Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Have had an R10 for 4 years, what's next?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SCDishMan2006

SCDishMan2006

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:56 PM

So I've had an R10 for 4 years and I'm ready for something else. I'm interested in the Directv on Demand service, remote scheduling (I don't have the 6.4a update or a phone line) and I don't need HD. I don't see getting an HDTV for probably another year.

What should I do?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Blurayfan

Blurayfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:08 PM

So I've had an R10 for 4 years and I'm ready for something else. I'm interested in the Directv on Demand service, remote scheduling (I don't have the 6.4a update or a phone line) and I don't need HD. I don't see getting an HDTV for probably another year.

What should I do?

Upgrading to a HD-DVR now will give you the features your interested in and extras. Bigger hard drive than what's available in a SD-DvR, access to the HD channels which have better picture quality than the Standard def version. These channels are viewable because the DVR will downconvert the signal for your TV. This way when you do get a HDTV your already able to receive the HD no need to upgrade again.

Slimlin-5 with SWM16
HR44-700 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 4.0 TB
HR24-500 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 2.0 TB
HR21-700 with DECA adapter for network
Network: Netgear R7000
Internet: Comcast 105/20

#3 OFFLINE   SCDishMan2006

SCDishMan2006

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:18 PM

Upgrading to a HD-DVR now will give you the features your interested in and extras. Bigger hard drive than what's available in a SD-DvR, access to the HD channels which have better picture quality than the Standard def version. These channels are viewable because the DVR will downconvert the signal for your TV. This way when you do get a HDTV your already able to receive the HD no need to upgrade again.

Thanks for responding to my post. A couple questions:

1.) Would a new HD-DVR require a phone line for anything? I don't have one, and constantly have to delete the daily, nagging message from my R10.

2.) Would I be able to activate the HD-DVR without adding a monthly fee for HD?

3.) How much would the HD-DVR cost? I only need one, and am out of contract in about a month.

4.) What's the current model? Would I be better off waiting for the Tivo HD HDVR?

Thanks for any help you're able to provide.

#4 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:25 PM

1) no
2) no
3) call D* for uprade deals
4) HR22/23 most likely (I wouldn't hold my breath for a Tivo as yet)
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#5 OFFLINE   Blurayfan

Blurayfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:29 PM

Thanks for responding to my post. A couple questions:

1.) Would a new HD-DVR require a phone line for anything? I don't have one, and constantly have to delete the daily, nagging message from my R10.

2.) Would I be able to activate the HD-DVR without adding a monthly fee for HD?

3.) How much would the HD-DVR cost? I only need one, and am out of contract in about a month.

4.) What's the current model? Would I be better off waiting for the Tivo HD HDVR?

Thanks for any help you're able to provide.

1. A phone line isn't required and no nags are displayed. HD-DVRs HR2x can connect by internet, but also not required.

2. Depends on your location, in some areas the HR2x are being activated without the HD Access fee since these areas need MPEG-4 boxes for locals. Otherwise there would be a $10/month HD fee.

3. The HD-DVRs go for about $199, however DirecTV does sometimes offer them at discounted prices. Need to call and ask.

4. The current released models are HR22/HR23. The TiVo model is due before the end of the year.

Keep in mind any new receiver regular or HD receiver will come with a two-year commitment.

Slimlin-5 with SWM16

#6 OFFLINE   SCDishMan2006

SCDishMan2006

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:35 PM

Keep in mind any new receiver regular or HD will come with a two-year commitment.

What would my options be to avoid the contract? Could I buy an R22 off eBay and activate it?

If I were to wait until the R10 finally died, then have it replaced under the protection plan, would that cause a contract extension?

Thanks for all your help. This is a fantastic online community you have here.

#7 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,553 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:40 PM

If you can find a previously OWNED HD DVR, then you can activate on it on your account as "owned", not "leased". But be very careful buying used DirecTV Receivers/DVRs that way. Too many sellers misrepresent stolen or leased items. Always get the "Receiver ID Number" from the seller and verify its subscription status by calling DirecTV yourself. And you'll still need to buy a new Access Card from DirecTV for $20.

Replacement of an OWNED Tivo DVR with a newer non-Tivo SD DVR should not trigger a contract extension. Only upgrades do that. But realize that you probably won't get an R22 that way. More likely an R15 or R16 SD DVR.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#8 OFFLINE   Blurayfan

Blurayfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:41 PM

What would my options be to avoid the contract? Could I buy an R22 off eBay and activate it?

If I were to wait until the R10 finally died, then have it replaced under the protection plan, would that cause a contract extension?

Thanks for all your help. This is a fantastic online community you have here.

Buying a receiver off Ebay is risky and DirecTV may still require a contract. If you replaced the R10 under the protection plan there should not be a contract extension. However you get whatever they send no chance to pick the model you prefer.

Slimlin-5 with SWM16

#9 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:11 AM

Buying a receiver off Ebay is risky and DirecTV may still require a contract. If you replaced the R10 under the protection plan there should not be a contract extension. However you get whatever they send no chance to pick the model you prefer.

If you buy a receiver off of ebay and it is an owned receiver, there will be no contract extension. If it is a leased receiver, DirecTV will not even let you activate it.

