Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish HD Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   David_NC

David_NC

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 01:46 PM

Glad to see you finally got a deal you liked. You'll love those 722K's, and if you also get the OTA modules (if you need them), you can record 2 SAT and 2 OTA events in HD/SD at once while watching a 5th prerecorded event. That can be real handy at times.

And the programmable/learning remote can be quite handy too.

If you mean the 21.0 remote... yeah, I do like it. I have a Toshiba DVD-R/VCR that doesn't seem to have codes in any remote. The 21.0's learning feature took care of that in about 10 minutes.

I'm not sure if I'll need the OTA tuners or not (I don't believe we have many OTA HD channels). I still have TW's basic cable, although I asked for it to be disconnected. It's got locals, several PBS's, and a couple more. Is it true that if I can receive it on my HDTV's tuner I can receive it on the OTA tuners for the 722? I ask because it'd be nice to be able to record some of what's available on non-scrambled digital cable.

You wont get away from the 2yr agreement unless you go with U-Verse.

Actually, you can get away from the 2-year agreement. I don't think they'd have done it with no agreement, though.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 15 March 2010 - 04:10 PM

Just connect and find out. But if they are doing analog stations on the cable, then the 722K's OTA tuner won't get them. I think it is a digital only tuner.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#23 OFFLINE   David_NC

David_NC

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 06:16 PM

Just connect and find out. But if they are doing analog stations on the cable, then the 722K's OTA tuner won't get them. I think it is a digital only tuner.

I get a bunch of HD on the most basic ($12 cable) that don't require a box. Actually, I think that's all we get now that I cancelled that service. I have an older CRT SD TV that's connected to Dish and the cable; it picks up no channels on cable any more. It may be worth a shot to try one of the OTA tuners primarily when satellite reception is interrupted by rain, etc.

#24 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 06:17 PM

Cable digital is a different modulation than OTA digital (QAM/ATSC).

The 722 will not work with digital or analog cable.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

spam firewall