Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

R-15 Dead

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   smittynm

smittynm

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:03 AM

So my R15 has finally died. I lost the HDD (was actually thinking of replacing it, and the the receiver stopped working (I see at least two capacitors bulging). I figure to fix this myself will cost the same as getting another one.

I am think of purchasing another receiver. I have been a customer since 2006. I am currently SD and not planning on upgrading to HD. What are my options (another R15, R16, or R22)? Am I missing anything?

Anyone have an owned receiver they are not using and wish to sell?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,600 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:37 AM

Welcome to DBSTalk!

Have you called DirecTV? As a long-time customer they might just offer you a sweet deal to replace your R15. Give them a call before taking the risk of buying someone else's used DVR.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   tinmanohio

tinmanohio

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 01:59 PM

If you call DTV be sure to ask the right questions. Free is a relative term!?
My R-15 died last March. The CSR told me that as a long time customer I could receive a "FREE" receiver. First keep in mind, as discussed in other threads, they will send what ever model is available. Next, ask about shipping. I was auto billed $30 shipping that I was not aware would happen. And then there was the two year commitment they put on my account that I was also not told about. I did get the two year commitment removed, I think, they could not give my verification number for that action. I never got the shipping refunded. Just something to consider.

Bill

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 02:18 PM

If your R15 was leased, it will get replaced with an R15/R16 for the cost of shipping if you don't have the Protection Plan (PP), and for free if you do.

If your R15 was owned, it will be replaced with a leased R15/R16 with a 2 year commitment without the PP, and for free, with no commitment, if you have the PP.

#5 OFFLINE   tinmanohio

tinmanohio

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 02:29 PM

Nice clarification. I did own the receiver that was replaced. That is why I come here, to learn.

Bill

#6 OFFLINE   smittynm

smittynm

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 05:27 PM

Just to clarify things... I own the receiver and do not have the PP. I am going to call D* to see what they offer me. If I end up gonit the route of buying one off ebay or some where else, am I correct in thinking that I can use an r16 and R22 with SD? Is there an advantage of one over the other. Is it possible for me to reuse my access card?

Thanks for the replies.

#7 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 05:50 PM

You can use any HD receiver on an SDTV just fine. The only issue is that you'll either need a TV with an available line input, or you'll need to buy an RF modulator to convert the line outputs to coax (CH3 or CH4), since the HD receivers don't have a coax output.

You won't be able to re-use your card; it's "married" to the receiver, and DirecTV policy is to send you a new card for the previously-used receiver ($20, 2nd-day air).

#8 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:53 AM

Just to clarify things... I own the receiver and do not have the PP. I am going to call D* to see what they offer me. If I end up gonit the route of buying one off ebay or some where else, am I correct in thinking that I can use an r16 and R22 with SD? Is there an advantage of one over the other. Is it possible for me to reuse my access card?

Thanks for the replies.

You can use any HD receiver on an SDTV just fine. The only issue is that you'll either need a TV with an available line input, or you'll need to buy an RF modulator to convert the line outputs to coax (CH3 or CH4), since the HD receivers don't have a coax output.

You won't be able to re-use your card; it's "married" to the receiver, and DirecTV policy is to send you a new card for the previously-used receiver ($20, 2nd-day air).

Just a clarification... If you purchase from ebay, be sure to get the RID number first and confirm with the DirecTV Access Card Team that the receiver is owned and can be activated. Also, the R16 is essentially the same as the R15, except it is SWM compatible. As for the R22, it has advanced features that the HR2x receiver has.

If you purchase an HD receiver and do not currently have HD service, DirecTV will not activate the receiver without you adding on HD programming. This will also most likely entail a dish upgrade, which might or might not be free.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#9 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 12 February 2010 - 08:06 PM

Yes, The Merg is right about HD receivers/DVR's.

Since many, many people have upgraded to HD (and put their R15's in a closet) my suggestion would be to try and buy one and get it activated on your account. This avoids: 1) leased equipment 2) shipping charges (from DirecTV) 3) a new 2 year commitment

You may have to spend $20 for a new access card, but I bet if you request to be connected to the ACCESS CARD DEPARTMENT they can set up the access card you now have in your broken R15 to work with the new receiver.

Ebay is a nice place to look but you may not know that if you join the DBSTALK CLUB ($15/year) you will have access to a special forum where members buy and sell equipment.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!!

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

Protected By... spam firewall...And...