers. I also drop out of any race before it starts with 9999s in it. Weird things happen when there are several in the race. Most of the time the losers don't lose any points when beaten??? All things equal I'm about 8500-8900. Homebrew has really hurt the game but I still love to play.:D

#16 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 04:19 PM

I managed to pass the last of world 9 this afternoon. I've now beat every level and got every coin.

I ended up going with the 1 coin at a time approach again.

The 2nd half of the ice level is much easier than the first half... so I grabbed coin #1 and made my way to the finish. To get the last 2 coins, I made use of my stars - you can pass the hard part before the star runs out... From there, it's a triple jump and you're at coin #2. Coin #3 is the hardest, with two fireballing koopa dudes flanking it... but if you can get to it with the fire ball intact, you can jump the first one without any regard to safety. A couple of jumps to get the other one and then it's just a matter of a fairly tricky wall jump (you've got to land on a single row of vertical ice blocks after your jump or you'll fall into the abyss below).

World 9 was by far the most difficult of all the levels, as it should be, I suppose.

I may have to try replaying and see if I can get through the whole game without ever having a luigi super guide block show up (I never used one, but had plenty of them show up with their annoying doorbell noise).

#17 OFFLINE   drpjr

drpjr

Icon

• Registered
  • 722 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:47 PM

Wow! I AM impressed. I have at least finished all but 9-7.:( I'm going to go back and try the "one coin at a time method" on the others. I think if you fail to finish a world 8 times in a row it triggers the luigi box. I don't know if you can finish another world and "reset" the count. If you finish the game without triggering luigi and get all coins the start screen will show 5 stars for that player.

#18 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:54 PM

Wow! I AM impressed. I have at least finished all but 9-7.:( I'm going to go back and try the "one coin at a time method" on the others. I think if you fail to finish a world 8 times in a row it triggers the luigi box. I don't know if you can finish another world and "reset" the count. If you finish the game without triggering luigi and get all coins the start screen will show 5 stars for that player.

actually, if you make it through without the luigi box showing up, you get 5 "sparkling" stars....

5 stars is for beating every level, using every warp pipe/cannon, getting every coin.... So I have the 5 stars, but they don't sparkle.

And, if you're screwing around and at some point get a luigi box, even after you've gotten to 5 sparkling stars, you'll lose the sparkle...

I read online that some people actually went to the effort of making it all the way through the game without ever losing a life. There was a rumor that you got something special for doing it. Aside from bragging rights, you don't get anything extra in the game.... and I'm not sure how much I'd want to brag about spending the time to finish the entire game without ever losing a life... that's a little extreme even for me. :)

#19 OFFLINE   drpjr

drpjr

Icon

• Registered
  • 722 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 04:08 PM

I'm not sure how much I'd want to brag about spending the time to finish the entire game without ever losing a life... that's a little extreme even for me. :)

Me too. I only do that for the Zeldas.;)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...