Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

BAY AREA HD LOCALS - Feedback Request from Dish Network

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,386 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:53 AM

OK. Recordings off the satellite tonight on the ViP722:
  • One major audio video freeze towards the beginning of "House" on KTVU Fox, but no audio problems; started watching the show from the beginning while it was recording as was "Chuck" also recording.
  • A couple of instantaneous audio drops and one instantaneous gurgle in "Chuck" on KNTV NBC, almost not noticeable; it's recording was completed when we started watching though it was recording simultaneously with "House" and other shows were recording while we watched it.
That's it for broadcast network recordings made since Friday as we watched stuff recorded previously plus "Men of a Certain Age" recorded tonight on TNT which has never been a problem

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,386 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 02:27 PM

Interesting observation from a member of the HDTV-in-SFbay Yahoo Group:

Last night several local stations carried the telethon for Haiti. I took advantage of this to do a comparison of the HD video quality using the OTA receiver in my Dish ViP622 DVR. Here's my opinion, listed best to worst:

1-KPIX5, KMAX31 and KBCW44 - CBS and TheCW
2-KCRA3 and KNTV11 - NBC... a close second
3-KRCB22
4-ABC: KGO7 and KXTV10
5-KQED9
6-FOX: KTVU2 (This surprised me. The video was quite "fuzzy".)
7-KCSM60... was 16:9 but didn't look HD

This was a rare opportunity. It's not often that you have the same program on so many stations.

Boy do I envy his OTA reception having both Bay Area and Sacramento OTA stations.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#23 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,386 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:29 AM

Tonight we watched the follow broadcast network HD shows recorded off the satellite on the 722:
  • "Castle" recorded last night from KGO ABC was flawless.
  • "Leno", at least that portion including Headlines and the interview of Mark Harmon, recorded last night from KNTV NBC was flawless.
  • Then there was "NCIS" from KPIX CBS which started at 8 pm tonight; started watching the show from the beginning while it was recording; exactly 2 minutes into the recording it had an audio drop followed audio/video freeze all taking about 3 seconds but the screen didn't go black (incidentally, these freezes are on the recording and can be played back).
I'm hoping others watch "NCIS" live or recorded from the satellite or OTA and can indicate whether they saw the problem at the beginning.

My AV Setup

#24 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 854 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:04 AM

[*]Then there was "NCIS" from KPIX CBS which started at 8 pm tonight; started watching the show from the beginning while it was recording; exactly 2 minutes into the recording it had an audio drop followed audio/video freeze all taking about 3 seconds but the screen didn't go black (incidentally, these freezes are on the recording and can be played back).
[/LIST]I'm hoping others watch "NCIS" live or recorded from the satellite or OTA and can indicate whether they saw the problem at the beginning.

I had the exact same problem on NCIS last night. Was watching live from Dish.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#25 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:35 PM

Last night on American Idiot,er,uh,,,idol, there was a 4 second video freeze with loss of sound.

#26 OFFLINE   plasmacat

plasmacat

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:21 AM

Watched recordings off the sat feed of Heroes and Human Target (on 622). Both were fine - no glitches.

#27 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,386 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:35 PM

Forgot to post. Shows below were recorded Tuesday from the satellite feed on our ViP722 and watched last night after watching 10 minutes behind a dropout free "State of Union" from KNTV NBC:
  • "NCIS: Los Angeles" from KPIX CBS, no problems.
  • "Human Target" from KTVU Fox, no problems.

My AV Setup

#28 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,386 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 12:54 AM

Just an update on our experience:
  • Thursday's "Bones" on KTVU Fox had one of those freezes around two-three minutes into it but "Fringe" that followed it did not; Friday's "Dollhouse" had no problems.
  • Thursday's "Deep End" on KGO ABC had no problems.
  • Thursday's "Leno" on KNTV NBC interviews of "Bill Paxton" and "Senator Scott Brown" had no problems.
Tomorrow we'll be watching two CBS shows recorded tonight. So far this week, the gurgle sound is gone.

My AV Setup

#29 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,386 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 06:14 PM

Update:
  • Friday's "Medium" and "Numbers" from KPIX CBS had no problems.
  • Saturday's "Hallmark Hall of Fame: The Magic of Ordinary Days" from KPIX CBS had no problems.
Anyone else watching anything on the Bay Area locals who'd like to chime in here?:grin:

My AV Setup

#30 OFFLINE   Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown

Godfather

• Registered
  • 398 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:12 PM

I am still getting these. I need to do a better job of remembering what shows though. Maybe one instance per hour. I know Dollhouse from Fri got hit.

#31 OFFLINE   Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown

Godfather

• Registered
  • 398 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 04:37 PM

At least 3 instances last night on Chuck. I also watched Burn Notice from last Thurs, and while there weren't any of the little audio buzz instances I usually get, there was a multi-second period of garbeled audio and (blacked out) video. Might not be the same thing though.

#32 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,386 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 06:59 PM

We're a little behind in our viewing, but last night we watched the following recorded from the satellite feed on our 722:
  • "The Grammy's" last hour recorded from KPIX CBS Sunday, no problem with the show unless those sound drops during the hip hop number were not deliberate "bleeps."
  • "House" recorded from KTVU Fox had no problems.
  • "Two and a Half Men" and "The Big Bang Theory" from KPIX had no problems.

At least 3 instances last night on Chuck. I also watched Burn Notice from last Thurs, and while there weren't any of the little audio buzz instances I usually get, there was a multi-second period of garbeled audio and (blacked out) video. Might not be the same thing though.

