Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Can the NFL stop pretending now?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio DMA

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:17 PM

When you have to get all the way down to DAVID GARRARD to fill out your Pro Bowl QB roster, it's obvious that not enough people care about it to even keep up the charade that anyone cares.

It used to be that people wanted to watch their favorite players on their favorite teams. Now it's to the point where many want to see them NOT play so they won't risk serious injury. And no one from Super Bowl teams can play now. (Genius move there: aren't they likely to have more of the all-stars that people want to see?)

And the players don't even get an all-expenses-paid week in Hawaii out of it any more.
My stuff: D* HR20-700 (living room) / R15 (bedroom) / OTA 91XG+YA1713+HDP269 / Harmony 880

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   cheryl10

cheryl10

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:25 PM

The Pro Bowl is returning to Hawaii next season. It will be the week after the Super Bowl.

#3 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:27 PM

Well first of all.... moving it to next week.

They had to try something.
I think most people agree, that the two weeks to the Super Bowl is the best thing for the two teams playing. Time to heal and time to prepare, for teams that don't normally play one another.

So there is that "dull" week in the middle.
So instead of getting the NFL QB Challenge and other off-shoots that in between weekend, they tried to move the Pro-Bowl there.

Obviously they knew this problem of losing players that were playing in the SuperBowl, but they also knew that having it after the Super Bowl, they were going to lose players. Possibly even more, as those that lost this weekend, would go 3 weeks without playing.

As for players getting the all-expenses-paid week to Hawaii?
Seriously, even for the 56th guy on a team roster, making the league min is getting something like $250k a year. I think they can afford a trip to a resort in Hawaii. Heck some of them make enough, they can rent an entire island.

Because of the NFL's structure and probably being the most risk-prone profession sport, there is just no good way to do the Pro-Bowl.

MLB - The all star game in the middle of the season. The only real issue is with the pitchers, and even that is a stretch in my mind. Especially with the day off before and after the all-star game.

NHL - That is close to the NFL, as injury's are common there. I think the two weeks of Olympic Play this year, is a much bigger risk/issue then an All-Star offensive shoot out

NBA - Same as the MLB. The players just play light defense, as nothing is on the line.

There is absolutely no way they could inject the Pro-Bowl into the middle of the season, just way to much risk.

The other problem, as of now, they can't get rid of the Pro-Bowl as selection to the pro-bowl is tied to some players contracts. Now maybe with the next CBA, they can add a clause that they can have a structure like NCAA where you can be voted and selected as one of the top 50 players in the conference, with no game.

I don't think any of the fans will miss the Pro-Bowl.
I haven't watched it probably a decade. We scheduled our Cub Scout Pinewood Derby this Sunday, specifically because it was the Pro-Bowl and not a playoff/SuperBowl weekend.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 691 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio DMA

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:31 PM

Because of the NFL's structure and probably being the most risk-prone profession sport, there is just no good way to do the Pro-Bowl.

MLB - The all star game in the middle of the season. The only real issue is with the pitchers, and even that is a stretch in my mind. Especially with the day off before and after the all-star game.

NHL - That is close to the NFL, as injury's are common there. I think the two weeks of Olympic Play this year, is a much bigger risk/issue then an All-Star offensive shoot out

NBA - Same as the MLB. The players just play light defense, as nothing is on the line.

Yes, I think you're precisely right. In MLB the injury risk in *any given game* is lower than the other major pro team sports, and the risk of very serious career-threatening injury is lower. Mostly the concern is limited to managers and teams demanding their pitchers don't throw more than 20 pitches or so.

