Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What's Directv plans for Internationals ?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   slimoli

slimoli

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:58 PM

Is Directv planning to discontinue more internationals after announcing the end of the Polish Package ? The requirement for the big dish is probably a big reason why most foreigns go with Dish. I hope they move all internationals to the 110 or 119 after D12 is up and running, this will make installation much easier and I bet people who speak Chinese or Portuguese also want the American HD programs. Keeping the 2 dishes is a bad strategy, IMO.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   beachmonkey

beachmonkey

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:23 PM

I would like to see some channels from Australia and New Zealand appear but I doubt it happens. I'd pay for it too.

#3 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:19 AM

I would like to see some channels from Australia and New Zealand appear but I doubt it happens. I'd pay for it too.

When I was in Australia last year, most of the TV programming I saw originated in the U.S. or the U.K. anyway, so I'd be surprised if they could bring any Australian channels directly to the U.S. Even the ABC, the big noncommercial broadcaster that does have primarily Australian programming, carries a few shows that someone else owns the American rights to -- I see both "The Colbert Report" and "Life on Mars" (looks like the British version) on their schedule.

My favorite bit of Australian TV scheduling: one channel had a "Simpsons" rerun weeknights at 5:55, and another channel had a "Simpsons" rerun weeknights at 6:00. So if you didn't like the first 5 minutes of the 5:55 episode, you could flip and not miss any of the 6:00 episode. :D
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:40 PM

Is Directv planning to discontinue more internationals after announcing the end of the Polish Package ? The requirement for the big dish is probably a big reason why most foreigns go with Dish. I hope they move all internationals to the 110 or 119 after D12 is up and running, this will make installation much easier and I bet people who speak Chinese or Portuguese also want the American HD programs. Keeping the 2 dishes is a bad strategy, IMO.

All Dish international customers are being installed with the "Plus" dishes (500+ or 1000+), which are about the same size as the World Direct dish, so dish size isn't really a factor.

While it is pure speculation, I've suggested for well over a year that the internationals will likely end up being moved to 110/119, so that most folks will have a one-dish solution.

#5 OFFLINE   slimoli

slimoli

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:46 PM

All Dish international customers are being installed with the "Plus" dishes (500+ or 1000+), which are about the same size as the World Direct dish, so dish size isn't really a factor.

While it is pure speculation, I've suggested for well over a year that the internationals will likely end up being moved to 110/119, so that most folks will have a one-dish solution.

It's not only the size, it's the fact that 2 dishes are required. Most foreigns speak English (or sort of) and want to watch American channels as well. As you say, the "one dish solution" would be ideal.

#6 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 06:48 PM

The upcoming Africa Channel should feature lots of English-language South African content.

#7 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:59 AM

The main provider for international programming is Dish so it's harder to compete with them since they bought out the company that was providing it to most of the providers. DirecTV probably knows they can't compete price wise so they keep the majority of the programming they can get from other people and the higher % of popularity for international packages.

The ODU has nothing to do with it. It's all about economics.

#8 OFFLINE   N9QZD

N9QZD

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:46 AM

I recently received this reply from D* regarding international programing:

(This is only part of the reply from D*)

"I'm excited to hear about your interest in our international packages. We offer several international channels, including Vietnamese Direct, Seoul Broadcasting System (Korean), HindiDirect, Aastha TV (Indian), PolishDirect, and RussianDirect. We have also added channels from Brazil, the Ukraine, Greece, and the Caribbean, as well as South Asia and the Philippines. Over the course of the next several months, we expect to begin carrying international programming in German, Japanese and French."

I think some of the information may be out of date, as I thought I read that Polish was discontinued. Anyone care to comment. I like the idea of additional programing as I am interested in other cultures. I like watching English subtitled programs.

