Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

C-Band at the End?

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,243 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 05 February 2010 - 07:34 AM

FWIW, I saw this in today's SkyReport

C-Band at the End?

Looks like the consumer C-Band business will be dead and gone by the end of this year. After hearing from several retailers about rumors that Motorola would cease its authorization stream, we started making inquires. No response from Motorola but Mike Monfort of National Programming Service (NPS) confirms that the demise is likely.

"We had a conference call in late December when Motorola talked about discontinuing the authorization stream on April 15th," Monfort says. After some protests and concerted lobbying, the giant manufacturer boosted prices by 20%, agreed to continue service until the end of the year and said they will then decide the future.

Motorola will almost certainly discontinue the service, Monfort says, so his National Programming Service (NPS) has ceased selling annual subscriptions. That's bad news for many retailers and C-Band's current 22,606 subscribers. "The people who are left love their C-Band," Monfort says. But Motorola apparently finds the business inconvenient ... and so an era is coming to an end.

SkyReport

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 09:40 AM

With only 22,606 customers nationwide, I can see how it isn't profitable to keep going.

My first sat job was installing C-band dishes in 1987...

#3 OFFLINE   Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 09:46 AM

There may be more to the story. Other places have stated that NPS may simply be looking to get out of the C-Band business, as their competitors have stated there isn't an issue with staying in the C-Band business.

#4 OFFLINE   jeffgbailey

jeffgbailey

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 02:01 PM

the truth is nps is in bed with Charlie and now he wants a ring

There seems to be some misinformation going on that Motorola will be ending c band support as of the end of the year. This is not true. NPS is getting out of selling c band subscriptions and lieing to convert people over to Dish Network.

I called NPS twice today and they told me these lie's and wanted me to convert. I called SRL and they told me this is not true. I then called Skyvision and had a nice conversation with Mike Kohl about this. Mike's exact words were "hogwash" NPS has made a deal with the devil and is trying to sell there remaining customers to Charlie.

Mike also said that he will be talking about this whole issue on Friday night on Access America. He went into other details but I'll let him tell everything this Friday.

The bottom line is if your not with SRL or Skyvision renew your subscriptions with them as soon as your subs with NPS run out. I will be doing this.

Do not bite on NPS's offers to transition you to dish network. They are pulling a Superstar, Netlink, Turnervision.

Mike Mountford is blowing smoke in his letter. Motorola is not ending support for c band at year end. I spoke with Mike Kohl yesterday at Skyvision, Both Skyvision and SRL have been in contact with Motorola and this is false information NPS is selling.

NPS got a 20% increase in there fee's they pay to Motorola in January (For ACC tier bit access I would guess) NPS is also in a no contract situation with A&E networks so those channels are on the line.

The deal with the devil (as Mike Kohl call's it) has been sealed with Charlie Ergen of Dish Network. NPS gets a Bounty from Charlie for every C band subscriber he turns over to them. NPS is getting out of the c band business at year end and closing it's doors.

Motorola is not happy with the lies NPS is spreading for there own benefit. Nps may be facing legal action for this.

If I would have to sum it up, NPS contact from Mr Mountford you got adding what I know. NPS contract ran out Jan 1st for tier bit access. They had till April 15 to pay the increases and renew. They refused to pay the 20% increase and got Motorola to extend it till Dec 31st for a smaller fee. Probably the 7% increase they raised programming in February. They figured the only way to win is to sell there customer base to Charlie Ergen getting a finders fee for each fool who converts.

Skyvision and SRL are under different contracts with Motorola , HITS (Comcast) and the programmers. They are not effected by anything NPS does with Motorola.

