Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Entropic Communications' Silicon Selected by DIRECTV for Home Networking Deployments

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,902 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:02 PM

Entropic Communications' Silicon Selected by DIRECTV for Home Networking Deployments
Technology Cooperation Delivers Next-Generation Set-Top Boxes for Multi-Room Viewing and Quality User Experience

SAN DIEGO, Jan 25, 2010 (GlobeNewswire via COMTEX News Network) -- Entropic Communications, Inc. (Nasdaq:ENTR), a leading provider of silicon and software solutions to enable connected home entertainment, today announced that its silicon has been selected by DIRECTV, the world's most popular television service, for integration into set-top boxes (STB) that deliver a new-generation of coax-based networking capabilities such as multi-room viewing.

By adopting Entropic's field-proven technology based on the Multimedia over Coax Alliance (MoCA) standard, DIRECTV will soon enable its customers to easily share high-quality, high-definition digital entertainment and data throughout the home over the existing coax cable infrastructure. The coax-based networking also enables DIRECTV to propagate the ground-breaking RVU technology on its platforms. RVU Remote User Interface ensures that the client set-top receivers in a multi-room DVR environment display the exact look and feel (user interface) of the server on a pixel-accurate basis.

"By integrating MoCA technology into our STBs along with the existing deployment of the Single Wire Multiswitch, we will set ourselves apart from the competition as a leading provider of connected home technology," said Romulo Pontual, chief technology officer at DIRECTV. "This is part of our overall strategy to simplify the installation process and create a reliable video distribution system for our customers who want to enjoy a connected home lifestyle. Technology cooperation with Entropic was instrumental to expedite the delivery of these new STBs."

"We are very excited to be working with DIRECTV as multi-room viewing capabilities continue to drive next-generation home networking requirements," said Patrick Henry, Entropic CEO. "By leveraging our technology leadership and experience and expanding our relationship with DIRECTV beyond channel-stacking for their Single Wire Multiswitch ODUs, we are enabling a new world of digital entertainment sharing applications for DIRECTV's customers nationwide," he continued.

DIRECTV's selection of the MoCA standard further demonstrates the industry preference and growing market acceptance for in home coax-based video networking as reported by numerous operators. The new generation of DIRECTV set-top boxes are currently in production and will be in customers' homes starting in Q1 of 2010.

About Entropic Communications

Entropic Communications, Inc. (Nasdaq:ENTR) is a leading fabless semiconductor company that is engineering the future of connected home networking and entertainment by providing next-generation silicon and software technologies to the world's leading cable, telco and satellite service providers, OEMs and consumer electronic manufacturers. As a co-founder of MoCA (Multimedia over Coax Alliance), Entropic pioneered and continues to evolve the way high-definition television-quality video and other multimedia and digital content such as movies, music, games and photos are brought into and delivered throughout the home. For more information, visit Entropic at www.entropic.com.

The Entropic Communications logo is available at http://www.globenews...prs/?pkgid=4255

Forward-Looking Statements

Statements in this press release that are not strictly historical in nature constitute "forward-looking statements." Such statements include, but are not limited to, statements regarding Entropic's leadership in providing MoCA enabled technology, and continued or future integration of Entropic's technology into products of OEMs. Such forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors which may cause Entropic's actual results to be materially different from historical results or from any results expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. These factors include, but are not limited to, the effects of competition; Entropic's dependence on a limited number of service providers and customers; Entropic's ability to successfully collaborate and introduce new and enhanced products on a timely basis; the risk that the market for high-definition television-quality video and multimedia content delivery solutions, including the use of satellite distribution, may not develop as anticipated; the effect of intellectual property rights claims; and other factors discussed in the "Risk Factors" section of Entropic's Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the three months ended September 30, 2009. All forward-looking statements are qualified in their entirety by this cautionary statement. Entropic is providing this information as of the date of this release and does not undertake any obligation to update any forward-looking statements contained in this release as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.

This news release was distributed by GlobeNewswire, www.globenewswire.com

SOURCE: Entropic Communications

Investor Contact:
Debra Hart, Director, Investor Relations
debra.hart@entropic.com
The Ardell Group
Media Contact:
Angela Edgerton
angela@ardellgroup.com

© Copyright 2010 GlobeNewswire, Inc. All rights reserved.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,989 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:09 PM

How about that, only 2 months max to wait.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#3 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,355 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:12 PM

How about that, only 2 months max to wait.

Maybe 3... :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#4 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,523 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:49 PM

Just because the article says it is coming out in April certainly does not mean what is being referred to isn't the HMC30. What would it be? A whole home box with MoCa and RVU. Sounds suspiciously like the HMC30 to me.

