Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Bad weather install ?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   the300

the300

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:44 PM

I have an appointemt to get A directtv install Sat morning 1/30.
However, there is supposed to be about 6-8 inches of snow and ice on the ground with the temp in the teens somewhere.
Will the installer call me to cancel ? Should I call DTV to cancel ?
Will the installer try to do the install regardless ?
I want DTV, but not at the peril of an innocent installer.:D

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:15 PM

Good luck. It is icing here and there is no way they would climb on my roof right now, unless they were crazy or maybe if I was buying the platinum package..

I guess just wait and see if they call you, unless you are taking off work for it.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#3 OFFLINE   tech24218

tech24218

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:18 PM

If you were my customer I would have to come out to your house to discuss things with you face to face. Most likely the install is not going to happen. That being said to save yourself and the tech time you should probably reschedule your appointment tomorrow for a better day that fits your schedule after this weather has passed.

#4 OFFLINE   ctaranto

ctaranto

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:09 AM

That happened to me for my install 2 years ago. D* was scheduled to arrive between 9am - 1pm. They didn't show up during that time frame, and it started snowing at 3pm. By 5pm when they showed up, there was 2 inches of snow on the roof and they refused to install (needed a roof mount due to trees). The tech tried as best he could to get a signal from a lower location but was unable to.

I rescheduled for 5 days later, roof was clear of snow, and two techs came (including a senior manager). They did a bang up job and included a SWM-8 (even though it was a single receiver install). I spent the entire time outside with them, offering them drinks, talking about the industry, and mentioning that I didn't want multiple wires coming down the side of my house (thus the SWM-8).

If there's snow and ice on the roof, they won't go up there.

-Craig

Subscriber since Feb 2008
D* Receivers: HR21-700 w/1TB eSATA, HR24-100, HR21-700
Dish: Slimline + International@95 (w/SWM-16), Roof-mount
TV: 54" Panasonic G10 Plasma, 50" Panasonic ST30 Plasma, JVC 20" tube
Audio: Denon AVR1910
Speakers: Energy Take Classic x 7, BIC America H100 12" sub
Control: Home Theater Master MX-500
Place Shifting: Slingbox Pro-HD

#5 OFFLINE   the300

the300

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:32 AM

It's perfectly fine with me if they don't come. I can wait afew days for DTV if it means putting someone at risk.
I'm guessing I will still get the same special I signed up for since I have already paid, If it expires before they do the install ?

#6 OFFLINE   erosroadie

erosroadie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:33 AM

It's perfectly fine with me if they don't come. I can wait afew days for DTV if it means putting someone at risk.
I'm guessing I will still get the same special I signed up for since I have already paid, If it expires before they do the install ?

I had a similar situation to ctaranto's. Anything on the roof will stop an install. You could wait for them to come out and confirm the obvious, or you could call and reschedule. Don't be surprised, however, that even if you do the latter, they will come out anyway. Communication channels can sometimes be weak:nono:..

#7 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:04 AM

I believe it really depends on the installer and the situation. If it's an angled roof then no he probably won't climb up on it to do the install. But if it's a pole mount or you have a flat roof, then he very well may go ahead and do it.

Like someone else said, if he does come out to do the install have him bring the receivers inside as soon as he gets there so they can warm up before they are plugged in. Lots of electronics get damaged because people bring them in from the cold and plug them in right away.

#8 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:33 AM

I recommend rescheduling, and do so ASAP. The chances of getting an install at all are poor, and the chances of getting a GOOD install are even worse. There's only so much an installer can do in this type of weather.

There's no way I'd ever have this type of work done on MY house in bad weather...

#9 OFFLINE   tech24218

tech24218

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:08 PM

im hoping this is the attitude my customers will have tomorrow. Early snow reports said 2-5" here which really means 1-2". Now they're saying that front that's supposed to smash Tennessee will be going a little more to the north and we could get 6-10. I plan on waking up tomorrow and calling all my appoints am or pm at 8 am and asking them what they want me to do. Id assume not leave the house if im just driving around to reschedule jobs.