Even in the NBA and the NHL you can play a low risk shoot-em-up exhibition game with almost no contact and nothing resembling defense (with scores like 152-144 in the NBA and 15-12 in the NHL). You simply can NOT do that in the NFL.
My stuff: D* HR20-700 (living room) / R15 (bedroom) / OTA 91XG+YA1713+HDP269 / Harmony 880

#5 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,833 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:43 PM

I love sports, as seen in my signature I watch A LOT, but I hate All-Star games. There's zero competition and a bore to watch. I enjoy skills/dunk/HR challenges, but the games are a joke.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#6 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:50 PM

I love sports, as seen in my signature I watch A LOT, but I hate All-Star games. There's zero competition and a bore to watch. I enjoy skills/dunk/HR challenges, but the games are a joke.

I tend to agree with that sentiment.

I wouldn't mind them doing some sort of skills competition in the week leading up to the Super Bowl... passing accuracy, some silly obstacle course.... something. But I haven't watched the "Pro Bowl" in years... and I won't watch this year either.

The only exception is the NHL all star game.. even though there's no competition, I usually watch... only because it is an offensive shootout, and you're liable to see something pretty cool (i.e. Owen Nolan's hat trick and "called shot").
"There's a statistical theory that if you gave a million monkey's typewriters and set them to work, they'd eventually come up with the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Internet, we now know this isn't true" -Ian Hart

#7 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,833 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:52 PM

I wouldn't mind them doing some sort of skills competition in the week leading up to the Super Bowl... passing accuracy, some silly obstacle course.... something. But I haven't watched the "Pro Bowl" in years... and I won't watch this year anyway.

They used to do the QB challenge & skill comp, but I think they quit.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#8 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:52 PM

The other problem, as of now, they can't get rid of the Pro-Bowl as selection to the pro-bowl is tied to some players contracts. Now maybe with the next CBA, they can add a clause that they can have a structure like NCAA where you can be voted and selected as one of the top 50 players in the conference, with no game.

So what? If they cancel the pro-bowl those players wouldn't get that bonus. They might not have gotten it anyway. No biggie.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#9 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:02 PM

So what? If they cancel the pro-bowl those players wouldn't get that bonus. They might not have gotten it anyway. No biggie.

The Player's Association, would file a grievance and arbitration and all other of that fun legal stuff.

I personally don't care, but we all know the reality of the situation.

And I would rather there be a crappy pro-bowl, then a season strike or lockout.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#10 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:34 AM

THey should just change the Pro-Bowl to the NFL All-Star FLag Football Challenge. THen people would not be so afraid of getting hurt. ;)

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#11 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,833 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 26 January 2010 - 02:11 PM

THey should just change the Pro-Bowl to the NFL All-Star FLag Football Challenge. THen people would not be so afraid of getting hurt. ;)

:lol: My best friend lacerated his kidney playing flag football...injuries are crazy.

#12 OFFLINE   jerry downing

jerry downing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 521 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:18 PM

When I was young, we played flag football and the blocking was just as rough as the real thing.

#13 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,614 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:35 PM

Since these players have played all year already...and we know what they all can do anyway...and a post-Superbowl game is obviously anti-climactic....

Why not just name "X" number of players to an ALL PRO TEAM, and not even play any game....?
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#14 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:02 AM

THat would cover the bonus issue as they could just base them on that.

Also, for the guys with Pro-Bowl bonus tie ins, do they get it if they are one of the replacements? If so, I bet there are 31 guys happy about people bowing out.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#15 OFFLINE   Mustang Dave

Mustang Dave

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:13 PM

Think I would rather watch a Lingerie Football League game than the Pro Bowl. :lol:

#16 OFFLINE   cousinofjah

cousinofjah

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 04:24 PM

When you have to get all the way down to DAVID GARRARD to fill out your Pro Bowl QB roster, it's obvious that not enough people care about it to even keep up the charade that anyone cares.

It used to be that people wanted to watch their favorite players on their favorite teams. Now it's to the point where many want to see them NOT play so they won't risk serious injury. And no one from Super Bowl teams can play now. (Genius move there: aren't they likely to have more of the all-stars that people want to see?)

And the players don't even get an all-expenses-paid week in Hawaii out of it any more.

I kinda agree, but didn't it get it's highest rating ever?

spam firewall