-Pete

#9 OFFLINE   Alexandrepsf

Alexandrepsf

Icon

• Registered
  • 738 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:03 AM

They should add TV5 and RAI. There is a big French or Italian speaking community in this country.
DirecTV since 2002
HR34-100
HR22-104
HR23-100
Deca BB
Samsung SmarTV

#10 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 12:01 PM

Wonder if they'd ever add something from Japan. I'm taking Japanese in college and it would be nice if I could see some Japanese stuff other than the animes I download from on demand...

#11 OFFLINE   N9QZD

N9QZD

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 12:21 PM

Wonder if they'd ever add something from Japan. I'm taking Japanese in college and it would be nice if I could see some Japanese stuff other than the animes I download from on demand...

According to the email from the csr, French, German, and Japan are in the works. My guess is it has something to do with D12 and making room on other sats. Probably 110 or 119.

#12 OFFLINE   bones boy

bones boy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 274 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 01:55 PM

In the last few years DTV has been quick to cancel channels with low sign ups, like Carribean Channel, HYPE TV, and others. My thought is they appear to be focusing on the popular ones (read: moneymakers) like Chinese, Korean, Filipino and Indian.

That email received above from a CSR is canned and old. There are no Carribean-sourced channels on DTV.

While I would really enjoy an African channel, I don't think we'll ever see it on DTV. Just not enough sign-ups to justify the cost/bandwidth. Dish has a placeholder for it on their site.

#13 OFFLINE   CKNAV

CKNAV

Godfather

• Registered
  • 320 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:24 AM

They should add TV5 and RAI. There is a big French or Italian speaking community in this country.

They had Italian package and they canceled it, just like Polish package.
2 HR20-700
1 HR21-700
1 HR21-200
1 SWM8

#14 OFFLINE   oenophile

oenophile

Godfather

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 04:00 PM

I recently received this reply from D* regarding international programing:

(This is only part of the reply from D*)

"I'm excited to hear about your interest in our international packages. We offer several international channels, including Vietnamese Direct, Seoul Broadcasting System (Korean), HindiDirect, Aastha TV (Indian), PolishDirect, and RussianDirect. We have also added channels from Brazil, the Ukraine, Greece, and the Caribbean, as well as South Asia and the Philippines. Over the course of the next several months, we expect to begin carrying international programming in German, Japanese and French."

Is this confirmed by any other source other than the above? Would love to know French was on its way for certain.
D* Subsc. '99
HR34 Genie + Client; Onkyo TX-NR5008; Harmony 900

#15 OFFLINE   FCBarca

FCBarca

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 01:50 PM

TV5 is long overdue

#16 OFFLINE   nightrider

nightrider

Legend

• Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 02:00 PM

they had a italian package but all it was news 24 hours ,, i think they should add a package of teletino canada , rai , and alot of folks would be happy , i no here in ny alot of italians have dishnet because they got better italian programming

#17 OFFLINE   ronsanjim

ronsanjim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 417 posts
  • LocationCherokee Village, AR

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:35 AM

We subscribe to one of the Filipino packages, but at $24.99, find it isn't worthwhile to keep for the whole month, so we keep it for 2 weeks at a time, then cancel. Another 2 or 3 weeks passes, and we sign up again. Way better than paying for the whole month. And never a penalty....

#18 OFFLINE   KNPKH2ster

KNPKH2ster

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 01:00 PM

Speaking of Indian channels, I hope one day that D* adds Zee TV and Sony to their lineup. If they do it one day, that could be good for business. I know that there is Zee TV on DirecTV but thats only available outside the USA. (Yes D* is also in Latin America)

Come on D*, don't leave your USA viewers hanging.

#19 OFFLINE   oenophile

oenophile

Godfather

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:07 PM

Shame that TV5 (French language) is still not offered. And that D* has virtually no foreign language programming (other than Spanish & Jadeworld). Dish and most cable networks have it, now.
D* Subsc. '99
HR34 Genie + Client; Onkyo TX-NR5008; Harmony 900

#20 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:13 AM

My wife was Japanese and we had to carry basic on Dish Network to get NHK from TV Japan. Dish has far more international programming than Directv. Directv has more sports, that's just the way it is.

spam firewall