We'll check out "Chuck" tonight. Yes, we had the problem with "Burn Notice" but it seemed to have started with pixelation so I'm not exactly sure what happened there. I haven't been reporting cable channel shows we watch, but I'll keep an eye on them as we watch the full lineup of USA and TNT prime time shows.

I'll be curious to see how tonight's "Lost" on KGO ABC fares though I doubt I can get my wife to sit through the whole three hours (less commercials) in one night.:grin:

My AV Setup

#33 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,386 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 12:24 AM

Update:
  • "Chuck" from KNTV NBC Monday indeed did have several problems as reported above by Kevin Brown including one full "gurgle" followed by a full audio loss as well as minor audio drops.
  • "NCIS" from KPIX CBS tonight had a couple of instantaneous audio drops while "How I Met Your Mother" and "Accidentally on Purpose" from Monday did not.
  • "Lost" from KGO ABC - we skipped through the first hour recap episode; we have watched the first hour of the two hour episode with no problems.

My AV Setup

#34 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,386 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 11:07 AM

Little behind in my updates from my recordings on my ViP722 off the satellite:
  • From KTVU Fox, Wednesday's "Human Target" had one pixelation episode and Thursday's "Bones" had one pixelation episode with a freeze.
  • From KPIX CBS, Tuesday's " NCIS: Los Angeles" and Wednesday's "Criminal Minds" had no problems.
  • From KGO ABC, Wednesday's "The Middle", "Modern Family", and "Cougar Town" had no problems.
I cannot guarantee that the pixelation on KTVU's "Human Target" was not weather related as I have no recordings we watch from other locals at that time. I will be able to check KGO's "The Deep End" and NBC comedies to see if there was a corresponding problem to the one I saw on "Bones."

Anyone else in the Bay Area have anything to report on locals?

My AV Setup

#35 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 854 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 05:16 PM

The 8PM preview episode of Survivors called "Surviving Survivors" last night on CBS Ch5 had a brief freeze about 2 or 3 minutes into it. I was watching live and went back and looked at the recording of it and the freeze was there too. Freeze lasted probably 3 or 4 seconds.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#36 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,386 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 05:43 PM

The 8PM preview episode of Survivors called "Surviving Survivors" last night on CBS Ch5 had a brief freeze about 2 or 3 minutes into it. I was watching live and went back and looked at the recording of it and the freeze was there too. Freeze lasted probably 3 or 4 seconds.

I'm beginning to wonder about that "2-3 minutes into the show" freeze on KPIX. Wonder if there is something they do regularly, but not always that screws things up?

EDIT:
Update:
  • From KGO ABC, Thursday's "Grey's Anatomy" and "Private Practice" had no problems.
  • From KTVU Fox, Thursday"s "Fringe" had no problems.
  • From KPIX CBS, Thursday's "The Mentalist" had no problems.
  • From KNTV NBC, Thursday's "Community" and "Parks & Recreation" had no problems.

Edited by phrelin, 06 February 2010 - 05:50 PM.

My AV Setup

#37 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,386 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 01:26 PM

Ok, I'm a bit behind here. But I'm going to make some general observations, again from the standpoint of recording off the satellite.
  • I'm getting increased pixelation with KPIX CBS - the Superbowl was full of it on my 612's recording which may have more to do with the 612, but in regular programming on my 722 I'm seeing more than I did three weeks ago.
  • I'm getting the 4 second audio-video freeze within the 2-3 minute window in the beginning of shows on an infrequent-but-often-enough basis to wonder what that's all about.
  • The audio gurgle (usually followed by a freeze) so far is completely gone from the locals except KNTV NBC where I didn't see it often before - that KNTV is the only one of the HD locals not fed from Sutro Tower at least raises a question in my mind.
If anyone else from the Bay Area DMA has any observations, please chime in, whether you record from the satellite or OTA or watch live.

My AV Setup

#38 OFFLINE   Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown

Godfather

• Registered
  • 398 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:48 PM

I recorded the Super Bowl, and then watched it later, but I can't remember any problems.

Unfortunately, I'm finding that when these little glitches happen, if I'm not In "active brain" mode, I just pass them off subconciously as "it is what it is", and then I forget I even saw them.

I plan to watch Chuck tonight though.

Also, I thought this was just random, but I'll mention it anyway. When I recorded the 1-26 episode of Human Target, about 16 min in (or so), my box crashed. Had to reboot, and then it automatically finished up the recording.

#39 OFFLINE   finniganps

finniganps

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:55 AM

I had a few pixalation issues with the Superbowl (live), but nothing else I remember recently.

#40 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,386 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 12:16 PM

Ok. I feel comfortable observing that the "gurgle, audio drop, sometimes with a full freeze" that was very frequent four months ago on KTVU, KGO, and KPIX appears to be gone. I haven't watched enough on KNTV NBC to know.

It also appears that the endemic audio dropouts are gone, but I'm still seeing occasional audio/video freezes mostly with KPIX in the first 2-3 minutes of a recording which is probably unrelated to the fix for the Bay Area DMA.

So I'm feeling like the problems reported in the Bay Area Fox KTVU 2 Audio-Video Problems thread have been resolved. But I'll still keep this thread alive for awhile.

Last night from my recordings on my ViP722 off the satellite:
  • From KTVU Fox "House" had no problems.
  • From KPIX CBS "Two and a Half Men" and "The Big Bang Theory" had no problems.
The odds of being able to report this result two months ago were slim.

My AV Setup

spam firewall