Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

External Hard Drives

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:19 PM

What do you guys recommend for an external hard drive? Are they difficult to install? I have a 722.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,699 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:29 PM

Any; best ratio size/price is 1.5 TB for $89.99 as today.

#3 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,292 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:40 PM

What do you guys recommend for an external hard drive?

Skim through the External Hard Drives That Work thread. I have five Western Digital MyBook Essential drives.

Are they difficult to install? I have a 722.

No. Plug in the power supply and the USB cable. The system formats the drive. Glitches can occur, but most people find it mostly flawless.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#4 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 09:31 AM

Thanks. Anybody else have any particular brands they like? Is TB a brand name? What is a MyBook Essential Drive. Do you shop for external hard drives online or buy locally? There doesn't seem to be a lot of talk her about external hard drives yet I'm sure many out there could use one.

#5 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 10:04 AM

While not a hard drive, I use the item below in place of a hard drive enclosure to hold my external drives. It's very cheap and very handy.
Posted Image
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,699 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:06 AM

ThermalTake BlacX was the first one; today we have so many clones ...

#7 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:39 AM

Azio is $15.99 after $10 rebate.
http://www.meritline...hq_v=797fb1bbcb
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#8 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,251 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:49 AM

The DISH solution isn't particularly finicky. It has taken just about every major name brand drive I've thrown at it. The one caveat is that you may want to disable the power saving mode on devices that implement it.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#9 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,292 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 12:55 PM

Thanks. Anybody else have any particular brands they like? Is TB a brand name? What is a MyBook Essential Drive. Do you shop for external hard drives online or buy locally? There doesn't seem to be a lot of talk her about external hard drives yet I'm sure many out there could use one.

Of my 5 Western Digital MyBook Essential Drives, two are an older version, three are a newer version, and they all work flawlessly including being able to wind down to sleep mode.

The most recent version I'm aware of (which I don't have) has some "clever" new Windows firmware/software virtual CD system on it that practically everyone hated and screwed with its compatibility with the ViPs, so Western Digital had to provide a "fix" on their web site so you could eliminate it on your Windows computer before moving it to your ViP for formatting.

For $109.00 Amazon has the 1 TB version here with this information:

New Updates for WD SmartWare Software (11/16/09): This update implements customer feedback requests to: hide the Virtual CD (VCD), enhance the ability to opt-out of WD SmartWare completely, and exit WD SmartWare from the Windows system tray. Visit Western Digital Support to download your update by inputting the model number of your hard drive.

Right now you ultimately end up at this web page which has a series of instructions ending in the final "Verify that the VCD no longer appears." This is an example of how to frustrate your customer base for a perfectly usable product.:nono:

Western Digital still sells without the new worthless VCD feature a 500GB Essential renamed as My DVR Expander USB Edition which they specifically state is compatible with DISH Network ViP Series HD DVRs. It's available at Amazon for $112.76. The trade off is half the storage in order to avoid having to spend time to undo the the "clever" virtual cd firmware/software.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#10 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:14 PM

Seems odd that the new bigger version is less expensive than the older smaller version. Anybody else have any luck with different brands other than Western? How about Seagate? An external hard drive seems like a good product for Dish to sell to it's customers. I think I'll google "external hard drives for Dish Network DVR's and see what's out there.

#11 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:21 PM

Interesting. I was led to a Dish Network page promoting two different Seagate hard drives. One was 500GB and the other was 1TB. No price was listed for either and they are both listed as out of stock. What is the GB of the 722 anyway?

#12 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,699 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:59 PM

#13 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 04:56 PM

I read all the owner reviews regarding the 500gb Western hard drive. More than 50% had failures within 18 months. Several were adamant about never buying a Western product. I know Seagate is a big hard drive manufacture and they were the only one listed on the Dish site. It seems odd that both Seagate models are out of stock. Anybody out there using one of these?

#14 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:16 PM

I will not buy WD.

I had one fail in a month, after being new, in the box for a year. Because it was over a year since I bought it, WD refused to replace it.

I have had relatively good luck with IBM/Hitachi and Samsung. The real difference to look for is warrantee service. HD's from most manufacturers used to be guaranteed for seven years. Now you have to pay extra for that.
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

#15 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,292 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:25 AM

On computers I've had drives of all brands I can think of fail including WD and Seagate. I have five WD MyBook Essentials and none have failed yet, but they could. With that said...

Seagates are typically fine drives. Maxtor is a subsidiary of Seagate and I've successfully used Maxtors on computers over the years. Early on, people had problems with Seagate drives with the ViPs because they wouldn't wake out of sleep mode unless power to the drive was shut off and on. But there's a utility that took care of that problem.

Regarding the Dish sales pitch on drives, Dish first sold the WD drive. Now they sell the Seagate drive. You'll pay a premium for either basically for nothing.

Don't drive yourself nuts over this. Skim through the External Hard Drives That Work thread, find a deal on one of the drives in the list in the first post, and have at it.

My AV Setup

#16 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:19 AM

Thanks for the input everybody. Nothing better than owner opinions.

#17 OFFLINE   dakeeney

dakeeney

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:15 PM

I use a seagate 1TB. So far it works great

#18 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 02:12 PM

I use a seagate 1TB. So far it works great

How long have you had it? Was it hard to install? Which DVR are you using it with? Where did you buy it? Thanks

#19 OFFLINE   Dish97

Dish97

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:45 PM

Just formatted a WD My Book Essential 1.5TB drive from BBuy (159.00). There is 1.39TB of space available. Or was. Have moved about twenty movies to the drive. Seems to be working o.k. Had up to now used only a 1TB and several 750gb drives.

#20 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:43 PM

Here is where I am after hours and hours of research. The EHD of choice seems to be the WDBAAF0015HBK NEFR for a 1.5 version. Several have mentioned that this new WD Essential model has something called Smartware and that even though the Dish DVR will reformat the EHD it will stop working properly after a day or so. The EHD must be installed on your computer and have the Smartware disabled. Can anybody else add some insight to this? Does all this information seem correct?

spam firewall