Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Getting Houston Vietnamese Channel onto your HR20-700

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sangweb

sangweb

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 05:43 PM

Is it possible to get all those vietnamese channel using the OTA option onto the HR20-700? I have try to scanned it like 5 times and not once those channel get into the receiver but it works fine if I scans it using my TV tuner. After the scan, it ask for 2ndary zipcode, I am not sure what to put there. Any one has any suggestion, please help. Thank-you.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,693 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 05:46 PM

A 2ndary zip code would be for a 2ndary market. For example, if you were b/w Houston and San Antonio, you could use a zip for Houston as your primary and a zip for San Antonio for your 2ndary and possibly pick up both OTA.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#3 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 05:49 PM

If the channel is not listed in the DirecTv database, you will not be able to pick it up on the HR20-700. The station will need to provide listings to Tribune Media (Zap2it or TitanTv), after which DirecTv will add it to their guide data.

Another option is to add a secondary zip code for a city which has a station on the SAME PHYSICAL CHANNEL as the one you are wanting to watch. If for example, the station you want is transmitting on channel 30, subchannel 2, you could add in any other city that also has a station transmitting on channel 30 subchannel 2. The guide data will be wrong, but you will be able to set up manual records. Check http://www.w9wi.com for a listing by channel of other cities matching your wanted channel.

Edited by Davenlr, 30 January 2010 - 05:56 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   sangweb

sangweb

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:19 PM

All the channels I wanted list Houston as their home so I am assuming that these channels are not on DTV database. Can I call them and ask them to added manually?

#5 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:28 PM

You can call the station, or Tribune (the tv guide company DirecTv uses) but it wont do any good to call DirecTv... If the station doesnt supply a guide to Tribune, DirecTv would not be able to add it, since it would not have any guide data to add.

What station and call letters are you trying to get? Maybe I can find you a secondary zip that will work.

spam firewall