Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Superbowl 44 Congradulations REFS

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dogs31

dogs31

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 08:53 PM

Apparently the NFL Refs were paid by the Saints to fix the Super Bowl for them. I am hoping that Indy demands a rematch.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,968 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 07 February 2010 - 08:56 PM

Uhhh, I saw no bad calls...and I'm a Colts fan.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   Smthkd

Smthkd

Icon

• Registered
  • 925 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 08:59 PM

I wanted the Colts to win too but I thought it was just a darn good game! The Saints really shined tonight! Congrats to the NO Saints Superbowl 44 champs!

BTW: Its CongraTulations with a "T" not "D"...:P

Edited by Smthkd, 07 February 2010 - 09:04 PM.

Media/Family Room:
Panasonic TC-P65S1 Plasma , Toshiba XA2 (28 HD DVD's),Sony 60gig PS3 (80 Blu-Ray/16 Games), Onkyo 705, Infinity CC2, 4 Infinity RS5, 2 Infinity Overture 3,Velodyne DDS12, Directv HR20,Monster Power HTS2500 MKII, SlingBox ProHD
Master Bedroom:
Hitachi 55HDS69 Plasma, Sony STR-DA4ES, Toshiba A2, Directv - H21
Seating Room:
Panasonic 34" HDtv, Toshiba A2, Directv H21

#4 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:00 PM

:scratchin

#5 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,279 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:07 PM

Apparently the NFL Refs were paid by the Saints to fix the Super Bowl for them. I am hoping that Indy demands a rematch.

Sore loser (not looser)...also, it's congratulations (not congradulations). :rolleyes:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#6 OFFLINE   dogs31

dogs31

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:14 PM

Just kidding Congrads Saints

#7 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:15 PM

Can you list some examples?

I thought by far this was one of the better officiated Super Bowls in a long time. In fact, in my opinion, the only call that was even remote close to bad was the Personal Foul against the Saints there the end of the game.

The refs in this game, really let the players decide whom was the champ.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#8 OFFLINE   dogs31

dogs31

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:15 PM

I am over it. Here's to NASCAR season!!!!!!

#9 OFFLINE   Smthkd

Smthkd

Icon

• Registered
  • 925 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:18 PM

I am over it. Here's to NASCAR season!!!!!!

NOW where talking! The ShootOut in Daytona got me hyped!:lol:
Media/Family Room:
Panasonic TC-P65S1 Plasma , Toshiba XA2 (28 HD DVD's),Sony 60gig PS3 (80 Blu-Ray/16 Games), Onkyo 705, Infinity CC2, 4 Infinity RS5, 2 Infinity Overture 3,Velodyne DDS12, Directv HR20,Monster Power HTS2500 MKII, SlingBox ProHD
Master Bedroom:
Hitachi 55HDS69 Plasma, Sony STR-DA4ES, Toshiba A2, Directv - H21
Seating Room:
Panasonic 34" HDtv, Toshiba A2, Directv H21

#10 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:02 AM

Can you list some examples?

I thought by far this was one of the better officiated Super Bowls in a long time. In fact, in my opinion, the only call that was even remote close to bad was the Personal Foul against the Saints there the end of the game.

The refs in this game, really let the players decide whom was the champ.

Agree - one of the least controversial games in the playoffs.

By the way - Indianapolis never thought of contesting anything, nor had reason to.

That is just Sooooooooooooo Funny.

Guess that interception Manning threw was a mirage....perhaps if they look at it under Instant Replay....:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#11 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:44 AM

I thought they called the game a little loose... but I didn't think that it contributed to the Saints victory by any means. The 5 yards of contact at the line was often stretched out to 7 or 8, and I thought there were a few times that Saints defenders were getting there just a TOUCH early (Not sure if the Colts were doing the same - they never seemed to be anywhere near the Saints receivers when they were catching the ball!).

Other than those couple of things that bugged me.... I didn't think it was poorly officiated. I'm one of those that thinks if it's a penalty in the regular season it should be a penalty in the postseason.. I don't like when refs put their whistles away and decide only to call the most blatant fouls. It's a pet peeve of mine... BUT, the game was called the same both ways, so I don't put any blame on the officiating - I just don't like it. :D

As to the game... Sean Payton has some stones.... and his gambles really worked out. Going for it on 4th down at the goal line and not making it could have been a game changer. Instead, the Colts go conservative, try to run down the clock, punt it away, and the Saints still come away with a field goal. If the Saints put points on the board the first time and kick it off to the Colts, I think that the Colts probably try to generate at least a field goal in the last couple of minutes of the half. Instead, the Saints go in down by 4.