That was my point....those kinds of articles are estimated times based on the information they gathered at that time.

Edited by hdtvfan0001, 25 January 2010 - 07:01 PM.

DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#5 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:53 PM

That was my point....those kinds of articles are estimates times based on the information they gathered at that time.

Right. I don't buy the April release date, but I do think that they are talking about the HMC30.

#6 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,355 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:56 PM

Right. I don't buy the April release date, but I do think that they are talking about the HMC30.

No, they're talking about DECA incorporated receivers.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:58 PM

We'll see. I still highly doubt they'll launch a MoCa/RVU box in April, and then the HMC30 late 2010.

All I know is if I'm right, this thread will get ressurected when it happens. :D

#8 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,355 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:01 PM

We'll see. I still highly doubt they'll launch a MoCa/RVU box in April, and then the HMC30 late 2010.

All I know is if I'm right, this thread will get ressurected when it happens. :D

One "line" in April and another very late this year, "seems like" their plan. (yes, you can quote me :lol:)

Edited by veryoldschool, 25 January 2010 - 07:24 PM.
I got moved lol

A.K.A VOS

#9 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,523 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:04 PM

OK....feel free to think that (even if its wrong). :D

#10 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,902 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:15 PM

The key statement is: "DIRECTV will soon enable its customers to easily share high-quality, high-definition digital entertainment and data throughout the home over the existing coax cable infrastructure."

Basically as VOS stated .. DECA will be launched .. We already knew that, though. This PR is really the first indication of any date for DECA availability.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#11 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,523 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:24 PM

The key statement is: "DIRECTV will soon enable its customers to easily share high-quality, high-definition digital entertainment and data throughout the home over the existing coax cable infrastructure."

Basically as VOS stated .. DECA will be launched .. We already knew that, though. This PR is really the first indication of any date for DECA availability.

Good to see - this reaffirms some of what we saw firsthand at CES.

Entropic's technology has worked quite well for SWM deployments to date, so there's good reason to be optimistic about their next round of new technologies to the market, including DECA, and DirecTV's use of it.

#12 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,881 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:33 PM

Question on the HMC30. Can I have more than one, and if so, will they play nice together?

Five tuners really just isn't enough. I have 9 now and am thinking about pulling one of my "spare" HR20's and replacing my H21. The only thing holding me back is that the silver would really clash in this location.

So for me, 2 HMC30's would be just about right. Tom may need three.;)

#13 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:40 PM

I think Tom's going to get the HMC-30 Pro. Rack mounted, Wireless HDMI!:lol:
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#14 OFFLINE   Movieman

Movieman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 09:09 PM

I would have thought they were referring to DECA devices but not part of the receiver yet.

#15 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,902 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:24 AM

I would have thought they were referring to DECA devices but not part of the receiver yet.

possibly both, it's not entirely clear at this time.

#16 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,523 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 07:25 AM

possibly both, it's not entirely clear at this time.

Yes. What's clear is that DECA plays a big part on future networking plans, and also that SWM also is the continuing foundation for future installs.

We saw the SWM16 and SWM32 at CES, so those are likely to "appear" in the near future as well, and DECA was another part of the equation.

#17 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 07:48 AM

That was the impression I got also. That the development was DECA built right in to the receivers.

"By integrating MoCA technology into our STBs..."

"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#18 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:35 AM

Broadcom has announced a chip that could be used in a STB to integrate MoCA support. I'm sure it will happen at some point just not sure if it will be in the HR24/H24 that we know are soon to be released or some other future release. After all wideband tuners didn't eliminate the need for bbcs until the H23/HR23.

This press release sure sounds like what I expected to happen back when SWM was still new and DirecTV first started showing interest in MoCA.

#19 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,355 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:45 AM

Broadcom has announced a chip that could be used in a STB to integrate MoCA support. I'm sure it will happen at some point just not sure if it will be in the HR24/H24 that we know are soon to be released or some other future release. After all wideband tuners didn't eliminate the need for bbcs until the H23/HR23.

This press release sure sounds like what I expected to happen back when SWM was still new and DirecTV first started showing interest in MoCA.

MoCA is @ 1100 MHz.
DECA is @ 550 MHz, so Broadcom's chip may not be an exact replacement.
A.K.A VOS

#20 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,902 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:53 AM

MoCA is @ 1100 MHz.
DECA is @ 550 MHz

And this is the biggest reason for the distinction in using the term DECA instead of MoCA.

spam firewall