Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

VIP722 & SONY Chan. Change WARM-UP ?!?!?!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Cs_Breeze

Cs_Breeze

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 06:05 PM

Hi guys - A real FNG here w/ a strange one, I didn't see elsewhere so its probably something I'm doing. Hardware: Sony Bravia 40" & a BVD-E300 theatre box, w/ HDMIs & an optical cable tying together: I turn it on but have to wait about 10 minutes before I can change channels ! No guide, no nothing ! Volume is OK, but WHAT THE HECK ? HELP !!! (signed - not a happy HD camper):nono:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 06:23 PM

It's called IR interference, and it's coming from the backlight of the TV, which floods out lots of IR until the bulb warms up. It may also happen when you have a mostly-black screen, such as during movie credits. It's a very common problem with both LCD and Plasma TVs of all brands and models, as a quick Google search will demonstrate. And it isn't limited to Dish receivers either; DirecTV, Comcast and other providers all have customers who suffer with it, and so do A/V manufacturers with DVD and Blu-Ray players and anything else that uses IR remotes.

There are various ways to shield/block the stray IR from getting to the IR sensors in your equipment. You can relocate the equipment, put something in between to block the light, or partially cover the IR sensors (electrical tape with a tiny pin-hole often works), which reduces IR sensitivity. Other solutions are reducing the TV's brightness or using RF remotes.

#3 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 06:37 PM

Never heard of this problem with plasma, only lcd with fluorescent backlight.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:49 PM

Google has heard of it... :)

http://www.google.co...q=f&aqi=g10&oq=

Results 1 - 10 of about 740,000 for ir interference plasma. (0.24 seconds)

#5 OFFLINE   Cs_Breeze

Cs_Breeze

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:17 PM

The only thing is, the dish rcvr is behind & below the TV, which sits up on a cement block to position it naturally. (The TV is on the hearth in front of the <non-functioning> fireplace.) So tell me again how the screen's (IR ?) radiation blocks the remote ? And how do I get past it ? It wasn't a problem when I first set it up... Thanks for the help

#6 OFFLINE   Cs_Breeze

Cs_Breeze

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:19 PM

PS: Bravia is LCD not plaz

#7 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:37 AM

Once your TV is filling the room with IR, it will bounce of most anything and interfere with the IR remote. If you are using a Duo receiver in single mode (it never hurts to actually mention what receiver you are using), you can cover the IR sensor on the Receiver and use the TV2 UHF Pro receiver to control w/o IR interference.

Less productive suggestions:

Cover the TV with a quilt to test during the 10 minute startup period. You can at least verify the IR interference is coming from the TV.

Use a cardboard tube in front of the IR Sensor or 35 mm film negative to try to block it out so only remote IR directly at the receiver is "seen".

Always turn the TV on 10 minutes in advance.

Look to Sony to have a fix for the excess IR generated. Several Samsung models have updates available for IR interference, but it may involve changing internals. Sony might have something similar for your model - dunno.

Move furniture that the TV signal may be bouncing off of to be seen by the receiver's sensor.

UHF control of TV1 (also possible in dual mode, but you only have one UHF Pro remote) is the most direct solution.

#8 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:02 AM

PS: Bravia is LCD not plaz

I know. It's just as common a problem with LCDs, due to the flourescent backlight.

#9 OFFLINE   Cs_Breeze

Cs_Breeze

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 06:37 PM

Conducted tests to reduce my cynicism (just being honest here !): I turned on the set and once the pic was up, I put the transmitting end of the remote (20.0 IR by Echostar for Dish) in the middle opening of the cement block, inches in front of the DVR front panel (VIP722, BTW). Son-ov-a-bee-ach if it didn't work right away ! So the IR splash is real & is causing the problem ! My hat is off to you gents & I will figure a more effective way to deal with this, shortly ! Many thanks from the Cape of Cod - freekin cold this winter, too - perfect for indoor sports like TV & brewskis !
73 / W1PPY / Chris

#10 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:04 PM

Another thing to try is changing the Remote Address used for TV1. No guarantee it will help, but I've read suggestions to try that. Remote address 1-15 is each a different frequency and if the receiver is looking for stuff coming in that matches address 12, it MIGHT not care that the TV is putting out stuff that interferes with address 1-3 frequencies. Something to try.

I meant for you to mention receiver MODE. If Single mode, just cover the IR sensors and use the 21.0 remote. If Dual, you'd need a 6.2, 6.3, 6.4, or 21.0 to control TV1 via UHF with IR sensor covered.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...