Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV iPhone app surpasses 1 million downloads!

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,644 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:19 AM

From directv.com:

Congratulations to the entire development team on this!

Posted Image
DIRECTV DVR Scheduler iPhone® App Surpasses 1 Million Milestone Mark
DIRECTV's Popular DVR Scheduler App Now Available on Android Devices and the Palm® Pre™ and Pixi™

EL SEGUNDO, Calif., Feb 02, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Less than one year after its debut for the iPhone® and iPod touch®, more than 1 million users have downloaded the award-winning DIRECTV DVR Scheduler app. The wildly popular app is now available on Android devices and the Palm® Pre™ and Pixi™.

In 2009, the DIRECTV DVR Scheduler app was named one of forbes.com's Best Branded Mobile Apps, Best Mobile Application by Mobile Excellence Awards and highlighted as one of Apple's Favorite Staff Picks.

DIRECTV has led the industry in the application of remote DVR scheduling technology, with more than 12 million recordings scheduled remotely to DIRECTV DVRs in 2009. Future versions of the application will offer the ability to order DIRECTV Cinema movies for mobile phone only households, content recommendations and ratings, and streaming of show and movie trailers.

"The success that the DVR Scheduler app has received in such a short amount of time has truly surpassed our expectations," said Eric Shanks, executive vice president of Entertainment for DIRECTV. "Based on the positive responses we received from Apple iPhone and iPod touch users, as well as industry experts, it is clear the DVR Scheduler app provides our customers with a convenience they need in a simple format that anyone can use. We will continue to enhance the application with even more features and benefits and are excited to expand this offering to additional mobile phone platforms."

The DIRECTV DVR Scheduler app, now being featured in a new national TV campaign, is the easiest and fastest way to program your home DVR to record any show right from your phone - no matter where you are. The application enables users to:

* Search for any television show up to 14 days in advance
* Browse programs by channel or date and time
* Get program information instantly, including description, length and rating
* Record a single episode or an entire series
* Program DIRECTV Cinema movies to be recorded and ready to watch anytime
* Record to any DIRECTV DVR in the home

DIRECTV customers can download the app for free from the App Store on the iPhone and iPod touch or at www.itunes.com/appstore/, on Android devices in the Android Marketplace and on the Palm® Pre™ and Pixi™ in the Palm App Catalog. DIRECTV customers can also remotely schedule their home DVR from any computer by visiting directv.com/tvlistings, or cell phone via the m.directv.com mobile scheduler Website.

About DIRECTV, Inc.

DIRECTV (NASDAQ:DTV) is the world's most popular television service delivering state-of-the-art technology, unmatched programming, the most comprehensive sports packages available and industry leading customer service to its more than 24.5 million customers in the U.S. and Latin America. In the U.S., DIRECTV offers its 18.4 million customers the capacity for more than 200 HD channels in Dolby 5.1 theater-quality sound, access to exclusive sports programming such as NFL SUNDAY TICKET™, award winning technology like its DIRECTV® DVR Scheduler and higher customer satisfaction than the leading cable companies for nine years running. DIRECTV Latin America, through its subsidiaries and affiliated companies in Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Venezuela, Colombia, and other Latin American countries, leads the pay-TV category in technology, programming and service, delivering an unrivaled digital television experience to 6.1 million customers. DIRECTV sports and entertainment properties include three Regional Sports Networks (Northwest, Rocky Mountain and Pittsburgh) as well as a 65 percent interest in Game Show Network. For the most up-to-date information on DIRECTV, please call 1-800-DIRECTV or visit directv.com.

SOURCE: DIRECTV, Inc.

DIRECTV, Inc.
Jade Ekstedt, 310-964-3429
jlekstedt@directv.com

Copyright Business Wire 2010

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:43 AM

Wow, that's quite an accomplishment! One of my favorite and most-used apps on the phone, for sure.

#3 OFFLINE   rRooster9999

rRooster9999

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:25 PM

Anyone know if we'll see this for the HTC touch diamond anytime soon? I would like :)

#4 OFFLINE   VandyCWG

VandyCWG

Godfather

• Registered
  • 408 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:01 PM

I would never say never....but it doesnt seem that way.....

Windows Mobile gets zero love....maybe when WM7 comes out, we wil get some of these apps.

Spring Hill, TN (Nashville DMA)

Receiving Equipment: SWM 3 Slimline | Full DECA cloud
Living Room: Mini C31 | LG 55" LED
Bonus Room: HR44-700 | Sharp 70" 3D LED | Sony STR-DN1040 | PS3 | Slingbox Pro-HD | Slingbox SOLO
Master Bedroom: HR24-500 | Westinghouse 40"
Man Cave: Mini C31 | 
LG 55" LED
Computer/Networking: Windows 7 /WMP12 | Netgear R6300 | 50/5 Charter HSI
Mobile Phones Verizon - Droid Razr MAXX, Rooted 4.1.1

#5 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:10 PM

Good news for sure, hoping for a WM version sometime (maybe after WM7) and then they will have quite a catalog of programs for mobile devices.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#6 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:21 PM

Great news...for iPhone users. :down:

#7 OFFLINE   Alebob911

Alebob911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 04:07 PM

Congrats D*! Glad I could help get you there!:D

#8 OFFLINE   GreatPig

GreatPig

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 04:30 PM

I used the app on my iPhone exactly once- the day I installed it. I keep it just in case I am in a bank while it is getting robbed and hostage situation arises. :)

#9 OFFLINE   VHS or Beta

VHS or Beta

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 04:50 PM

I know Apple and Google are the kings of marketing, but believe it or not there are more smartphones being made with Symbian OS on them than either of those two. Will we be getting an app soon?

