Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Tivo

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Poll: Isn't the D* DVR better than Tivo? (41 member(s) have cast votes)

Isn't the D* DVR better than Tivo?

1. Of course! (21 votes [51.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 51.22%

2. Heck No! (9 votes [21.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.95%

3. You're insane, how could anyone like R series over Tivos. (11 votes [26.83%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.83%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 12:44 AM

Am I the only one that likes the D* DVR better than Tivo?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,409 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 19 January 2010 - 12:51 AM

Well, I'll put it this way, after I got my first R15's the R10 went into the guest room and was the first to go when I started upgrading to HD.

I understand that it's a matter of personal taste, but I prefer the new DVR's over the TiVo's.

#3 OFFLINE   erosroadie

erosroadie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:47 AM

I loved D*TiVo when it came out, but the UI for D* is better. The D* units are a bit sluggish, but they have improved (albeit slowly)...

#4 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:07 AM

I never liked the cartoonish Tivo interface, and I never liked the peanut remote, caused me hand cramps due to its small size, made for little girlie hands...:lol:

Except for speed issues I prefer the HR series to anything I have seen from Tivo. Another comment on the Tivo interface, if I wanted to be treated like a 3 year old user, I would buy a fracking MAC. IF Tivo developed an interface that had an advanced user GUI mode, that I might be interested in...

Edited by CCarncross, 19 January 2010 - 09:24 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,261 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:56 AM

Too bad the poll is weighted against the "R" series...two available responses against and only one for. There are some things the TIVO does better, and there are things the HRs do better.

Edited by BubblePuppy, 19 January 2010 - 09:13 AM.

Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#6 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:58 AM

Folks, let's keep the discussion of the new Tivo-based unit in that thread, thanks.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:20 AM

Your missing an option. I have never used a tivo before so I really cant comment.

#8 OFFLINE   CJTE

CJTE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:20 AM

I concur with what CCarncross said above...
The Tivo interface is waaay too cartooney. My 3yr old nephew knows the ins and outs of the tivo very well, which is great for him, I on the other hand prefer something that looks like it brings a little more business to the table.
Tivos have some nice features, and not to mention are rather hackable... (No I didn't say that I was just typing out loud), but I like DirecTVs HD DVRs. Yes, they are slow, and yes, an HR20 recently had a tuner fail on me, but otherwise, I haven't experienced any serious problems with my units.

I've never tried a stand-alone tivo, but I've heard great things about them.
I have tried a few Dish DVRs (A relative has a High Def dish DVR hooked up to her High Def tv over RCA cables... Damn installer, and an ex-girlfriend is a dish sub), I wasn't very keen on their UI, and I couldn't record one thing while watching another (because there was a 2nd TV hooked up to that inparticular unit... Even though it wasn't on and I played with the damn DVR modes or whatever it's called).

SO, DirecTV wins out for me, and that's why I'm still a sub.

#9 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:23 AM

Folks, let's keep the discussion of the new Tivo-based unit in that thread, thanks.

Am I missing something? I see no mention of a new Tivo-based unit in this thread. My thread if your comment was directed at me was just discussing the current Tivo GUI, they could always come out with a GUI update for the current platform as well.

#10 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:26 AM

Perhaps I misunderstood your post. If that's the case, I apologize.

#11 OFFLINE   BakeBarry

BakeBarry

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:28 AM

This is an apples to oranges poll.

We are comparing a Directv Tivo unit from 2003/04 to a DTV HR series from (2006?)that has constantly been improved over the last 3 years.

Until we get a new Directv tivo unit to go head-to-head vs the HR's we really will not know.

#12 OFFLINE   CJTE

CJTE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:39 AM

This is an apples to oranges poll.

We are comparing a Directv Tivo unit from 2003/04 to a DTV HR series from (2006?)that has constantly been improved over the last 3 years.

Until we get a new Directv tivo unit to go head-to-head vs the HR's we really will not know.

Who said we were comparing DirecTVs tivo unit to DirecTVs HD DVR?

#13 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,148 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:58 AM

I didn't vote. This thread appears to be nothing more than yet another rehash of Tivo versus DirecTV DVR technology.

They are different. Different menu, different GUI, different look and feel. You like what you like and you don't like what you don't like. We've had a ton of threads and polls already about who likes which better.

#14 OFFLINE   jal

jal

Icon

• Registered
  • 761 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:14 AM

Tivo is far superior and easier to use than the sophmoric HR2x and Rx UIs. I very much miss Suggestions, and I miss the peanut remote. I cant wait to dump my Hrxs for the new Tivos. About once a month, I hook up my old HR10-250 just to watch old recordings, and I really do miss its capabilities. I think the Hr10 is still better than what Directv has put out over the last few years. Bring the new HD TIVo on now!

#15 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:40 AM

I have to ask again. Does anyone know if the GUI on the new HD TiVo will be anything like the old one? What will the remote look like? It seems to me that everyone is assuming that the new box will be just an MPEG4 HD version of the old TiVos.

And yes, I did have the SD and HD TiVos. I had to move on to the HD DVRs.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#16 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:47 AM

Last warning, this is not the place to discuss the upcoming TiVo product. That discussion is here: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=170081

Protected By... spam firewall...And...