Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

BAY AREA HD LOCALS - Feedback Request from Dish Network

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:27 AM

This afternoon I received the following email from Dish Quality:

We would like to inform you that we are currently scheduled to make major adjustments this week on the SF HD locals. We are hoping you and the rest of the forum customers notice a difference. Very similar to what we did in St. Louis, for the next three days we will be swapping out equipment and making adjustments. We would love to hear the customers’ opinions from within the Spot Beam. Would you be willing to organize a place on the forums so that posters including you can tell us what they are seeing and hearing from now through Monday 1/25/10? We would be most interested to hear if the audio drops have gone away on the recordings of NBC and CBS. Also, FOX did make an adjustment mid December. However a few stations around the country are still dealing with the audio trill/stutter/lip sync to various degrees or not at all. We are still seeing a few complaints on SF-KTVU-FOX for audio issues. We would be curious how the problem is now manifesting itself with the new change. We would also be interested in hearing about any picture quality issues on any of the HD locals. Of course, if a station is having problems it may not go away with this move. However, it could manifest itself differently, be totally masked, or we may still have the problem.

Thank you once again for the assist. We looked forward to hearing what our customers think of their San Francisco’s HD locals now through Monday. Just let us know the link so we can monitor the observations. It is always very helpful when customers state what receiver they are using and the show they are watching. Hope you and the forum crew had a great Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Since a number of the shows I regularly record are reruns this week, I'm hoping others will report their experiences here this week.

NOTE: This is a continuation of the discussions in the threads

Edited by phrelin, 20 January 2010 - 12:32 AM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:22 AM

This is good news! I've forwarded it to my California managers.

#3 OFFLINE   plasmacat

plasmacat

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:55 AM

Human Target on Fox tonight might be a good show to try.

Since the audio issues have been happening I have been recording strictly OTA broadcasts on Fox and on the other locals as well unless there is a conflict. The other locals shows (few) I have recorded lately off the sat feed have been OK audiowise.

However on "24" I had one major audio dropout lasting maybe 10-20 seconds on each night and this was off the OTA feed. One of these was when Starbuck (er Dana) was talking to her excon boyfriend in the parking lot.

#4 OFFLINE   mgs24

mgs24

AllStar

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:01 PM

However on "24" I had one major audio dropout lasting maybe 10-20 seconds on each night and this was off the OTA feed. One of these was when Starbuck (er Dana) was talking to her excon boyfriend in the parking lot.

I had the exact same dropout on my OTA recordings of 24. 722k receiver w/OTA module

#5 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:28 PM

It would be interesting to find out if anyone watched the "24" episode OTA live directly on their HD TV bypassing Dish equipment and heard the audio dropout. I have posted a similar request on the HDTV-in-SFbay Yahoo tech group.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#6 OFFLINE   Everlast

Everlast

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 06:58 PM

My experience with Fox / KTVU since mid-December has been free of audio dropouts. At least I can't recall any incidents since then. Prior to the "adjustment" all you had to do was watch 10-15 minutes and you would notice the stutter.

#7 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:38 AM

We experienced one audio/video freeze followed by about four seconds of black screen in the middle of our recording off the satellite of "Criminal Minds" tonight. ViP722 with the following possible variables: (1) we started watching the recording from the beginning when it was about 35 minutes into the broadcast; (2) we are having bad weather which doesn't usually, but can, cause rain fade, though it didn't look like rain fade. These kinds of freeze and/or black screen incidents are frequent with CBS shows on KPIX.

My AV Setup

#8 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 12:40 AM

Both this week's "Bones" and "Fringe" on KTVU (Fox) were free of any problems, the first time since this season started last fall. ViP722 - both shows were still recording when we started watching them and another HD show was recording at the same time.

My AV Setup

#9 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:26 AM

I've had all kinds of dropouts over the last few days. Grey's Anatomy was bad as well as Private Practice. The dropouts were both video and audio. The picture would freeze and sound would stop for 3-4 seconds. It happened a total of about 8 times between different shows. I also saw this on Last Monday's episode of House.
I'm going to start keeping track of these.

#10 OFFLINE   plasmacat

plasmacat

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:03 AM

Finally watched my recording of Human Target on Fox (sat feed, 622) and it was perfect - no audio dropouts.

#11 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:21 PM

I've had all kinds of dropouts over the last few days. Grey's Anatomy was bad as well as Private Practice. The dropouts were both video and audio. The picture would freeze and sound would stop for 3-4 seconds. It happened a total of about 8 times between different shows. I also saw this on Last Monday's episode of House.

Is this on your 722k from the satellite? I'll watch "Grey's" and "PP" tonight.

My AV Setup

#12 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 12:20 AM

I received the following email from Dish Quality today:

Thank you for organizing the observations on the forums! One of our biggest changes took place early this morning. We look forward to reading the results on Monday. It does help if customers state if they are watching OTA or the DISH feed. It also helps to know if you are seeing it on our feed and if you see it on OTA as well. Sometimes what happens on OTA may be a slight glitch but by the time we run it through our system it can become a bigger problem. If it happens on OTA it may not happen on our feed at the exact same time but somewhat close. Thanks again for organizing. We hope what you saw on KTVU continues! Have a good weekend to all.

