Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Have had an R10 for 4 years, what's next?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   whitepelican

whitepelican

Godfather

• Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 09:36 AM

The real point Litzdog911 and I are both trying to make is that the telephone requirement for the DirecTivo products (including the R10) is a Tivo requirement. Don't blame DirecTV for that requirement (even though they also have a phone line requirement).

And my point was, why blame Tivo for something that has been on every DirecTV box ever produced and has always been policy for DirecTV?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:32 AM

And my point was, why blame Tivo for something that has been on every DirecTV box ever produced and has always been policy for DirecTV?

The difference is Tivos need it for full functionality, none of the D* boxes need it.

#23 OFFLINE   whitepelican

whitepelican

Godfather

• Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:52 AM

The difference is Tivos need it for full functionality, none of the D* boxes need it.

The Tivo boxes need to phone in exactly once, during guided setup. After that they never need to be connected to a phone line. And since DirecTV turned off my standard Hughes receivers more than once because they weren't connected to phone lines, I wouldn't say the Tivos are the only ones that are required to be connected.

#24 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,400 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 February 2010 - 11:18 AM

The Tivo boxes need to phone in exactly once, during guided setup.

Do you have complete knowledge of the details of what the agreement between DIRECTV and TiVo includes? It may indeed specify that DIRECTV must insure that the DirecTiVo is connected. Perhaps DIRECTV was unable to negotiate this condition out of their current agreement because their own agreement(s) included this requirement at that time.

DIRECTV doesn't seem to be very good about how it establishes and follows its rules. It seems that there is a lot of wiggle room involved where it is literally not provided for. The "cabin" argument is an excellent example of this.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#25 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:19 PM

The Tivo boxes need to phone in exactly once, during guided setup. After that they never need to be connected to a phone line. And since DirecTV turned off my standard Hughes receivers more than once because they weren't connected to phone lines, I wouldn't say the Tivos are the only ones that are required to be connected.

Tivos would nag you constantly if they could not call in every 30 days or so. They required a phone line not to nag you and for software updates. All other receivers only needed a phone line for PPV purchases. The Tivos liked to be connected so they could send back viewer data and talk to Tivo. They actually called in to a different Tivo number just like the standalone Tivos did at the time. I even set mine up to call through the internet via a special serial connection just to get around the nag message and since I could not get a phone line to where my Tivo was (but it did have internet there).

I have had Directv since 1996 and never had a phone line on my receivers (because I could not get a line to them in their old spot) except for now with my HD-DVR simply for Caller ID. I also have lots of friends and family with Directv receivers that have never been connected to phone lines. No issues at all.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#26 OFFLINE   whitepelican

whitepelican

Godfather

• Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:15 PM

I have had Directv since 1996 and never had a phone line on my receivers (because I could not get a line to them in their old spot) except for now with my HD-DVR simply for Caller ID. I also have lots of friends and family with Directv receivers that have never been connected to phone lines. No issues at all.

Which just goes to show you how randomly DirecTV enforces their own rules. I had my receivers (not DTivos) turned off on a couple of different occasions because they weren't connected to phone lines. The DTivos never had that problem, though.

#27 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,711 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:25 PM

Which just goes to show you how randomly DirecTV enforces their own rules. I had my receivers (not DTivos) turned off on a couple of different occasions because they weren't connected to phone lines. The DTivos never had that problem, though.

I doubt that's why they were "turned off". Usually this just happens if they're disconnected from the satellite signal too long.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#28 OFFLINE   whitepelican

whitepelican

Godfather

• Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 03:48 PM

I doubt that's why they were "turned off". Usually this just happens if they're disconnected from the satellite signal too long.

Well, doubt all you want if you enjoy that sort of thing. But the receivers were never disconnected from the satellite at all. All of the "mirrored" receivers were shut off, while the one main one was left on. When I called in to DirecTV to report the problem they claimed that it was due to not having the phone line connected. This happened maybe three times over the course of 4-5 years, and each time when I called in I was told they were shut down for the same reason.

#29 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,711 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:48 PM

Well, doubt all you want if you enjoy that sort of thing. But the receivers were never disconnected from the satellite at all. All of the "mirrored" receivers were shut off, while the one main one was left on. When I called in to DirecTV to report the problem they claimed that it was due to not having the phone line connected. This happened maybe three times over the course of 4-5 years, and each time when I called in I was told they were shut down for the same reason.

Well at least you got them "turned on" again. It's not something I've ever seen reported, so I don't think it's very common.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#30 OFFLINE   whitepelican

whitepelican

Godfather

• Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 05:42 PM

Well at least you got them "turned on" again. It's not something I've ever seen reported, so I don't think it's very common.

