Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

MRV and Networking

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,033 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:34 PM

Whatever you spend on networking today, could become a total waste in a few months when MRV comes out of Beta.

That is worth emphasizing and repeating! DirecTV has specifically said NOT to buy or run network equipment in anticipation of MRV.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:28 AM

I understand what you're saying here guys but my expense couldn't be that much considering I've already got a powerline adapter and 2 wireless "N" routers, one being dual band. I'll just muddle my way through but thanks for all the help anyway. I don't want to sound impatient but after being with E* for three years now I've heard Charlie Ergen say one too many times "soon".

#23 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,818 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:31 AM

That is worth emphasizing and repeating! DirecTV has specifically said NOT to buy or run network equipment in anticipation of MRV.

One would think that since they control how MRV will end up rolling out into production, it might just be good advice...:rolleyes:

After that....we'll see.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#24 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:36 AM

I understand what you're saying here guys but my expense couldn't be that much considering I've already got a powerline adapter and 2 wireless "N" routers, one being dual band. I'll just muddle my way through but thanks for all the help anyway. I don't want to sound impatient but after being with E* for three years now I've heard Charlie Ergen say one too many times "soon".

I haven't listened to "Charlie" in years. :lol:
As long as you know what it might cost/waste, "our job here" is done. ;)
A.K.A VOS

#25 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 580 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 07 February 2010 - 07:11 AM

I have way to much time on my hands and as a result I've come up with another question. This involves how MRV will be handled in a DECA system because I am relatively certain I'll go that way when D offers it.

My question is, will the MRV run through my router or will it all be handled by the DECA system? What I mean is, will the signals have to pass through my router?

I ask because I'm OK with waiting for On Demand to download over my wireless G network and if the MRV function does not pass through my router I'll probably just connect the system with my network wirelessly. If however the router is used I have to think about moving it because it would be pretty hard to run wire to its present location.

I hope this post makes sense, if not I'll try to clarify after everyone ridicules me. :D

#26 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:33 AM

I have way to much time on my hands and as a result I've come up with another question. This involves how MRV will be handled in a DECA system because I am relatively certain I'll go that way when D offers it.

My question is, will the MRV run through my router or will it all be handled by the DECA system? What I mean is, will the signals have to pass through my router?

I ask because I'm OK with waiting for On Demand to download over my wireless G network and if the MRV function does not pass through my router I'll probably just connect the system with my network wirelessly. If however the router is used I have to think about moving it because it would be pretty hard to run wire to its present location.

I hope this post makes sense, if not I'll try to clarify after everyone ridicules me. :D

DECA is used in what we're calling a "cloud". All receivers connected to the cloud don't run through your router. If you have a PC or receiver not connected into the cloud, then your router will be in the loop.
"It sounds like" once you get the DECA setup, you'll be fine with your wireless "hop" connecting your cloud to the internet.
A.K.A VOS

#27 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 580 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:22 AM

DECA is used in what we're calling a "cloud". All receivers connected to the cloud don't run through your router. If you have a PC or receiver not connected into the cloud, then your router will be in the loop.
"It sounds like" once you get the DECA setup, you'll be fine with your wireless "hop" connecting your cloud to the internet.

Thanks so much, this answers my question.

Of course since my street isn't plowed yet I'm sure I'll think of more as I'm trapped here.:lol:

#28 OFFLINE   davel

davel

Godfather

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:56 PM

First, I should tell you the house is over 100 years old and almost impossible to pull wire from 1 floor to the next. Also, powerline adapters are not an option.

But amazingly you got the RG6 pulled.

#29 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 580 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 12 February 2010 - 06:49 AM

But amazingly you got the RG6 pulled.

Actually, the RG6 runs outside the house.

#30 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 580 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 13 February 2010 - 06:37 AM

If I understand the DECA process correctly I can pull wire to connect to the router. From my bedroom DVR I can run network cable through the wall up to the attic and back down into the computer room. With wall plates on each end I can connect that DVR to the router.

With a DECA setup that will connect the whole cloud, correct?

#31 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 07:14 AM

I would recommend setting up each DVR with a Static IP Address outside of your DHCP Range. Go into Network Setup and then go to Advanced Setup and assign each DVR a Static IP Address outside of the DHCP Range.

I assigned mine to my 5 Ghz Network SSID so that they had that dedicated 5 Ghz Network without anything else competing with them.

Mine is working almost Flawlessly with an occasional glitch on some recordings on just one DVR but everything else works Perfect.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#32 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,646 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:37 PM

Think of the DECA 'cloud' or equipment as a separate switch with an uplink to your existing network. It's just using the coax to transmit the ethernet packets.