And a replacement under the PP DOES NOT extend your commitment.

As for getting an HD-DVR without and HDTV, it has been stated that sometimes DirecTV/installers will not let you do this. This is due to the fact that they want to be able to test that the HD service is working correctly so they don't have to come back out at a later time.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#10 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 23 January 2010 - 12:32 PM

As for getting an HD-DVR without and HDTV, it has been stated that sometimes DirecTV/installers will not let you do this. This is due to the fact that they want to be able to test that the HD service is working correctly so they don't have to come back out at a later time.

- Merg

SOme may not like this but does anyone blame them for not wanting to do it if they have the potential to get charged back for something they have no way to test or any control over? I for one dont.

#11 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 January 2010 - 06:43 PM

SOme may not like this but does anyone blame them for not wanting to do it if they have the potential to get charged back for something they have no way to test or any control over? I for one dont.

I completely understand it. I wasn't criticizing it at all, just informing the OP that they might not be able to get an HD receiver with a SDTV.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#12 OFFLINE   SCDishMan2006

SCDishMan2006

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:24 PM

I hooked up my R10 to a neighbor's phone line and forced a call at least 10 times...and one time, it was downloading for a very long time, perhaps 30 minutes...but then subsequent calls were short and sweet.

Bottom line: I am still stuck on software version 6.3e-01-2-521. I've rebooted the receiver multiple times.

Anyone know what gives?

#13 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:43 PM

I hooked up my R10 to a neighbor's phone line and forced a call at least 10 times...and one time, it was downloading for a very long time, perhaps 30 minutes...but then subsequent calls were short and sweet.

Bottom line: I am still stuck on software version 6.3e-01-2-521. I've rebooted the receiver multiple times.

Anyone know what gives?

I read somewhere that once a receiver has been flagged as downloading the new software there is nothing that can be done to get it again. It's possible this happened. I believe weaknees was selling HD's with the new OS preloaded but those were mainly for people wanting to upgrade their drive. At this point I would say unless you cannot in no way shape or form go away from TiVo going to a new DVR would be better.

#14 OFFLINE   SCDishMan2006

SCDishMan2006

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:47 PM

I read somewhere that once a receiver has been flagged as downloading the new software there is nothing that can be done to get it again. It's possible this happened. I believe weaknees was selling HD's with the new OS preloaded but those were mainly for people wanting to upgrade their drive. At this point I would say unless you cannot in no way shape or form go away from TiVo going to a new DVR would be better.

Thanks for replying. I'm going to give up. It works and is functional, I'm not going to care about remote scheduling. Perhaps the "coming soon" DirecTivo will finally arrive.

Shame on Directv for ever selling DVRs that absolutely required a phone in the first place. Landlines have been dying for 10 years. There's no reason this box shouldn't have a functioning ethernet port that connects to the Internet.

But that's another argument. If I want MLB Network, I have to bow to the mighty blue tornado and accept what they give me.

#15 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,553 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:28 PM

Shame on Directv for ever selling DVRs that absolutely required a phone in the first place. Landlines have been dying for 10 years. There's no reason this box shouldn't have a functioning ethernet port that connects to the Internet.

You can thank Tivo for that. It's part of the original Tivo design.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21

#16 OFFLINE   whitepelican

whitepelican

Godfather

• Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:41 AM

You can thank Tivo for that. It's part of the original Tivo design.

All of the original non-DVR DirecTV boxes required phone connections as well, so I don't see how Tivo had anything to do with that requirement.

#17 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,849 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:31 AM

All of the original non-DVR DirecTV boxes required phone connections as well, so I don't see how Tivo had anything to do with that requirement.

Those are two separate requirements. One (Tivo) was (and still is) a Tivo requirement. Tivo DVRs were required to call "home" for various reasons, including authorization for new software.

DirecTV policy did (and still does) require a phone line connection to every receiver. That is for two purposes. First, it is how the receiver reports pay per view purchases via the remote and second, it is one way of verifying that all receivers on an account are at the same location.

Recently, DirecTV has not enforced the phone line policy because of the transition in personal telecommunications (a combination of more cellular use and VOIP - neither of which works with analog modem connections). But it is still policy.

DirecTV had nothing to do with the requirement for Tivo DVRs to call Tivo.

#18 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,553 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:32 AM

Only required to report PPV purchases, and that's still true. But the Tivos can't even be initially setup without an initial "phone home".

#19 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:59 AM

Tivo DVRs were required to call "home" for various reasons, including authorization for new software.

Actually I believe the bigger goal is to confirm "Account Status". If you watch on the screen when the TiVo connects it's one of the first steps, along with setting the clock.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#20 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,849 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:27 AM

Actually I believe the bigger goal is to confirm "Account Status". If you watch on the screen when the TiVo connects it's one of the first steps, along with setting the clock.

That is certainly part of "various" reasons. And to clarify, we are talking about account status at Tivo, not at DirecTV. Both must be valid/current.

The real point Litzdog911 and I are both trying to make is that the telephone requirement for the DirecTivo products (including the R10) is a Tivo requirement. Don't blame DirecTV for that requirement (even though they also have a phone line requirement).

spam firewall