#10 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Formerly AirRocker

• Moderators
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 05:17 PM

We have a "Where's my App?" thread right over there -----> Click

Please reserve this thread for discussion of the 1 million iPhone App downloads.

Congrats to DIRECTV and the development team. This is definitely one of my favorite apps on my iPhone.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

#11 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,370 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 05:47 PM

I have it on the home page. I use it frequently just to search the evenings programs rather than the HR's guide, I think it's faster:)
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#12 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 06:52 PM

This is why DirecTV chose to develop for the iPhone first. Can't blame them, just makes me sad to be on the losing end. :(

#13 OFFLINE   ctaranto

ctaranto

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:21 AM

This is why DirecTV chose to develop for the iPhone first. Can't blame them, just makes me sad to be on the losing end. :(

There's no reason to believe that if they made it for the Blackberry first (which out numbers Apple's phones by a ton), they wouldn't have had the same downloads in the same (or less) time.

-Craig

Subscriber since Feb 2008
D* Receivers: HR21-700 w/1TB eSATA, HR24-100, HR21-700
Dish: Slimline + International@95 (w/SWM-16), Roof-mount
TV: 54" Panasonic G10 Plasma, 50" Panasonic ST30 Plasma, JVC 20" tube
Audio: Denon AVR1910
Speakers: Energy Take Classic x 7, BIC America H100 12" sub
Control: Home Theater Master MX-500
Place Shifting: Slingbox Pro-HD

#14 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:15 AM

I started developing apps for Symbian almost a decade ago. After much expense, and despite the apparent market size, sales didn't even cover the cost of the space on the website. Same story for Windows Mobile. Different story for the iPhone, though. Only thing I can figure is the ease of use. You can't beat the iPhone for its user interface.

I know Apple and Google are the kings of marketing, but believe it or not there are more smartphones being made with Symbian OS on them than either of those two. Will we be getting an app soon?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#15 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,082 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:57 AM

There's no reason to believe that if they made it for the Blackberry first (which out numbers Apple's phones by a ton), they wouldn't have had the same downloads in the same (or less) time.

-Craig

Sure there is. Everyone I know that has an iPhone is app crazy and downloads a ton of them. When you meet with someone that has an iPhone, the first thing you do is compare apps.

I am the only user of a Blackberry that I know that has even attempted to download apps and I know plenty of Blackberry users.

Different culture. Different marketing. Different customer base. (The iPhones are much more consumer driven while Blackberry is much more business driven.)
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#16 OFFLINE   ctaranto

ctaranto

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 10:50 AM

Sure there is. Everyone I know that has an iPhone is app crazy and downloads a ton of them. When you meet with someone that has an iPhone, the first thing you do is compare apps.

I am the only user of a Blackberry that I know that has even attempted to download apps and I know plenty of Blackberry users.

Different culture. Different marketing. Different customer base. (The iPhones are much more consumer driven while Blackberry is much more business driven.)

I guess we'll agree to disagree. Most Blackberry users I know download apps.

Subscriber since Feb 2008
D* Receivers: HR21-700 w/1TB eSATA, HR24-100, HR21-700
Dish: Slimline + International@95 (w/SWM-16), Roof-mount
TV: 54" Panasonic G10 Plasma, 50" Panasonic ST30 Plasma, JVC 20" tube
Audio: Denon AVR1910
Speakers: Energy Take Classic x 7, BIC America H100 12" sub
Control: Home Theater Master MX-500
Place Shifting: Slingbox Pro-HD

#17 OFFLINE   Sim-X

Sim-X

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 04:15 PM

anyone heard anything about a windows mobile version? I use the dtv ap on my ipod which I love - but would be nice to have on my phone 2.

#18 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 04:16 PM

anyone heard anything about a windows mobile version? I use the dtv ap on my ipod which I love - but would be nice to have on my phone 2.

We have a "Where's my App?" thread right over there -----> Click

Please reserve this thread for discussion of the 1 million iPhone App downloads.

Congrats to DIRECTV and the development team. This is definitely one of my favorite apps on my iPhone.

#19 OFFLINE   ricochet

ricochet

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 04:26 PM

I guess we'll agree to disagree. Most Blackberry users I know download apps.

Didn't apple pass 3 billion downloads a while back? Is the number of Blackberry app downloads anywhere close to that? My guess is not. The whole iPhone culture revolves around downloading apps.

#20 OFFLINE   Sparky Scott

Sparky Scott

Godfather

• Registered
  • 471 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 01:17 PM

I still haven't used any of them yet... Don't know that much about them

spam firewall