Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

C-Band at the End?

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,417 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Georgia

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:38 AM

Y'know, this thread actually shouldn't be here. C-band pay-TV programming is just one (little-used) form of DBS, and it's not FTA... :P

For the sake of clarity, here is the description of the FTA / Non-DBS Satellite Area Forum: "Satellite Television is not just DBS Mini Dishes! Here you can discuss other satellite technologies such as C-Band, KU-Band and their related receivers, such as 4DTV along with FTA (Free To Air) MPEG Receivers."

Michael, before I posted I considered the forum in which to put this topic. I am by no means an expert in C-band, but I've been a fan of and have followed the technology almost since its inception. I appreciate your contributions in this forum and I always read your posts with interest.

...But to get this thread back into compliance, here's my FTA-based tangent. This is actually good for FTA viewers with C-band dishes for two reasons. More inactive dishes mean more used C-band dishes and equipment for sale. And as the universe of C-band viewers shrinks, broadcasters are more likely to send C-band feeds without encryption.

Let's hope that is the case. Although I've never had C-band, I always wanted to get a BUD, and secretly envied those who had one. But I am old, and even though I now have enough land for a VLA*, it's probably a little late for me to go down that path.

*Very Large Array

Edited by Nick, 24 February 2010 - 06:31 PM.

~ 13 Years on DBSTalk ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:52 AM

C'mon guys, I was only playing, hence the stuck-out tongue. When a thread is seriously in the wrong place, you don't add another post to it, you click the triangle to report it to the admins. They know how to move stuff real quick! ;)
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#53 OFFLINE   james hyde

james hyde

AllStar

• Banned User
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:43 PM

i do not like the way the c-band dish looks!!!!!!!

#54 OFFLINE   james hyde

james hyde

AllStar

• Banned User
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:44 PM

what is the c-band servise called??????????

#55 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,417 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:54 PM

i do not like the way the c-band dish looks!!!!!!!

Don't look at it.

what is the c-band servise called??????????

What, are you twelve? Learn to spell, use caps to start your sentences and stop pounding the ! and ? keys.

~ 13 Years on DBSTalk ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#56 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,955 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:09 PM

I've got plenty of room for a BUD, lots of wide open spaces if I can keep the deer from running into the thing and the wasps from nesting in it. My issue with them is that I'm a button pusher and channel scanner. I've got a terribly short attention span and I'm constantly changing channels. I always understood you couldn't really do that with BUDs since they had to reposition themselves between satellites for certain channel changes.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#57 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,538 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:49 PM

I've got plenty of room for a BUD, lots of wide open spaces if I can keep the deer from running into the thing and the wasps from nesting in it. My issue with them is that I'm a button pusher and channel scanner. I've got a terribly short attention span and I'm constantly changing channels. I always understood you couldn't really do that with BUDs since they had to reposition themselves between satellites for certain channel changes.

That is the main difference between DirecTV or DISH and C-Band, besides the size of the dish. The channels are scattered from east to west, in the Clark Belt. I retrofitted my unit with a horizon to horizon mount, rather than an actuator arm, I was a big news surfer with my unit. I kept wearing out the actuator arms.
H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#58 OFFLINE   cousinofjah

cousinofjah

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:57 PM

That is the main difference between DirecTV or DISH and C-Band, besides the size of the dish. The channels are scattered from east to west, in the Clark Belt. I retrofitted my unit with a horizon to horizon mount, rather than an actuator arm, I was a big news surfer with my unit. I kept wearing out the actuator arms.

is there such a thing as a multi-LNB c-band dish that can point at several different satellites without having to move?
Myopic Direc Lo Def Warrior (D12-300 x3, R16-300 x1)

#59 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,904 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:41 PM

How does that work? How many satellites do you see at once? Can you take some pictures? :grin:

#60 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,538 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:31 PM

is there such a thing as a multi-LNB c-band dish that can point at several different satellites without having to move?

There are some dishes that can look at several satellites at once, but they are stationary and you could never veiw all of the satellites, as it is stationary. You can see one here: http://www.global-cm...ltifeedsys.html

You could never get one C-Band dish look at all satellites at the same time, as they are located in the Clark Belt which runs around the world about 22,000 miles above the earth. So you have satellites as far west as you can see, all the way overhead and as far east as you can see. That is why most C-Band systems need either an actuator arm or horizon to horizon mount to move the dish and be able to view all satellites, but using them you can only look at one satellite at a time. This done with the use of an actuator arm that will rotate the satellite dish about 120 degrees or a horizon to horizon mount that will rotate the dish 180 degrees, allowing you to see more satellites.

They do make a C/KU Band corotor that can look at a C-Band and a KU Band satellite located at the same location without moving the dish, but both satellites have to be at the same location, An example of that is in the 125 degree slot a C/KU LNB could see Gallaxy 14 © and AMC 21 (KU) without moving the dish. Here is the one I had on my system: http://www.mjsales.n...ID=263&Cat2ID=7

I am not sure if they still make them, but at one time they made a C/KU DirecTV LNB setup that you could use your C/KU Dish to receive DirecTV also. Of course you needed DirecTV receivers and a subscription.