So let's keep the information flow going here.

My AV Setup

#13 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 12:35 AM

Well, this is curious. The playback of my recordings of "Grey's Anatomy" and "Private Practice" on my 722 were flawless. They were recorded last night from the satellite feed of KGO (ABC), so I wouldn't think the changes made by Dish this morning would have affected them.

On the other hand, my recording of "The Mentalist" made last night from the satellite feed of KPIX (CBS) has several audio drops and one full audio/video freeze that went to black for about 3 seconds.

In our household's normal recording schedule, tonight there was no normal programming on the broadcast networks and Sunday night are repeats. But Monday we'll have shows on Fox, ABC and NBC and Tuesday we'll get some CBS shows.

Hopefully, others will have a different recording schedule and will report in here whether from the satellite or OTA.

My AV Setup

#14 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 01:33 PM

Yes, from recorded shows. I also had video dropouts where the picture just 'blinked' black for about 1 second.

#15 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 873 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:10 PM

I haven't had any problems to speak of this past week. I do lose track of when a show was aired as I constantly time shift and try to watch the older programs first.

I still do have a problem of the quality of the local satellite signal here in the SF Bay Area.
None of the local HD channels report a signal on the point dish screen. Thus I am unable to tell if I have a dish pointing problem. The locals that are not HD work on the point dish screen.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#16 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 02:00 PM

I haven't had any problems to speak of this past week. I do lose track of when a show was aired as I constantly time shift and try to watch the older programs first.

I still do have a problem of the quality of the local satellite signal here in the SF Bay Area.
None of the local HD channels report a signal on the point dish screen. Thus I am unable to tell if I have a dish pointing problem. The locals that are not HD work on the point dish screen.

The "no lock, no signal strength number" on our spotbeam drives me nuts as I sometimes think I could have a problem with 119° where our HD signals come from. So I then I have to check other transponders and assume things are ok with my transponder 7.

Back in September 2009 I had the following email exchange with Dish Quality:

TO: Dish Quality

Another Dish customer asked me on DBSTalk to check the signal meter
(Menu,6,1,1) after tuning to any San Francisco Bay Area HD local
(Satellite 119 Transponder 7, I believe Spotbeam 4) because he was not
getting a signal lock and meter reading even though the video/audio is
normal for the channels. This was true on his 722, 622 and two 211's. So
I couldn't dismiss the request.

On my 722 and 612 I also get no signal lock and meter reading for
Satellite 119 Transponder 7 despite the fact that the video/audio is
normal for the channels. Transponders 8, 6, and 5 all lock and read just
fine.

I'm sure there must be some reasonable explanation for this. But just in
case this indicates a problem developing which according to Murphy's Law
would interfere with next week's broadcast network season premiers, I
thought I should tell you about it.

Sincerely,
(ME)

Dear (ME),

Thank you for your email. I did some research on this and found that as
long as you are receiving these channels with no problems it should not
affect anything negatively. If you do start having problems please let
me know ASAP. Just curious are you guys now experiencing the temperature
inversions?

EchoStar Broadcasting Corporation
Quality Assurance Department

So apparently it doesn't mean anything.

My AV Setup

#17 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 02:09 PM

Tonight is a night that I'm not recording anything from our HD locals. So if anyone out there watches live or records and watches off the satellite or off the air the NFL games or any prime time shows on HD ABC, Fox, NBC, or CBS (and KRON MyTV, I guess) be sure to report if you did or did not have any audio or video problems.

There are more new episodes of our regular shows on the local HD channels Monday and Tuesday. But the more customers reporting, the better idea we'll have about the effect of the changes. Please indicate your receiver/DVR model, whether you recorded/watched from the satellite or OTA (they want OTA reports as well as satellite) and whether you watched live or a recording.

My AV Setup

#18 OFFLINE   Larry Kenney

Larry Kenney

Legend

• Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 12:23 AM

I'm located in San Francisco using a ViP622 receiver.

I haven't noticed any audio problems on KTVU for several weeks. I've watched all of the "American Idol" shows via the KTVU satellite feed for the past two weeks and they've been fine.

Except for an occasional drop out, I haven't had any reception problems with any of the Bay Area stations. I have no complaints on the reception of any of the HD stations from Dish.

Edit: Added Comment - The reception from my OTA tuner in the 622 of all local stations is fine too.

Larry
SF

Edited by Larry Kenney, 29 January 2010 - 12:25 AM.

#19 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 12:13 PM

I have received reports from some of the Yahoo Group Bay Area HDTV off-the-air members who don't use cable or satellite that "24" had audio dropouts in the two premier episodes, including one member that still has them stored on his TiVo. Also members who had Comcast and DirecTV indicated they had them. So it seems that KTVU and/or Fox does indeed have a problem that has been fixed hopefully.

My AV Setup

#20 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:44 PM

I had a couple of pixelations and frame blinking during the football game on Sunday.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...