Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

C-Band at the End?

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   Jtaylor1

Jtaylor1

Legend

• Registered
  • 192 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 12:11 PM

Update from NPS:

Travel Channel is now broadcasting on C3-599 and C4-602 until 5-17-10 when it's C4-602 shuts off.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   ACR_Ted

ACR_Ted

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 11:51 PM

The issue will be educating people that it is there, and how to use it. Very few people with the HRx DirecTV series receivers even know you can use it to watch Internet TV. I have showed several friends it and they were really surprised it could be done. Currently, a lot of us techy people know about it but the average DVR customer doesn't have a clue or could care less about it. They just want to use the receiver for watching satellite programing.

This sounds interesting to me....could you please tell me how it is done? A search via google turned up nothing.

Thanks!

Ted

#83 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:03 AM

This sounds interesting to me....could you please tell me how it is done? A search via google turned up nothing.

Thanks!

Ted

Network it to your home network with internet connection, then run a program called PLAYON (or others) on one of your computers on the same network, which will act as an internet video server, and allow you to watch programs from several networks, hulu, etc with your HRxx DVR. Adding a second program, Tversity, will allow you to play any media (music, videos, pics) from your home network with the HRxx as well.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#84 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,468 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:26 AM

Thanks!

Ted

As Davenir explained the basics of setup, you can also check out the following threads for more information on Media Share:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ght=media share

http://www.dbstalk.c...ght=media share (Mac Users)

These are just a few of the threads that talk about Media Share. If you can't find what you want do a search for "Media Share", and you will see many more.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#85 OFFLINE   ACR_Ted

ACR_Ted

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:27 PM

Network it to your home network with internet connection, then run a program called PLAYON (or others) on one of your computers on the same network, which will act as an internet video server, and allow you to watch programs from several networks, hulu, etc with your HRxx DVR. Adding a second program, Tversity, will allow you to play any media (music, videos, pics) from your home network with the HRxx as well.

Thanks everyone for the links and advice!

Ted

#86 OFFLINE   rid0617

rid0617

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 03:23 AM

They are giving these dishes away down here in San Antone. Are they still usefull for C band FTA?

Man I wish they would down here. I'm trying to find one that don't cost an arm and a leg in South Carolina for FTA. Got bored with my little FTA dish

#87 OFFLINE   Jtaylor1

Jtaylor1

Legend

• Registered
  • 192 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:30 PM

Bad news. An offical notification from Motorola (in PDF) has been released.

#88 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:58 PM

They quit selling subscriptions because they said Motorola would quit providing support but it turns out Motorola is going to stop providing support because companies stopped selling subscriptions.

While I can obviously see the writing on the wall that c-band is dying for end users, I put some of the blood on NPS's hands. To me they were telling everyone to find something else, not taking new customers, and making existing customers leave. Of course the customer base is going to decline when the people that are supposed to be pushing a service push it away from the customers.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#89 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,761 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:13 AM

NPS was supporting a service that was not financially viable. I haven't dealt with them in nearly a decade, but I imagine that the cost of supporting customers became simply disproportionate to the revenue they generate when they are getting deluged with complaints about discontinued channels, and interrogated regarding prospective channel discontinuances and dragged into arguments over what the customer's obligations are to NPS and whether they are entitled to refunds or credits. Even if the customer is wrong every time, the cost of arguing with them can exceed the profit from their subscription.

#90 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,278 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:45 PM

Motorola, inheritor of the BUD C-Band business, is
shutting it off as of Midnight, December 31, 2010

SkyReport

C-Band Sunset
by Evie Haskell evie@mediabiz.com

RIP BUD.

There really isn't a whole lot more to say. But it's a great story. So ....

The Big Ugly Dish got it's start when a Stanford University professor - and all round great guy, the late Taylor Howard – put a giant parabolic dish in his backyard and discovered he could bring in satellite-delivered TV signals. Not too long after that, he found that he could get one of the nation's first premium pay TV services ... HBO. He wrote a letter. Did they mind? They never replied.

Thus started a Wild West tumble of BUDs sprouting like sunflowers across Kansas ... outrage from an (eventually) enlightened HBO ... encryption ... piracy ... corporate skullduggery ... and then ... >>>

More @ MediaBiz.com

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#91 OFFLINE   isiis

isiis

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:08 AM

(pictures removed by moderator)

These are both from a 12 foot dish, Worth anything?

Edited by Stuart Sweet, 03 August 2010 - 11:21 AM.

#92 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,854 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:39 AM

Would you please reduce a size of your pictures ?!
DSL line is chocking :(

#93 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,278 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:05 AM

4 mb is a bit mutch.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#94 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:07 AM

At least he trimmed his toenails...
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#95 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:21 AM

Please repost smaller versions of the pictures, thanks.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#96 OFFLINE   RalphAlfalfa

RalphAlfalfa

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:54 AM

Nuts! I finally found a good source for information only to learn C band is dead. I'm 63, fixed income, don't go up on the roof. It seems my only choice is Dish Network (which I'm predisposed to dislike after having NPS strong-arm me) as DirectTV has less subscribers and costs more. I sure have missed my favorite ladies on TNT - Closer, Grace. Any advice for me?

#97 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,468 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:12 PM

Nuts! I finally found a good source for information only to learn C band is dead. I'm 63, fixed income, don't go up on the roof. It seems my only choice is Dish Network (which I'm predisposed to dislike after having NPS strong-arm me) as DirectTV has less subscribers and costs more. I sure have missed my favorite ladies on TNT - Closer, Grace. Any advice for me?

DirecTV has more subscribers than DISH, if that is what you were referring to.

Both companies play with their prices, but when you add up programing and equipment costs they come out pretty closer to each other. Some have lower prices for a year or other deals for new customers, but after that period is over there is very little difference. One includes locals in their package and the other requires a separate charge for them. The best thing to do is select the channels you are interested and choose a service from there.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#98 OFFLINE   Danilo-11

Danilo-11

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:02 PM

They are giving these dishes away down here in San Antone. Are they still usefull for C band FTA?

Where are they giving them away?
I need one (maybe, still gotta check with HOA)
send me an email to rodaal78@yahoo.com
I want to be able to get NSS-806

Edited by Danilo-11, 01 September 2010 - 09:07 PM.

#99 OFFLINE   Jtaylor1

Jtaylor1

Legend

• Registered
  • 192 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 12:50 AM

I found some good news from a SRL Rep who posted on Satelliteguys.

Update: NPS will be shutting down subscriptions on December 26. No more subscriptions to C-Band after December 8th. Credits will be calculated for customers who paid on the past date and refunds will be made in the future.

Edited by Jtaylor1, 14 November 2010 - 11:52 PM.
Update

Protected By... spam firewall...And...