Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lost skips from 20 minutes in to 1:32 minutes

unsaved content

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   TAnsley

TAnsley

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts
  • LocationRound Rock, TX, USA

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:01 PM

That sounds more like a hard drive problem.

This is what I am getting:

Unfortunately, cant be since I have similar behavior on BOTH of my DVRs since the last FW update.

Had several recordings last night that were corrupted BADLY. so bad I had to delete them. Fortunately, they were HBO or Show episodes that can be re-recorded.

I had MRV turned on. I have now turned MRV off and am going to see if any new recordings have the problem.
TAnsley

"I never said most of the things I said." - Yogi Berra

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:24 AM

Unfortunately, cant be since I have similar behavior on BOTH of my DVRs since the last FW update.

Had several recordings last night that were corrupted BADLY. so bad I had to delete them. Fortunately, they were HBO or Show episodes that can be re-recorded.

I had MRV turned on. I have now turned MRV off and am going to see if any new recordings have the problem.

If it's happening on multiple DVRs, that would point to a signal issue. Perhaps a connection that's "iffy" that works sometimes, but not all the time.
DogLover

My Setup

#23 OFFLINE   JAYPB

JAYPB

Legend

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:48 AM

You know I'm seeing something similar in my setup. I've noticed that since we activated MRV on all 5 HD DVR's I'm seeing video glitches/freezes on recordings that are MONTHS/years old. On all 5 DVR's I'm seeing similar type video glitches that I never saw in previous months.

For example we just finished watching the Tudors last week. The most recent season of The Tudors ended in May of 09. We watched 2 episodes a few days before we activated MRV and there were no video issues. Then after MRV we watch the last episode of the Tudors and the video glitches we're seeing are the exact same time of glitches I'm seeing on all my other DVR's for recorded material that ares either days old...or weeks/months old. And I'm seeing this on the TV/DVR where we recorded it...not on another DVR through the MRV system/setup.

And we'd NEVER seen this type of video issues in the weeks prior to this.

I haven't noticed if it occurs on "live" programming. But I'll have to tell my wife to keep an eye out for that.

I was going to start a new thread asking if anyone else had seen anything similar after going to MRV. Guess I'll have to.
D* sub
1 HR20/3 HR21's/1 HR22/1 AM21/3 R15's /5LNB/3LNB/single LNB dishes...and a large utility bill!!!

#24 OFFLINE   durl

durl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 01:41 PM

For the past 2 weeks, we've experienced momentary freezes/glitches during playback of Lost. It seems to occur about every minute and will last for 5-10 minutes. I recorded the OTA signal on our HR20. I haven't noticed it happening with any other playbacks.

#25 OFFLINE   TAnsley

TAnsley

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:58 PM

If it's happening on multiple DVRs, that would point to a signal issue. Perhaps a connection that's "iffy" that works sometimes, but not all the time.

Yet I have no problems with LIVE viewing. If it is the same bits as what is being put on the HD, then there should be screwup in the live stream as well.

Also, I have never had any issues with the 2nd DVR. My signal rates at each DVR are in the 90's.

All of this started happening after the FW update.
TAnsley

#26 OFFLINE   TAnsley

TAnsley

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 05:03 PM

You know I'm seeing something similar in my setup. I've noticed that since we activated MRV on all 5 HD DVR's I'm seeing video glitches/freezes on recordings that are MONTHS/years old. On all 5 DVR's I'm seeing similar type video glitches that I never saw in previous months.

For example we just finished watching the Tudors last week. The most recent season of The Tudors ended in May of 09. We watched 2 episodes a few days before we activated MRV and there were no video issues. Then after MRV we watch the last episode of the Tudors and the video glitches we're seeing are the exact same time of glitches I'm seeing on all my other DVR's for recorded material that ares either days old...or weeks/months old. And I'm seeing this on the TV/DVR where we recorded it...not on another DVR through the MRV system/setup.

And we'd NEVER seen this type of video issues in the weeks prior to this.

I haven't noticed if it occurs on "live" programming. But I'll have to tell my wife to keep an eye out for that.

I was going to start a new thread asking if anyone else had seen anything similar after going to MRV. Guess I'll have to.

Jay,

The only "live" viewing that I saw the glitches on are those that were also being recorded that we just happen to be watching live.

I haven't checked recordings that are very old yet, but I have a season and a half of Heros that I can check this out on:p.
TAnsley

#27 OFFLINE   Sparky Scott

Sparky Scott

Godfather

• Registered
  • 471 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 06:40 PM

I personally have never had that particular problem.. However I have had some dvr issues within the last few weeks..

#28 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:39 PM

Yet I have no problems with LIVE viewing. If it is the same bits as what is being put on the HD, then there should be screwup in the live stream as well.

Also, I have never had any issues with the 2nd DVR. My signal rates at each DVR are in the 90's.

All of this started happening after the FW update.

I'm confused. Is the problem with 1 DVR or with both DVRs?
DogLover

My Setup

#29 OFFLINE   gphvid

gphvid

Godfather

• Registered
  • 498 posts
  • LocationThousand Oaks, Ca

Posted 12 February 2010 - 04:38 AM

Anyone have this issue? the recording goes straight from 20 minutes to 1:32 in.

I get this every once in a great while. I have found that it will occur if the sat signal disappears or something, then reappears again, like in a heavy rainstorm (California storms), which pass after a few minutes. I sometimes also get a hole for what i believe to be a drive burp in that, for some reason, the show is recorded correctly, but the drive got stupid as a certain point, causing it to skip a whole section (sector, maybe?) and go on to the next. I have found on both occasions if I skip to the end of the show, and then rewind back, I can find the skip point and resume sometimes with only a few seconds lost. Wierd, but it has worked. You do have to be careful, because if you do go back further than where the skip happens, then when you play again, you will skip again and have to start all over again. Tedious I know, but mine works this way. Wierd too. I still think it is something with the drive at the time of recording that causes the sector, maybe, to not get the right info so the system knows the order that sector should be in for proper playback. And, like most systems, it will just skip and move on to the next good section and resume.

#30 OFFLINE   TAnsley

TAnsley

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 01:36 PM

Both are acting the same way.
TAnsley

#31 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 04:10 PM

Both are acting the same way.

Ah, OK. I got confused. Even though the symptoms could mean a bad hard drive, it is unlikely that you have 2 go bad at the same time. However, the fact that you don't see the problems on live TV seem to indicate that it's not a signal problem.

If you record the same thing on both DVRs, are the problems in the same place on both recordings? If you watch that program live, while you are recording one of those, are you sure you don't see any symptoms at the same point their are problems?
DogLover

My Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...