Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Without Stretch-O-Vision

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Jables

Jables

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:54 AM

Turner cables nets even use stretch-o-vision even on recent shows like Bones. It's pathetic.

That one makes me die inside. The show is shot 16:9 in HD, why are they not just showing that on TNTHD? Gah.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:39 AM

That one makes me die inside. The show is shot 16:9 in HD, why are they not just showing that on TNTHD? Gah.

I could be wrong, but they may not have the HD syndication rights.

#23 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:06 PM

I agree with everything you say, but I'd go one further.

I can't stand watching SD anymore whether is stretched or not.

SD is so ugly on a big HD set that I can't stand it. Life is too short to watch ugly television.

I watch a lot of internet video, so I guess I'm just used to looking more at the content of the programming rather than too much into how its presented, aspect ratio violations excepted of course.

So, can anyone think of a list of networks that DONT screw too much with the aspect ratio?

#24 OFFLINE   Tom Servo

Tom Servo

Icon

• Registered
  • 949 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:50 PM

I watch a lot of internet video, so I guess I'm just used to looking more at the content of the programming rather than too much into how its presented, aspect ratio violations excepted of course.

So, can anyone think of a list of networks that DONT screw too much with the aspect ratio?

Hmm, let me see.

CNN, ESPN1/2/U/News, NFL, MLB, Tennis, NHL, NBA, Golf, The 101, Spike, USA, Syfy, FX, Comedy Central, MGM, Universal HD, Smithsonian, Bravo, Nat Geo, Disney, Disney XD, Nick, ABC Family, QVC, MTV, VH-1, BET, Palladia, CNBC, Fox News, Fox Business, and then none of the premiums or regional sports channels as far as I know.

BBC-America does a 14:9 compromise like the Discovery channels. Beyond that, I don't know.

#25 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:38 PM

Hmm, let me see.

CNN, ESPN1/2/U/News, NFL, MLB, Tennis, NHL, NBA, Golf, The 101, Spike, USA, Syfy, FX, Comedy Central, MGM, Universal HD, Smithsonian, Bravo, Nat Geo, Disney, Disney XD, Nick, ABC Family, QVC, MTV, VH-1, BET, Palladia, CNBC, Fox News, Fox Business, and then none of the premiums or regional sports channels as far as I know.

BBC-America does a 14:9 compromise like the Discovery channels. Beyond that, I don't know.

You are my hero!

Now, heres another HD related question. My HDTV is a 720p TV, but 1080i still looks decent on it. Should I set the D* receiver to just convert everything to 720p, or will my TV to a better job of it? Ive got it set to native resolution mode with 480p, 720p and 1080i modes allowed currently.

#26 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:44 PM

Hmm, let me see.

DirecTV broadcast QVC in HD?

#27 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach, FL

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:39 PM

So my question is this: does anyone have a list of which HD channels use Stretch-O-Vision on SD shows (excepting infomercials and commercials...they can stretch them to heck for all I care), and which channels actually broadcast in the true SD aspect ratio where appropriate?

http://www.avsforum....ad.php?t=914099
Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures

#28 OFFLINE   Tom Servo

Tom Servo

Icon

• Registered
  • 949 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 05:36 PM

You are my hero!

Now, heres another HD related question. My HDTV is a 720p TV, but 1080i still looks decent on it. Should I set the D* receiver to just convert everything to 720p, or will my TV to a better job of it? Ive got it set to native resolution mode with 480p, 720p and 1080i modes allowed currently.

mx6bfast's link has a LOT more than what I came up with.

As for your TV, I dunno. If you feel like fooling around, try setting it up so the D* box converts everything to 720p and then compare it to the picture your TV gives downconverting on its own. Go with whichever looks better. ;)

DirecTV broadcast QVC in HD?

No, but as I understand it they don't stretch any live content.

#29 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:47 AM

Okay, this is just f*cing inexcuseable. I tuned to Cartoon Network HD because they were going to show a show that is actually 16:9 content to begin with, and not only are there issues with the sound fading out randomly, but they letterboxed it, vertical squish-o-vision. I tuned to the SD feed of cartoon network and set the format to crop mode, and it looked fine.

Anyone know the email for cartoon network so I can vent my spleen all over the appropriate network exec?

#30 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,484 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 14 February 2010 - 07:50 AM

I have to join the Stretch-O-Vision haters club. As soon as I see a program in Stretch-O-Vision, I grab the remote and start surfing. If a program is in 4x3 format, give it to us the way it was created and add the pillar bars to it.

If I was an advertiser and saw my product being advertised in Stretch-O-Vision, it would be removed from that channel immediately. Like the other night my wife was watching a show and I walked into the room and saw a diet food commercial on, in Stretch-O-Vision and this girl saying she lost 30 pounds. Well maybe she did, but she looked short and fat in Stretch-O-Vision. It kind of defeated the purpose of the commercial.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#31 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:47 AM

You are my hero!

I have a 720p and I have an old 1080i that won't show 720p so I have only 480p and 1080i selected on the DVRs. I see no difference on the DLP whether it receives 720 or 1080 and converts. YMMV.

#32 OFFLINE   Tom Servo

Tom Servo

Icon

• Registered
  • 949 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:58 PM

My living room TV actually can uncompress stretch-o-vision, but only if it is linear. So I can take stretched content on, say, History or Biography or Cartoon Network and unstretch it, and it looks okay. But so few TVs have this feature, they really shouldn't mess with the incoming signal. I'd much rather the people who want to stretch all programming be allowed to do it on their own TVs, since all HDTVs have some form of zoom/stretch built in.

As for Cartoon Network, there's an address floating around here somewhere but it won't do you any good. I wrote a quick, concise and friendly letter to them asking them to change and got no response. Same for TNT and TBS. :mad:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...