And the onside kick... If you give the Colts the ball on the Saints 45, and they take the short field and score a TD to go back up 10, momentum is all on the side of the Colts, and who knows what happens the rest of the way. Instead, (obviously), the Saints recover, drive down to tie it and the rest is history.

All in all, good game. Congrats to the Saints.

I haven't seen interviews with any players yet, but I saw the postgame interview with Jim Caldwell, and I thought he was very gracious in defeat. At one point, he said "We have to give the Saints all the credit - they did alot of things that we couldn't account for and they outplayed us". Pretty accurate summary of the game, I thought.

One last thing.... I really feel bad for Archie Manning in all this. He still lives in New Orleans, loves the Saints, and their winning the Superbowl should be a really happy day for him. Instead, he'll always remember that first Saints super bowl was at the expense of his son.
"There's a statistical theory that if you gave a million monkey's typewriters and set them to work, they'd eventually come up with the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Internet, we now know this isn't true" -Ian Hart

#12 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,617 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:44 AM

compared to the last two SB the Stealers "won" This was a low penalty game. There was like 2 called?
SB XL had so many drive killing bad calls it was ridiculous, and as a Cardinals fan I'll never forget this non call: Posted Image

#13 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:50 AM

compared to the last two SB the Stealers "won" This was a low penalty game. There was like 2 called?

There were 8...

2 personal fouls, one on each team and different times.

1 holding on the return against the Saints.

1 False Start on the Saints.

1 Illegal formation on the Colts.

2 False Starts on the Colts

1 Offensive Pass Interference on the Colts (Garcon right at the end of the game).

I can't believe in a game where holding can be called on darn near every play there wasn't a single holding penalty (except the one during the kick return on the Saints).

But, the calls are pretty even, the offensive pass interference was blatant (and probably saved a second interception, though it didn't matter in the end). False starts and formation.. pretty obvious, gotta call those....

So, fair, but loose, IMO.
"There's a statistical theory that if you gave a million monkey's typewriters and set them to work, they'd eventually come up with the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Internet, we now know this isn't true" -Ian Hart

#14 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,617 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:01 AM

hmm mea culpa on the number of calls. (still wasn't as bad as the Seahawks-Stealers SB)

#15 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:45 AM

I thought the refs did a good job. If you don't notice them, that means they did OK. The only time I noticed the refs was the 2 point conversion play on the goal line when they reviewed it.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#16 OFFLINE   jimmerz

jimmerz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:54 AM

Stealers...lol. I love Steeler haters!

Congrats! Saints...good game, it'll be better next year with the Steelers back in it.

#17 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 03:03 PM

hmm mea culpa on the number of calls. (still wasn't as bad as the Seahawks-Stealers SB)

I actually was posting the penalties in agreement with you (though it might not have seemed that way) that this was a low penalty game.

2 late hits and 1 holding on a return.

So there were 5 penalties "during play". 3 false starts, 1 illegal formation, and the pass interference.

Not a single holding penalty during the course of the game. No illegal contact or pass interference. Basically, they shoved their flags in their pockets for anything except procedure penalties.

But, it was the same both ways... nothing blatant that cost (or benefited) either team...

#18 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,600 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:22 PM

One of the best officiated games I've seen in any sport in a long time!

In fact... I only saw one "bad" call the whole game... and that was the 2-pt conversion that was reversed & corrected with instant replay by challenge from the Saints... and I 100% understand how the official missed that call in real-time. It was only through the reverse angle and in slo-motion that you could really see that the Saints receiver had possession, was down by contact, and breaking the plane of the end zone before the Colt kicked it out of his hands.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#19 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,226 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:02 PM

I thought the refs did a good job. If you don't notice them, that means they did OK.

An old myth. I have had any games where I unfortunately was quite noticed not because I wanted to be but because I had to be due to a very weird play or strange ruling. Like it or not, there are many times where we officials are too noticed but still do outstanding jobs.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#20 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:12 PM

There should have been an after the play penalty on the on-side kick. The Saints bench was on the field interfering, including multiple coaches while the refs were looking for the ball.

While I don't think this non-call made any difference overall as it would have only given the Saints a different starting point, it should have been called in my opinion.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...