Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Without Stretch-O-Vision

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 01:17 AM

Hey everyone

I got DirecTV a month or go, HD DVR and everything, and it's great. I can actually see the puck when I watch hockey now. But the problem I have is that I can't stand the HD channels that use stretch-o-vision for SD content. It drives me crazy because I can't stand watching anything that's not in its corect aspect ratio. My grandma is one of those people who willingly activates stretch-o-vision on her SD cable and I cant stand watching TV much when I'm over there.

So my question is this: does anyone have a list of which HD channels use Stretch-O-Vision on SD shows (excepting infomercials and commercials...they can stretch them to heck for all I care), and which channels actually broadcast in the true SD aspect ratio where appropriate? I'd like to take some of the SD feeds out of my guide, but only if the corresponding HD channel wont drive me crazy with its silly putty action.

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gphvid

gphvid

Godfather

• Registered
  • 498 posts
  • LocationThousand Oaks, Ca

Posted 08 February 2010 - 04:16 AM

Hey everyone

I got DirecTV a month or go, HD DVR and everything, and it's great. I can actually see the puck when I watch hockey now. But the problem I have is that I can't stand the HD channels that use stretch-o-vision for SD content. It drives me crazy because I can't stand watching anything that's not in its corect aspect ratio. My grandma is one of those people who willingly activates stretch-o-vision on her SD cable and I cant stand watching TV much when I'm over there.

So my question is this: does anyone have a list of which HD channels use Stretch-O-Vision on SD shows (excepting infomercials and commercials...they can stretch them to heck for all I care), and which channels actually broadcast in the true SD aspect ratio where appropriate? I'd like to take some of the SD feeds out of my guide, but only if the corresponding HD channel wont drive me crazy with its silly putty action.

Thanks!

While I do not have a list, I do know that TBS and Food Network and Cartoon Network have been stretch-o-vision violators. I'm sure there are many others, but those do come to mind at the moment.

#3 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:01 AM

TNT as well.

#4 OFFLINE   miketorse

miketorse

Icon

• Registered
  • 647 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:51 AM

IMHO the Discovery family of networks do a wonderful job of up-converting SD shows without stretching. They use a semi zoom technique that works well.
Mike

My system:

HR21
HR22 w/ AM21
R15
SWM-8
Slimline5 w/ no LOS to 119 Slimline3

#5 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:35 AM

IMHO the Discovery family of networks do a wonderful job of up-converting SD shows without stretching. They use a semi zoom technique that works well.

Semi zoom?

#6 OFFLINE   miketorse

miketorse

Icon

• Registered
  • 647 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:47 AM

Semi zoom?

Maybe another person has a better way of describing it. Sorry! Check out TLC HD sometime and you might be able to catch an example. It's much better than the stretch though.
Mike

My system:

HR21
HR22 w/ AM21
R15
SWM-8

#7 OFFLINE   ciurca

ciurca

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 01:17 PM

I hate stretch-o-vision. My first HD tv was a rear projection crt, which had screen burn from the pillar boxes within 1 year. Still better than stretch-o-vision.
HR34
HR23
Slingbox Pro HD

Twitter -> @saltwater_rider
Facebook -> facebook.com/craig.ciurca

#8 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 01:59 PM

Would be good if they could make those black bars not so perfectly black. Change pixels often enough that it doesn't burn in, but subtly enough that you'd have to be looking for it in the black bars to notice it.

I wonder if some of those programs that just display ever changing pixels that are used to fix stuck lcd pixels could be used to reverse burn in?

Also, are there any HD networks that are EXCELLENT about keeping content in its original aspect ratio? So far the only ones Ive seen are ESPN, NHL Network, and the premium movie channels (well, not original aspect ratio, but a real good cropping job to make the movie 16:9, sorta how most VHS movies were cropped intelligently to 4:3).

#9 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 04:18 PM

HDNet, MGM-HD, there are a lot of channels that NEVER use Stretch-O-Vision and always maintain the original aspect.

Why do TNT and TBS insult the viewers thusly? I mean, just to save a few bucks because they had the rights to some old films on SD tape lying around? I can't believe how cheesy that is. Heads look REEDICKLESS in SOV. People all turn into ALIEN.