The bad part about this is there hard sell to Dishnet and lies they offer as far as the skys are going dark are not good business decisions for c band consumers.

more info is here

#5 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,459 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 05 February 2010 - 09:29 PM

May my 12 foot Paraclipse rest in peace. Used it from 1978 until 2003.
Posted Image

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#6 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,243 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 05 February 2010 - 09:35 PM

R.I.P. you Princes of the Sky, but keep looking up, for one day you may receive a signal from the stars.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#7 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 09:50 PM

Used mine from 1993 to 2000. Installed it myself. The best years I ever had scanning the sky. RIP

http://www.dbstalk.c...76&d=1265428244

Attached Thumbnails

• summersunny.jpg

#8 OFFLINE   Lincoln6Echo

Lincoln6Echo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 10:52 PM

Used mine from 1993 to 2000. Installed it myself. The best years I ever had scanning the sky. RIP

http://www.dbstalk.c...76&d=1265428244

You take pictures like my mom....subject off centered and cropped at the edges. She'll take pictures of landmark buildings and she'll cut the top off of the roof or steeple or whatever, but she'll get plenty of ground below the base of the building. Or vice versa. Cut the bottom off, but get plenty of empty sky.
END OF LINE

#9 OFFLINE   dengland

dengland

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 11:08 PM

My 12 foot lived until the 2004 hurricanes: Charley, Frances and Jeanne. It then turned into braces for my garage door. (Before the storms.)

HR34-700, HR20-700, HR22-100, HR22-100

#10 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 12:21 AM

You take pictures like my mom....subject off centered and cropped at the edges. She'll take pictures of landmark buildings and she'll cut the top off of the roof or steeple or whatever, but she'll get plenty of ground below the base of the building. Or vice versa. Cut the bottom off, but get plenty of empty sky.

Lighten up. The picture was taken for a computer wallpaper. Having the sky and trees was intentional.

#11 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 01:00 AM

Looks like a head banger while cutting the grass.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#12 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,459 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 06 February 2010 - 07:29 AM

Looks like a head banger while cutting the grass.

It wasn't to bad, the picture was taken in the grass mowing position. This is also an older photo, before I converted it to a Horizon to Horizon mount and tripod mount for the LNB.

My favorite things watched on it were the sports back hauls and Canadian Networks.

Edited by loudo, 06 February 2010 - 07:37 AM.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#13 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 10:51 AM

My old 10' Unimesh Perf Minnesota dish. I used it for both C and KU band from about 1989 to 1996, when I moved to Florida. The last time I drove by the house, last September it was still there. It's a bit up in the air which made for interesting times clearing snow off the dish. ;) This was my first installation when I got into the satelllite business.
Posted Image

Posted Image
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#14 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 10:54 AM

Some interesting installs that I did over the years: http://www.pbase.com...stalls&page=all
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#15 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,708 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 06 February 2010 - 11:31 AM

So is there anything left on C-Band that isn't encrypted? Can you still order channels?

I always thought CB was better, you were getting the uncompressed signals directly from the network, you could get almost every channel available, and you didn't have to worry about whether or not your provider was going to carry the channel, no "middle man".

With all of these carriage disagreements lately, it would be kind of nice if we could go back to those days.

#16 OFFLINE   Sparky Scott

Sparky Scott

Godfather

• Registered
  • 471 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 01:16 PM

does that have anything to do with th ku band on the big sats. the ones that are combined with the c band?

#17 OFFLINE   gomezma1

gomezma1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 460 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 07:46 PM

They are giving these dishes away down here in San Antone. Are they still usefull for C band FTA?

#18 OFFLINE   Jtaylor1

Jtaylor1

Legend

• Registered
  • 192 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 08:03 PM

We'll, there's always Ku-Band.

Will this affect digital networks (ie. Retro Television Network and This TV) and the broadcast stations that carry them?

#19 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 08:15 PM

They are giving these dishes away down here in San Antone. Are they still usefull for C band FTA?

Heck yeah... All 6 major networks, PBS HD, Nasa, lots of Sports feeds, News channels... there is a lot to watch. Most of it in HD if you have the right receiver. When something important happens, like the earthquake in Haiti, it was on FTA live before anywhere. If you can swing the price of a receiver, grab one of those free dishes. I have a 6'er and a 10'er.

#20 OFFLINE   james hyde

james hyde

AllStar

• Banned User
  • 75 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 08:37 PM

wow!that is a very bis satllite dish the dish at my house is smaller then that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

spam firewall