You've seen it reported now. Obviously this was several years ago, and as I said it happened more than once.

#31 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,233 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 28 February 2010 - 12:24 PM

When I first got DirecTV (mid 90's) I had a single receiver (all that was available). I had multiple phone lines in my house, and connected the receiver to a secondary line that was primarily used for modems, not voice. However I gave DirecTV my voice number when setting up the account.

About two months later I got a phone call about the fact that the receiver was not connected to the phone line at my house. They (DirecTV) were adamant that I had to connect the phone line showing on my account to the receiver.

Today, I only have a phone line connected to one receiver (and that only for caller ID) and have never gotten a call or complaint. Times change.

#32 OFFLINE   hombresoto

hombresoto

Legend

• Registered
  • 226 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:22 PM

Recently, DirecTV has not enforced the phone line policy because of the transition in personal telecommunications (a combination of more cellular use and VOIP - neither of which works with analog modem connections). But it is still policy.

DirecTV had nothing to do with the requirement for Tivo DVRs to call Tivo.

This is not true. If you are a contractor technician (at least in the northeast), you are REQUIRED to connect 35% of all IRDs activated on new installs to a phone line. If you do not meet this requirement:
1. you will be charged back $2 for EVERY work order completed during the measurement period. Every service, upgrade, movers, and install work order.
2. you will not be routed new install work orders, as the supervisors bonuses are tied to these numbers
3. eventually you will not receive any work whatsoever.

Years ago, the requirement was 65%, and if you did not meet that metric you would be charged back $5 per box for every box you activated on new installs for the month. That really added up. No wiggle room either. 64%? Too bad, you're getting charged back $500 for the 100 boxes you installed last month.

So in summary, D* has RELAXED the phone line requirement, but has certainly not ELIMINATED it.
SBCA Level 3 Installer. 7,000 dishes installed and counting.

#33 ONLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,273 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 March 2010 - 06:10 PM

I think the issue here is if the customer has to have the phone line connected. While techs might be required (35% of the time) to connect the phone line, the customer could very well just disconnect the line after the tech walks out.

The customer agreement states the following:

For optimal performance of your Receiving Equipment, including ordering with your remote control or receiving certain Services, each of your receivers must be directly connected to the same land-based telephone line. If you add Service on additional TVs, you may purchase a separate subscription for each additional TV, or, if all your receivers are continuously connected to the same land-based telephone line, we can "mirror" programming to your additional TVs and charge you only the fee amount described in Section 2.

So, while connecting you receiver to a phone line is not mandatory, you need to do it to have your additional receivers mirrored to the programming on your initial receiver. Does DirecTV still enforce this section? Not that I know of, but it is there and they could use it if they so desired.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#34 OFFLINE   SCDishMan2006

SCDishMan2006

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:05 AM

Wow...never thought I would touch off such a firestorm!

My point is this: this is 2010. Home satellite television is so extremely advanced...and yet...Directv and Tivo insist on tying its full functionality to a 134-year-old technology.

It is baffling. An ethernet jack can accomplish the exact same thing.

This addiction to dinosaur technology reminds me of the ongoing fax machine fetish.

People and companies can't let it go. Why? Other choices are far superior.

#35 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,400 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:40 AM

It is baffling. An ethernet jack can accomplish the exact same thing.

This is not a correct statement. To wit:

1. Not all DIRECTV receivers have Ethernet capability (none of the currently manufactured SD models, assuming they are still being manufactured, do).

2. Ethernet addresses cannot generally be tied to a a particular household.

The phone line requirement was intended, among other purposes, to insure that people weren't leasing receivers and using them at their places of business. If you took all of your receivers somewhere else and hooked them up, they would only be able to tell that they were all on the same LAN. They wanted to know that they were all in your home, not just all in one place.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#36 OFFLINE   SCDishMan2006

SCDishMan2006

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:08 AM

The phone line requirement was intended, among other purposes, to insure that people weren't leasing receivers and using them at their places of business. If you took all of your receivers somewhere else and hooked them up, they would only be able to tell that they were all on the same LAN. They wanted to know that they were all in your home, not just all in one place.

That may be true, however that is a level of control Directv is just going to have to give up.

In another couple years, landline networks are going to begin being turned off. It's a dead technology.

#37 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:10 AM

That may be true, however that is a level of control Directv is just going to have to give up.

In another couple years, landline networks are going to begin being turned off. It's a dead technology.

Landlines will be around much longer than a couple of years...

#38 OFFLINE   SCDishMan2006

SCDishMan2006

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:18 AM

Landlines will be around much longer than a couple of years...

Not if AT&T has anything to say about it:

http://consumerist.c...-landlines.html

Protected By... spam firewall...And...