Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

C-Band at the End?

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   jeffgbailey

jeffgbailey

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 06:48 PM

C-Band is actually the name given to the frequency band of the receivers that are used to pick up the signals. There were several different companies that sold programing for the C-Band receivers, with packages similar to what DirecTV and DISH offer today. I think there is only one company left today and that is the one mentioned here, NPS. If you go to programming on their web site, you will see what you can get for programing. They currently offers a lot less than they did years ago. Here is their web site: http://www.callnps.com/

there are more than ripoff NPS (nice piece of s**t)

www.programming-center.net
www.skyvision.com

NPS is getting out of the business because they are sleeping with Charlie

Actually C-Band was around before either DirecTV or DISH, so many people who lived in rural areas as well as a few city dwellers bought C-Band equipment. In the early days nothing was scrambled and all you needed was a receiver. As they became more popular the scrambled and you needed a Motorola 4DTV receiver and subscription to receive the programing offered by DirecTV and DISH. There was still a lot of things that were unscrambled, News Feeds, sports backhauls (Feeds from the event back to the studios), International programing and Network (ABC, CBS, etc, sent to the local stations for rebroadcast) feeds. Eventually most of those became scrambled. Then the KU band started being used to send video and many of us retrofitted our dishes to receive their signals. I used to watch a lot of news feeds being sent from scenes to the networks. I specifically remember watching things like the live feeds from the Oakland California fire storms. Before the Sunday Ticket package we used to be able to watch the back haul of any football game, which used to be unscrambled.

still PLENTY of free channels up on C-Band. :)
Loving all the sports feeds on it

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,777 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:06 PM

Can you get HD channels on C-Band?

#43 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,485 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:35 PM

Can you get HD channels on C-Band?

Like I said I have not had C-Band since 2003, but I do remember getting a few HD channels (PBS Feeds specifically and I think a few premium movie channels like HBO) with my 4DTV receiver, but it required an additional equipment. I can't recall if it was a different decoder module or an additional piece of electronics I had to plug into the 4DTV receiver.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#44 OFFLINE   the300

the300

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 09:29 PM

Man, you guys are really bringing back some memories !
I grew up on an old C-band dish, My dad still has the big monster in the backyard.
When we first got it we thought it was the greatest thing since indoor plumbing.You could get anything on the air free after purchasing the equipment. Like someone mentioned, most of the good channels became scrambled and you needed an embedded decoder chip to get the scrambled channels or you could subscribe.
I remember watching many games without sound as it was an alternate feed.
xxx channels were all easily found as well.

#45 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:46 PM

Y'know, this thread actually shouldn't be here. C-band pay-TV programming is just one (little-used) form of DBS, and it's not FTA. :P

But to get this thread back into compliance, here's my FTA-based tangent. This is actually good for FTA viewers with C-band dishes for two reasons. More inactive dishes mean more used C-band dishes and equipment for sale. And as the universe of C-band viewers shrinks, broadcasters are more likely to send C-band feeds without encryption.
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#46 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,485 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:17 PM

Y'know, this thread actually shouldn't be here. C-band pay-TV programming is just one (little-used) form of DBS, and it's not FTA. :P

But to get this thread back into compliance, here's my FTA-based tangent. This is actually good for FTA viewers with C-band dishes for two reasons. More inactive dishes mean more used C-band dishes and equipment for sale. And as the universe of C-band viewers shrinks, broadcasters are more likely to send C-band feeds without encryption.

Taking C-Band viewers back to the old days. :grin:

#47 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:38 PM

My best friend in 1st grade had a C-Band dish. It had an actual tuner like a old receiver where the knob would slide the dial up and down the frequencies . HBO east and west was something I had to grasp.
Former USSB uplink operator.

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

#48 OFFLINE   cousinofjah

cousinofjah

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 04:46 PM

That's not exactly true. With multicasting capabilities, the stream would go out on the backbone only once, then as it trunks down the line it would get replicated until it goes to individual receviers of the stream.

that's kind of how FIOS works, right? or U-Verse?

#49 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 12:24 AM

FWIW, I saw this in today's SkyReportSkyReport

I used to have C-band and loved it, 10' dish blew over in a winter storm. Wonder if they will just leave receivers authorized and not shut them off?
My equipment:
1 HR22-100 leased
1 HR22-100 owned
1 HR23-700 owned
1 R22-100 owned
1 R22-200 owned

Slimline III with a 4X8 multiswitch and an SWM8
18" round dish with a 4X8 switch on the garage

#50 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,185 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 05:58 AM

Take a look at the forum description. :)

#51 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,322 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:38 AM

Y'know, this thread actually shouldn't be here. C-band pay-TV programming is just one (little-used) form of DBS, and it's not FTA... :P

For the sake of clarity, here is the description of the FTA / Non-DBS Satellite Area Forum: "Satellite Television is not just DBS Mini Dishes! Here you can discuss other satellite technologies such as C-Band, KU-Band and their related receivers, such as 4DTV along with FTA (Free To Air) MPEG Receivers."

