Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DTV unable to broadcast in 1080p

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 02:04 PM

This will be my final post to this thread, since you folks seem to think that I have violated some unwritten code of conduct.

No. We have all been down this road before for many years and have seen things like the Pioneer actually be the root of the problem. As noted, Pioneer Elite AVR's are known to have HDMI/HDCP handshaking issues. Just take a trip over to AVS and you'll see that. All we suggested was to spend 5 minutes of your time to just make sure the Pioneer wasn't the problem. If it was it could have saved you (and still could) hours and days of frustration with DirecTV techs who don't know what's going on.

As it happens, the 1080p/24fps signal is being passed successfully from my A/V receiver to the HR20-700, as witnessed by the simultaneous 720p and 1080i lights on the front panel. This is what DirecTV engineering told me. If you disagree with engineering and/or with the results of this test, please let me know.

Uhhh, yes, I do disagree. Yes, 1080p/24 is going *out* of your HR20-700, but that doesn't mean your Pioneer receiver is actually doing the HDMI/HDCP handshaking properly to display it properly (a known issue with Pioneer's). Thus our suggestion of simply bypassing the Pioneer so that you'll know for sure what the problem is. And just because your Bluray is fine doesn't mean the Pioneer (or any TV for that matter) won't have an issue with the HR20. Every device is different on how it handshakes with HDMI/HDCP and it doesn't take much for it all to go wacky. Heck, my Home Theater PC works great via HDMI but once in a while my TV will lose it's handshaking sync and I'll have to actually unplug the TV from the wall to get it "reset". Basically have to reboot the TV. This isn't an uncommon thing with HDMI.

The problem now has been isolated to "native" mode. When it's off, there is no bottom tearing. When it's on, there is. You folks have devoted more than a page of posts to criticizing me for not performing your "required" test. Perhaps posting something more constructive would make better use of your time -- and mine.

Hey, if you'd rather spend hours on the phone with DirecTV vs. 5 minutes to run a cable it's your time. But knowing that certain Pioneer Elite's have a handshaking issue would certainly want me to confirm that mine didn't have the problem. So if you get your replacement HR2x and it still has the problem, are you going to keep getting replacements in hopes it will work or will you finally eliminate the Pioneer as the cause after weeks of replacements?

For the record I think it's just as likely to be a bum HR20-700 as anything. But knowing the history of handshaking issues with Pioneer Elite's I would certainly want to test it.

Good luck to you. I hope it's simple and your replacement works.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:37 PM

This will be my final post to this thread, since you folks seem to think that I have violated some unwritten code of conduct. As it happens, the 1080p/24fps signal is being passed successfully from my A/V receiver to the HR20-700, as witnessed by the simultaneous 720p and 1080i lights on the front panel. This is what DirecTV engineering told me. If you disagree with engineering and/or with the results of this test, please let me know. The problem now has been isolated to "native" mode. When it's off, there is no bottom tearing. When it's on, there is. You folks have devoted more than a page of posts to criticizing me for not performing your "required" test. Perhaps posting something more constructive would make better use of your time -- and mine.

Maybe next time you have an issue with equipment just dont post it. Its extremely frusterating to be trying to help and the person do anything BUT listen to the advice given here in troubleshooting the issue. No one wins in this situation at all. You wasted countless time on the phone with different techs, as well as everyone wasted countless time here reading and posting suggestions for you to try.
If your not willing to take the advice of many educated people here then please refrain from even asking for it. And now as someone posted earlier if someone else has an issue like this then they wont truely know what the cause of it was either.
You might get a new box and that fix your problem but theres no way to tell if it was simply a connection issue to begin with and simply unplugging and plugging back in the cables solved it.

#123 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,697 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:46 PM

Not necessary to turn the thread into collection of self-venting posts.

#124 OFFLINE   GutBomb

GutBomb

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:17 PM

The thread title is inaccurate. Can it be changed to something more appropriate?

#125 OFFLINE   smitmw1

smitmw1

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:48 AM

Somewhat surprised that no one else has ever seen this. Not even once? I have watched 10 or so 1080p offerings. From Bucket List during the test phase to Angels and Demons most recently. I have never seen it on PPV but have on 1080p VOD. I downloaded Monsters vs Aliens one night for the kids. When they watched it the next day it had a good 4 inches of video tearing on the bottom of the screen. I couldn't stand to look at it but it didn't seem to bother them.

This was on a direct connection, HR20-700 to Pioneer Kuro Plasma. I wrote it off as a VOD source issue. Would not have been the first issue I saw with VOD. FX had Kingdom of Heaven available a while back. Cadence issues with that encode made it unwatchable.

PS: If any one feels the need to check. Pioneer was one of the first to support 1080p/24. 24 frame sources get tripled and displayed at 72hz and have for a least 4 generations now.
HR20-700(leased) & HR20-700(owned)
Slimline w/swm lnb
No multiswitch
OTA via individual runs

HR20-700 -> Pioneer Plasma
HR20-700 -> Samsung LCD

#126 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,697 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:42 AM

Posting pictures would help to set a proof of evidence...

#127 OFFLINE   smitmw1

smitmw1

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:04 PM

Does VOD PPV give you the first 5 minutes to preview before buying? I am curious to see if it is repeatable (Monsters vs. Aliens). The only thing that I know has changed is the HR20. I was on a CE release at the time and now am on the NR.

Should there be any misunderstanding... I am aware FX VOD is not 1080p, I only mentioned it because of the common link. VOD
Slimline w/swm lnb
No multiswitch
OTA via individual runs

HR20-700 -> Samsung LCD

#128 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,901 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:07 PM

Does VOD PPV give you the first 5 minutes to preview before buying?

Yes it does, just don't hit select on yes to purchase.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#129 OFFLINE   smitmw1

smitmw1

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:28 PM

Yes it is repeatable. Not easy to get a good picture of tearing. The buy yes/no is overlayed and not affected. That left just the lower left corner to catch it. If the picture does not show it I will try to catch a short video clip. Opening a photobucket account now.
Slimline w/swm lnb
No multiswitch
OTA via individual runs

HR20-700 -> Samsung LCD

#130 OFFLINE   smitmw1

smitmw1

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:39 PM

Hopefully this works:

http://i811.photobuc...w1/DSC02738.jpg

Look at the stickers on the Laptop

http://i811.photobuc...w1/DSC02737.jpg

Obvious line in Meteor
Slimline w/swm lnb
No multiswitch
OTA via individual runs

HR20-700 -> Samsung LCD

#131 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,697 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 12 February 2010 - 01:29 PM

Thank for the pictures, but second one is out of questions - must be discarded.
Please use tripod or just hold the camera _steady_.
And don't use flash !

spam firewall