As I understand it, that uplink can be at any coax endpoint location.

In my case, I have a CAT5 from my router to my living room HRs. If I installed DECA (which I currently don't need), that's where I would connect the DECA equipment to my network.

MRV will generally work better if you group the H/HRs on a separate switch - or at least the same switch / router. In general, the router is out of the equation except for VOD. There's no 'routing' on your internal LAN.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#33 OFFLINE   wallybarthman

wallybarthman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:42 PM

I would recommend setting up each DVR with a Static IP Address outside of your DHCP Range. Go into Network Setup and then go to Advanced Setup and assign each DVR a Static IP Address outside of the DHCP Range.

I assigned mine to my 5 Ghz Network SSID so that they had that dedicated 5 Ghz Network without anything else competing with them.

Mine is working almost Flawlessly with an occasional glitch on some recordings on just one DVR but everything else works Perfect.

I will second this - the static IP addresses seems to have helped MVR a whole lot - there is a lot less pixelation, even on MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 HD. Also beneficial in my case is a gigbit backbone (even though the HR-22's only support 100Mbit) because it prevents there from being significant traffic issues on the backbone. Gigbit switches are cheap

Westinghouse 37'' LCD 1080p Monitor / PS3 / HR24-500 w/AM21 OTA Tuner / Mac Mini
Vizio 42'' LCD 720p TV / Panasonic Blu-ray Player / Mac Mini / HR22 w/ AM21 OTA Tuner and HR22

#34 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 01:00 PM

I will second this - the static IP addresses seems to have helped MVR a whole lot - there is a lot less pixelation, even on MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 HD. Also beneficial in my case is a gigbit backbone (even though the HR-22's only support 100Mbit) because it prevents there from being significant traffic issues on the backbone. Gigbit switches are cheap

All mine are set for DHCP, though I have reserved them by MAC address, just so they all don't get changed during reboots of the receivers & router, which was a problem when I used port forwarding by IP.
Once you start using MRV, I can't see how pixelation would improve.
We have random glitches with MPEG-4 playback, and I can only think a change in the randomness [not related to DHCP at all] is why someone would think the static/verses DHCP would make a difference.
A.K.A VOS

#35 OFFLINE   Sim-X

Sim-X

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 10:11 AM

I use the linksys gaming adapter and it sucks for N - it streams ok but as soon as I do any skipping or fast forward it stops playing. What settings do you guys use for your N setup? Only n device I have is for dtv so it gets all the bandwidth.

#36 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,033 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:28 AM

If I understand the DECA process correctly I can pull wire to connect to the router. From my bedroom DVR I can run network cable through the wall up to the attic and back down into the computer room. With wall plates on each end I can connect that DVR to the router.

With a DECA setup that will connect the whole cloud, correct?

As dennisj00 noted, the cross-connect to your LAN does not have to be at a receiver/dvr location. You can run a coax off your SWM splitter to a location that has ethernet connectivity and put the up-link (DECA device) there. Then you have just a short ethernet jumper from the DECA device into your LAN equipment.

So whichever is the easiest, run cat5e or cat6 to someplace you have coax, or run coax to someplace you have ethernet.

And that is only to get to the outside world. It is not needed specifically for MRV.

#37 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,646 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:36 PM

I use the linksys gaming adapter and it sucks for N - it streams ok but as soon as I do any skipping or fast forward it stops playing. What settings do you guys use for your N setup? Only n device I have is for dtv so it gets all the bandwidth.

I haven't tried it, but I'd venture that the WGA600N set to a 2.4 ghz N doesn't perform as well as the 5ghz band just because of the crowded 2.4 band and related interference (microwaves, wireless phones, etc.)

N can be 2.4 g or 5ghz in a true dual-band router. Put your video on the 5 ghz band. Mine has been flawless with 4 streams. . two in / two out.

Of course, with wireless ymmv. . . moving one end or the other 5' in any direction can have a big impact. Experiment.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#38 OFFLINE   eapeas

eapeas

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:30 PM

Hmmm interesting. Just got the email for this and called them. According to their rep, the cost is $150 ($100 equipment fee for new filters?!? and $50 service activation fee) up front, then $3/mo. He offered to waive $50 of the equipment fee and after I told him that we pay almost $2k/yr for DTV, that was unacceptable, he then countered w/ $100 credit, but that I'd still have to pay the $50 activation fee.

So what you guys are saying is that there is no extra equipment needed? I'm confused! HELP!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...