Michael, before I posted I considered the forum in which to put this topic. I am by no means an expert in C-band, but I've been a fan of and have followed the technology almost since its inception. I appreciate your contributions in this forum and I always read your posts with interest.

...But to get this thread back into compliance, here's my FTA-based tangent. This is actually good for FTA viewers with C-band dishes for two reasons. More inactive dishes mean more used C-band dishes and equipment for sale. And as the universe of C-band viewers shrinks, broadcasters are more likely to send C-band feeds without encryption.

Let's hope that is the case. Although I've never had C-band, I always wanted to get a BUD, and secretly envied those who had one. But I am old, and even though I now have enough land for a VLA*, it's probably a little late for me to go down that path.

*Very Large Array

Edited by Nick, 24 February 2010 - 06:31 PM.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#52 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:52 AM

C'mon guys, I was only playing, hence the stuck-out tongue. When a thread is seriously in the wrong place, you don't add another post to it, you click the triangle to report it to the admins. They know how to move stuff real quick! ;)
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#53 OFFLINE   james hyde

james hyde

AllStar

• Banned User
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:43 PM

i do not like the way the c-band dish looks!!!!!!!

#54 OFFLINE   james hyde

james hyde

AllStar

• Banned User
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:44 PM

what is the c-band servise called??????????

#55 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,322 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:54 PM

i do not like the way the c-band dish looks!!!!!!!

Don't look at it.

what is the c-band servise called??????????

What, are you twelve? Learn to spell, use caps to start your sentences and stop pounding the ! and ? keys.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#56 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,655 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:09 PM

I've got plenty of room for a BUD, lots of wide open spaces if I can keep the deer from running into the thing and the wasps from nesting in it. My issue with them is that I'm a button pusher and channel scanner. I've got a terribly short attention span and I'm constantly changing channels. I always understood you couldn't really do that with BUDs since they had to reposition themselves between satellites for certain channel changes.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#57 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,485 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:49 PM

I've got plenty of room for a BUD, lots of wide open spaces if I can keep the deer from running into the thing and the wasps from nesting in it. My issue with them is that I'm a button pusher and channel scanner. I've got a terribly short attention span and I'm constantly changing channels. I always understood you couldn't really do that with BUDs since they had to reposition themselves between satellites for certain channel changes.

That is the main difference between DirecTV or DISH and C-Band, besides the size of the dish. The channels are scattered from east to west, in the Clark Belt. I retrofitted my unit with a horizon to horizon mount, rather than an actuator arm, I was a big news surfer with my unit. I kept wearing out the actuator arms.

#58 OFFLINE   cousinofjah

cousinofjah

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:57 PM

That is the main difference between DirecTV or DISH and C-Band, besides the size of the dish. The channels are scattered from east to west, in the Clark Belt. I retrofitted my unit with a horizon to horizon mount, rather than an actuator arm, I was a big news surfer with my unit. I kept wearing out the actuator arms.

is there such a thing as a multi-LNB c-band dish that can point at several different satellites without having to move?
Myopic Direc Lo Def Warrior (D12-300 x3, R16-300 x1)

#59 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,777 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:41 PM

How does that work? How many satellites do you see at once? Can you take some pictures? :grin:

#60 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,485 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:31 PM

is there such a thing as a multi-LNB c-band dish that can point at several different satellites without having to move?

There are some dishes that can look at several satellites at once, but they are stationary and you could never veiw all of the satellites, as it is stationary. You can see one here: http://www.global-cm...ltifeedsys.html

You could never get one C-Band dish look at all satellites at the same time, as they are located in the Clark Belt which runs around the world about 22,000 miles above the earth. So you have satellites as far west as you can see, all the way overhead and as far east as you can see. That is why most C-Band systems need either an actuator arm or horizon to horizon mount to move the dish and be able to view all satellites, but using them you can only look at one satellite at a time. This done with the use of an actuator arm that will rotate the satellite dish about 120 degrees or a horizon to horizon mount that will rotate the dish 180 degrees, allowing you to see more satellites.

They do make a C/KU Band corotor that can look at a C-Band and a KU Band satellite located at the same location without moving the dish, but both satellites have to be at the same location, An example of that is in the 125 degree slot a C/KU LNB could see Gallaxy 14 © and AMC 21 (KU) without moving the dish. Here is the one I had on my system: http://www.mjsales.n...ID=263&Cat2ID=7

I am not sure if they still make them, but at one time they made a C/KU DirecTV LNB setup that you could use your C/KU Dish to receive DirecTV also. Of course you needed DirecTV receivers and a subscription.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...