Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

MRV and Networking

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 567 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 23 January 2010 - 04:20 PM

Now that MRV is going into BETA I thought I'd try and get it working a little better with my network. I currently hook both DVR's up through wireless G connections. This is fine for SD programing but is really hopeless for HD.

First, I should tell you the house is over 100 years old and almost impossible to pull wire from 1 floor to the next. Also, powerline adapters are not an option.

My question is, how many people have had success running HD through MRV with a wireless N connection? My first thought was to change to wireless N but it's not as simple as just changing hardware. Since I have FIOS Internet and the router is hooked up over COAX I have to run some type of dual router setup. I'm willing to put in the work if there is a decent chance it will be worth it. I know no one can tell me exactly how well my system will work but can you tell me if yours is working.

In the alternative, am I better off waiting for DECA to become avaliable? I currently don't have SWM but I'm willing to make the investment if that's what it takes.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Edited by Billzebub, 23 January 2010 - 08:01 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 04:23 PM

I have zero issues with MRV over wireless N. I would suggest a dual band router and isolating the MRV on the 5GHz band and leaving all of your other stuff on the 2.4GHz band.

#3 OFFLINE   CJTE

CJTE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 04:50 PM

If you decide to go with a dual-band router, make sure it's a true dual-band router. Ive got a D-Link DIR-628 and have to choose between 5ghz/2.4ghz... I cna only use one band at a time :(

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,779 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 06:51 PM

In the alternative, am I better off waiting for DECA to become avaliable? I currently don't have SWM but I'm willing to make the investment if that's what it takes.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Really don't do anything that is going to cost you, right now.
There will be an upgrade package that is designed for customers just like you, and it will be the best option, IMO
DECA is going to work better than any other option for you and the SWiM will be part of the package.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   Movieman

Movieman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:12 AM

Really don't do anything that is going to cost you, right now.
There will be an upgrade package that is designed for customers just like you, and it will be the best option, IMO
DECA is going to work better than any other option for you and the SWiM will be part of the package.

As VOS stated, wait because there will be a solution with SWM and DECA coming out pretty soon that will be mostly likely the only supported equipment from Directv for MRV use. Unless you have the parts to make a network already in your house I wouldnt put any money right now.

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,739 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:27 AM

Can you really partition dual band routers?

I'm assuming that DECA won't be a walk in the park for those with non-SWM friendly setups.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#7 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:34 AM

Can you really partition dual band routers?

Yes. You can create separate SSID's for each band.

#8 OFFLINE   MrDad0330

MrDad0330

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:38 AM

I have the same issues. I do fine with std def TV but just get untolerable studder on HD. (That is with "D" powerline adapters and I was thinking of going wireless the my G router but not if I would encounter the same issues with HD. It would be very easy for me to go with a coax network when DECA comes out. But.... I dont have a SWM set up. I am not sure how complitacted that might be to go that route.

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,779 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:38 AM

I'm assuming that DECA...

You might not want to assume.
DECA is fairly straight forward.
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,779 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:45 AM

I have the same issues. I do fine with std def TV but just get untolerable studder on HD. (That is with "D" powerline adapters and I was thinking of going wireless the my G router but not if I would encounter the same issues with HD. It would be very easy for me to go with a coax network when DECA comes out. But.... I dont have a SWM set up. I am not sure how complitacted that might be to go that route.

From you sig you have at least one legacy receiver that would need upgrading for SWiM.
The DirecTV DECA upgrade package they're looking at would:
Change you over to SWiM,
add DECAs as needed,
upgrade receivers as needed.
The SWiM most likely would be a LNB replacement,
The DECAs simply connect to the receivers and have another one connect to your home network, either directly to your router or through a wireless/powerline, since this is low traffic.
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 567 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 24 January 2010 - 06:37 PM

Thanks for the info. I think I'll just wait for the DECA package. Will media share and on demand work with this or will I have to keep my existing wireless G connections?

#12 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 06:48 PM

Thanks for the info. I think I'll just wait for the DECA package. Will media share and on demand work with this or will I have to keep my existing wireless G connections?

DECA will handle everything.

#13 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 06:50 PM

They will work, if you connect the DECA back to the router for an internet connection.

#14 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 567 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:33 PM

Thanks again. I'm really starting to look forward to this.

Now of course, instead of just waiting for D12 I'm waiting for DECA to.
:D:D:D

#15 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:51 AM

OK guys and gals. I'm at a total loss. You people are way too smart and I only understand about 50% of what people are saying.

Just ordered D*. Coming back after being with E* for the last three yrs. Ordered 2-HD DVR's and 2 HD receivers.

My setup with E* was 2-VIP622 receivers. I networked them using a Gigafast powerline through my wireless router. Fairly clean cut and simple.

I have the ability to put one of the new HD DVR's upstairs located close enough to the router to hardwire it. I have a D Link 635 and a brand new D Link 825 "N" dual band routers. My Gigafast powerline is only rated at 14mbps.

With the above info can someone please direct an old man in how to set up the MRV on D* when everything gets here? As always, thanks.

#16 OFFLINE   CJTE

CJTE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:55 AM

Yes. You can create separate SSID's for each band.

Depends on the router!!!
Found that out the hard way with my DIR-628

#17 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:05 AM

Depends on the router!!!
Found that out the hard way with my DIR-628

Yup, gotta read the fine print.

The dual band technology in the DIR-628 supports selectable 2.4GHz or 5GHz wireless signals.

#18 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:06 AM

OK guys and gals. I'm at a total loss. You people are way too smart and I only understand about 50% of what people are saying.

Just ordered D*. Coming back after being with E* for the last three yrs. Ordered 2-HD DVR's and 2 HD receivers.

My setup with E* was 2-VIP622 receivers. I networked them using a Gigafast powerline through my wireless router. Fairly clean cut and simple.

I have the ability to put one of the new HD DVR's upstairs located close enough to the router to hardwire it. I have a D Link 635 and a brand new D Link 825 "N" dual band routers. My Gigafast powerline is only rated at 14mbps.

With the above info can someone please direct an old man in how to set up the MRV on D* when everything gets here? As always, thanks.

I would wait until DECA is released. With the equipment you are getting installed, it is likely that you will get a SWM install, which is required for DECA.

#19 OFFLINE   CJTE

CJTE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:11 AM

Yup, gotta read the fine print.

Yea... Thankfully I didn't purchase that model for dual-band. I purchased it for its USB capabilities.
Heck, I didn't even stop consider the fact that it was Wireless-N until I was poking around last month and noticed it was dual band. (I've had it for at least 6 months. It sat in a weather-proof box outside one of the commercial buildings I was working on with a 3ft hawking antenna to cover an office within the building I was working on).

#20 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,779 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:16 AM

Wait until April "ish".
MRV is in Beta only and you shouldn't be counting on it for your service with DirecTV.
Whatever you spend on networking today, could become a total waste in a few months when MRV comes out of Beta.
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...