#61 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,538 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:37 PM

How does that work? How many satellites do you see at once? Can you take some pictures? :grin:

See my above post.

As I sold the dish in 2003, I don't have any photos of the H to H mount, only the actuator arm mount before I retrofitted my dish, it is shown in my previous post http://www.dbstalk.c...266&postcount=5

#62 OFFLINE   cousinofjah

cousinofjah

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 11:14 PM

There are some dishes that can look at several satellites at once, but they are stationary and you could never veiw all of the satellites, as it is stationary. You can see one here: http://www.global-cm...ltifeedsys.html

thanks for the info - an interesting bit from this link:

Posted Image

PLEASE BE AWARE that the pictured 9-satellite reception system using a 90 cm Paraclipse round offset antenna was part of a test to demonstrate how far away from center that MPEG-2 signals could be received. We were successful in going 30 degrees left and right of center, but realize that this was under optimum conditions during clear weather, critically aligned with a spectrum analyzer, and does not provide any margin for outages during rain or other bad weather. DO NOT assume or attempt to set up a permanent system with these conditions, or you will be severely disappointed.

so much for that idea. Though I'd gotten the impression that there were only a few sats that provided unencrypted content i.e. Golbecast but I suppose each satellite has some encrypted and some unencrypted?
Myopic Direc Lo Def Warrior (D12-300 x3, R16-300 x1)

#63 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,280 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 19 February 2010 - 11:55 PM

They do make a C/KU Band corotor that can look at a C-Band and a KU Band satellite located at the same location without moving the dish, but both satellites have to be at the same location, An example of that is in the 125 degree slot a C/KU LNB could see Gallaxy 14 © and AMC 21 (KU) without moving the dish. Here is the one I had on my system: http://www.mjsales.n...ID=263&Cat2ID=7

I am not sure if they still make them, but at one time they made a C/KU DirecTV LNB setup that you could use your C/KU Dish to receive DirecTV also. Of course you needed DirecTV receivers and a subscription.

There is DMX741 for start.

#64 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 12:09 AM

Don't look at it.What, are you twelve? Learn to spell, use caps to start your sentences and stop pounding the ! and ? keys.

!rolling
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#65 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 07:31 AM

Posted Image

Ah, so that's what a satellite press conference looks like.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#66 OFFLINE   FogCutter

FogCutter

Godfather

• Registered
  • 382 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:15 PM

End of an era.
So how long will it take IP to bury DBS?

#67 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:16 AM

Are there any other cool you tube videos like that guy selling VCII equipment?
Former USSB uplink operator.

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

#68 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,417 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:09 AM

According to a brief note in SkyReport today, NPS says that 10 nets, including the Cartoon Network, Spike TV, TNT and CMT will cease transmitting via C-Band on April 6. One channel (Blue Highways TV) will cease transmitting on May 1.

Sad to say, but it looks like C-band is circling the drain.

~ 13 Years on DBSTalk ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#69 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,904 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 11 March 2010 - 06:29 PM

According to a brief note in SkyReport today, NPS says that 10 nets, including the Cartoon Network, Spike TV, TNT and CMT will cease transmitting via C-Band on April 6. One channel (Blue Highways TV) will cease transmitting on May 1.

So how will they be broadcasting then?

#70 OFFLINE   FogCutter

FogCutter

Godfather

• Registered
  • 382 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:40 PM

So C-band is going, OTA is being threatened. Wire line telephones are dropping like flies.
We live in interesting times.

#71 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,538 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:49 PM

So C-band is going, OTA is being threatened. Wire line telephones are dropping like flies.
We live in interesting times.

Changing times and technology. Just like newspapers subscriptions and constantly getting smaller, mail not going to be delivered on Saturday or analog TVs becoming extinct. As newer technology come into play, the old goes out.

#72 OFFLINE   jeffgbailey

jeffgbailey

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:48 PM

no it isn't

Those stations were gathered, compressed like hell and resold by NPS...the people who are getting out of C-Band because Charlie is in bed with them and he wants a ring now.

These stations could be picked up by other providers (Skyvision and SRL)

#73 OFFLINE   jeffgbailey

jeffgbailey

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:49 PM

So C-band is going,

no it isn't

Now the heck do you think Dish, Direct and cable companies get most of the national channels?

yep...C-Band :rolleyes:

#74 OFFLINE   bruin95

bruin95

Godfather

• Registered
  • 292 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 12:36 AM

There is PLENTY of free stuff to watch on C-band, not to mention all the wild feeds of professional and college sports and news feeds. C-band isn't going anywhere.

#75 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,417 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 12:48 PM

SkyReport
Apr 9, 2010

Another round of programming is going dark for C-Band systems, according to a note sent to dealers from National Programming Service. Effective June 20, all Showtime channels (including 16 flavors of Showtime, four Movie Channel versions and Flix East and West) will turn off. May 1 will see Blue Highways TV leave the big dish and earlier this week WGCL (CBS), WSB (ABC), WXIA (NBC), WPIX, Cartoon Network, Spike TV, VH-1, TRUTV, TNT and CMT left the service.

NPS repeats its opinion that Motorola will cut the cord completely on C-Band subscribers by the end of this year.

~ 13 Years on DBSTalk ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

Protected By... spam firewall...And...