#10 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 09:02 PM

I'm in TN too. The snow is so bad my HD Slimline 3 is covered in snow so I can't use D* at all until I put my 18" back in use. Now that that is done I can atleast see SD. No HD :( Never the less I called D* too see if they even could send a tech out to clear my dish (due to location) or reconnect my old one they said no. So I did it my self. (The last installer cut the COAX ends). I spent 1 1/2 hours outside in the 30F weather wiring it back in so I can watch SOME TV. I will say this I REALLY FEEL FOR THE D* TECHS!
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#11 OFFLINE   2dogz

2dogz

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 02:32 AM

I'm in TN too. The snow is so bad my HD Slimline 3 is covered in snow so I can't use D* at all until I put my 18" back in use. Now that that is done I can atleast see SD. No HD :( Never the less I called D* too see if they even could send a tech out to clear my dish (due to location) or reconnect my old one they said no. So I did it my self. (The last installer cut the COAX ends). I spent 1 1/2 hours outside in the 30F weather wiring it back in so I can watch SOME TV. I will say this I REALLY FEEL FOR THE D* TECHS!

You called D* to remove the snow off your dish? :nono2:

Why didn't you spend the 1 1/2 hour cleaning it off yourself?

Directv since 1997
2x HR21-100 2x HR22-100 1x HR20-700R
Sony Sat T60 Tivo Still Truckin'
AU9 WB616 OTA: Channel Master CM4221

#12 OFFLINE   psweig

psweig

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:31 AM

When I had my first install, there was 6" of snow on the ground (and a lot on the roof) The installers did a miraculous job. They swept the snow off the roof and it did nothing to deter them. It really depends on the installers.
Antique
HR20-700, HR20-100, HR23-700 (passed away, hard drive in lieu of flowers), Panasonic TC-32LX85, Two receivers HDMI (Toslink audio to Sherwood R7502 7.1 A/V Receiver in living room). One receiver component.
Wired network, from Dell 530S, 2.2Dual, 3gig mem, vod enabled, AT&T 2WIRE Broadband Router in computer room. 3 mgbit download speed.
Three composite hookups to RCA RF modulator to 20" Toshiba SD TV in bedroom and 13" Samsung TV in computer room.
Added blu-ray panasonic xmas 2008, added D-link switch in living room, Roku player, March 2009.

#13 OFFLINE   the300

the300

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:38 AM

I rescheduled for next Sat. Feb. 6th, They still said they were going to try and come out today, But I told them not to worry about, We'll get er done next Sat.

#14 OFFLINE   awblackmon

awblackmon

Legend

• Registered
  • 183 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 10:14 AM

When I had my first install, there was 6" of snow on the ground (and a lot on the roof) The installers did a miraculous job. They swept the snow off the roof and it did nothing to deter them. It really depends on the installers.

Sounds like I could have been that installer. I wasn't, but I have gone up on the ladder, swept the area I was going to install. I go in the house, run the wire, then back up the ladder and find the area has melted off enough to mount a dish.

The downside I find in doing a snow install is all the snow that can stick to my shoes. So I have to take my shoes off, and put them back on, when I go in and leave the house to avoid tracking snow and mud in.

#15 OFFLINE   psweig

psweig

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 10:33 AM

Sounds like I could have been that installer. I wasn't, but I have gone up on the ladder, swept the area I was going to install. I go in the house, run the wire, then back up the ladder and find the area has melted off enough to mount a dish.

The downside I find in doing a snow install is all the snow that can stick to my shoes. So I have to take my shoes off, and put them back on, when I go in and leave the house to avoid tracking snow and mud in.

That's would have been okay :grin: I was so happy to have an install that worked the first time and worked right, that you could have tracked all the snow and mud you liked.
Antique
HR20-700, HR20-100, HR23-700 (passed away, hard drive in lieu of flowers), Panasonic TC-32LX85, Two receivers HDMI (Toslink audio to Sherwood R7502 7.1 A/V Receiver in living room). One receiver component.
Wired network, from Dell 530S, 2.2Dual, 3gig mem, vod enabled, AT&T 2WIRE Broadband Router in computer room. 3 mgbit download speed.
Three composite hookups to RCA RF modulator to 20" Toshiba SD TV in bedroom and 13" Samsung TV in computer room.
Added blu-ray panasonic xmas 2008, added D-link switch in living room, Roku player, March 2009.

#16 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 11:10 AM

You called D* to remove the snow off your dish? :nono2:

Why didn't you spend the 1 1/2 hour cleaning it off yourself?

Maybe because it was 2 stories off the ground. No I wasn't wanting D* to remove the snow (that's be a waste of a service call). But fix the coax from my 18" round dish. So I could atleast see SD. They couldn't so I did it my self.
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#17 OFFLINE   kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 02:51 PM

If you have enough line of sight for a pole install, go for it. It would make easier for you do get the snow off, or realign.
my setup here

Protected By... spam firewall...And...