#10 OFFLINE   LCDSpazz

LCDSpazz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:57 PM

It's a lot like the colorization of b&w movies that was tried in the '80s. It's a ridiculously stupid practice that tries to please the "why isn't this filling my screen" crowd. I hope it dies out like colorization did. Turner cables nets even use stretch-o-vision even on recent shows like Bones. It's pathetic.

#11 OFFLINE   oldfantom

oldfantom

Icon

• Registered
  • 661 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:25 PM

Would be good if they could make those black bars not so perfectly black. Change pixels often enough that it doesn't burn in, but subtly enough that you'd have to be looking for it in the black bars to notice it.

I wonder if some of those programs that just display ever changing pixels that are used to fix stuck lcd pixels could be used to reverse burn in?

Also, are there any HD networks that are EXCELLENT about keeping content in its original aspect ratio? So far the only ones Ive seen are ESPN, NHL Network, and the premium movie channels (well, not original aspect ratio, but a real good cropping job to make the movie 16:9, sorta how most VHS movies were cropped intelligently to 4:3).

I thought burn in was a thing of the past. I have a projection LCD, so not an issue. Until I decide to upgrade.

#12 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:40 PM

Semi zoom?

Maybe another person has a better way of describing it. Sorry! Check out TLC HD sometime and you might be able to catch an example. It's much better than the stretch though.

It's called a 14:9 aspect ratio. Half-way between 4:3 (12:9) and 16:9.
It's used alot on Discovery for shows that were shot as 4:3. It allows for a smaller amount of the vertical image to be cropped and smaller sidebars to be used.

In simple terms, instead of zooming the image to a full widscreen image and cropping the vertical all the way to someones forehead, they zoom out out half way and crop to the vetical to the top of their head.
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#13 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:53 PM

Ah, in other words its stretch-o-vision light.

Thanks.

#14 OFFLINE   miketorse

miketorse

Icon

• Registered
  • 647 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:05 PM

Ah, in other words its stretch-o-vision light.

Thanks.

With zoom, I wouldn't say that there is any stretching involved.
Mike

My system:

HR21
HR22 w/ AM21
R15
SWM-8

#15 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:21 PM

No stretching, only zoom and crop. No "big elbows".
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#16 OFFLINE   raoul5788

raoul5788

• Registered
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:26 PM

HGTV is another channel that stretches some content. That really bugs me. They shows ads in 4:3, but programming gets stretched. Go figure!

#17 OFFLINE   Tom Servo

Tom Servo

Icon

• Registered
  • 946 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:28 AM

It's called a 14:9 aspect ratio. Half-way between 4:3 (12:9) and 16:9.
It's used alot on Discovery for shows that were shot as 4:3. It allows for a smaller amount of the vertical image to be cropped and smaller sidebars to be used.

In simple terms, instead of zooming the image to a full widscreen image and cropping the vertical all the way to someones forehead, they zoom out out half way and crop to the vetical to the top of their head.

Seems like the advertisers would get miffed about the tops and bottoms of their products (and fine print!) getting cropped off the screen. It sure annoys me.

#18 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,465 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:43 AM

Seems like the advertisers would get miffed about the tops and bottoms of their products (and fine print!) getting cropped off the screen. It sure annoys me.

The A&E family of networks stretches their commercials (as far as I can tell while fast-forwarding on the DVR). I'm surprised the advertisers haven't complained -- particularly Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, and such, given that the stretching makes people still look fat "after." :D
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#19 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 02:54 PM

With zoom, I wouldn't say that there is any stretching involved.

True I spose, but it's still taking the content out of its original aspect ratio. Now, if this is a full-fledged professionally done studio-endorsed crop job to make it more viewable on 16:9 TV's I can handle it (Isn't Seinfeld doing that?), but if it's some kind of computer controlled algorithm doing it on on the fly, I still group it in with anything else considered stretch-o-vision.

#20 OFFLINE   Steve Rhodes

Steve Rhodes

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 01:50 AM

Hey everyone

Thanks!

I agree with everything you say, but I'd go one further.

I can't stand watching SD anymore whether is stretched or not.

SD is so ugly on a big HD set that I can't stand it. Life is too short to watch ugly television.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...