Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Choice Ultimate package now available

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,088 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:42 PM

BTW, what's the deal with CBS College Sports HD? I have Total Choice Plus and I get it. Is it because I'm grandfathered into that package and it was available with that package?

~Alan

From what I see on the Directv website, CBS College Sprots HD is still in the Total Choice Plus package. If they removed it and moved it up, things would be real ugly around here.

1-HR24-100
1-HR21-100
2-HR21-700
H21-100
SWM16

Wired network, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled)

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:44 PM

I'm still gett CBS CS HD with TL Choice plus.

#28 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 03:44 PM

Total Choice Plus is the same as Choice Extra, I have Plus and Ive got every channel that is in the Extra.

Only thing you get with Ultimate is the encores, and TMC E/W and Sundance.

#29 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,474 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 10 February 2010 - 03:57 PM

Total Choice Plus is the same as Choice Extra, I have Plus and Ive got every channel that is in the Extra.

and a few music stations as well.

#30 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:34 PM

But if you have the Starz/Showtime 2 for 1 offer, then the only thing you get is a few music channels fro $5.00.

I hope the folks at DirecTV will find a way to get those few music channels into our package without forcing us into a package we don't want/need. I really wanted to try out the Piano channel for background noise. I'm not willing to pay $5.00 for it.

At the end of my 2 for 1 offer, I may just drop Starz/Showtime and go with the new package. That's the only way I see it's worth $5.00.

#31 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:46 PM

And CBS College Sports, from Sports Pack.

Now since the Encore channels are part of the Starz pack, what happens if you've subscribed to the Starz/Showtime offer? Do you get a rebate? A smile?
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#32 OFFLINE   jal

jal

Icon

• Registered
  • 761 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:48 PM

I checked with D*. I have the Choice Extra +HD +DVR pkg. The HD-DVR combo is 12 bucks/mo. If I switch to Choice Ultimate I have to pay the new rates of 10 bucks for HD and 7 for DVR. Choice Ultimate is really 10 bucks/mo more for subscribers like me.

What a shame. I thought Directv was finally comming up with something good. So, For $2 more a month, you can have all the Starz channels. What a bs package.

#33 OFFLINE   cariera

cariera

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:49 PM

Another strike for the American education system. :-)

85.99-79.99 = $6

I wouldn't blame the American education system. It seems that the classroom between my ears was at recess.

:)

#34 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,474 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:55 PM

Now since the Encore channels are part of the Starz pack, what happens if you've subscribed to the Starz/Showtime offer? Do you get a rebate? A smile?

When I called I was told no that if you have the Ultimate pack that if you add Starz that you have to pay full price for the Starz pack. I think its a rip off. There is no other package that has this issue. No real reason for this one to either. Its simple just give us $5 off the Starz pack if we sub to it to. Nope you can just pay for Encore twice.

#35 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:58 PM

Already getting CBS College Sports with my current package.

#36 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,331 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:01 PM

I can't get to the spot I was at yesterday, but you could compare HD channels among the packages... which you can still do today, but the page looks slightly different and there are no HD totals in the list like yesterday.

Either way, Total Choice Ultimate yesterday stated that it had 10 more HD channels than Choice Xtra... but they only showed two different channels... The Movie Channel East HD, and CBS College Sports HD.

BTW, what's the deal with CBS College Sports HD? I have Total Choice Plus and I get it. Is it because I'm grandfathered into that package and it was available with that package?

~Alan

10 more are coming soon like Movie Channel west HD?

8 Encore HD?

movie channel xtra HD?
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#37 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:10 PM

When I called I was told no that if you have the Ultimate pack that if you add Starz that you have to pay full price for the Starz pack. I think its a rip off. There is no other package that has this issue. No real reason for this one to either. Its simple just give us $5 off the Starz pack if we sub to it to. Nope you can just pay for Encore twice.

Figures. I have never been as p****d off at DirecTV as I am now.
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#38 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,474 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:21 PM

Figures. I have never been as p****d off at DirecTV as I am now.

I think it is a move in the wrong direction. I dont know anyone who will want to pay twice for the same stations nor should they have to. Why introduce a package that has a flaw in it if you are not gonna correct it somewhere else? Make people mad and double charge them cause you can? Thats not the D* way so I am suprised.

#39 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:28 PM

For no particular reason I feel compelled to warn those with Total Choice Plus to keep Total Choice Plus. No matter how you crunch the numbers, its a better deal, because with Total Choice Plus, you can subscribe to Starz/Encore, and if you dont want it during the summer for example, you can drop it. Once you lock in to Ultimate, you'll never be able to go back to TC+.

Now, if they start adding new HD channels this summer, and only add them to the Ultimate package, but NOT the Total Choice + package, then things might be different.

I was going to bite myself, until I realized I would lose several HD movies channels (Im currently subbing to TC+ and the Starz/Encore pack) by switching. I would save $5 or so, but lose all the Starz HD channels, and gain ONE TMC East HD channel. To get the Starz channels back, I would have to pay for Encore twice.

#40 OFFLINE   ARKDTVfan

ARKDTVfan

Icon

• Registered
  • 624 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:44 PM

I for one like this new package
I enjoy the Encore theme channels more than the Starz channels but not enough to pay $12 , the 2 TMC channels plus Sundance is incing on the cake
now if D* would add Encore HD and Encorewould bring the themed channels in HD it'd be really nice

#41 OFFLINE   marker101

marker101

Legend

• Registered
  • 157 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:14 PM

Ripoff? How about the measly Cinemax channels at what they are charging. Thanks but no thanks. Most places bundle HBO and Cinemax. Not Directv.

#42 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 9,064 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:42 PM

For no particular reason I feel compelled to warn those with Total Choice Plus to keep Total Choice Plus. No matter how you crunch the numbers, its a better deal, because with Total Choice Plus, you can subscribe to Starz/Encore, and if you dont want it during the summer for example, you can drop it. Once you lock in to Ultimate, you'll never be able to go back to TC+.

Back when I first got DirecTV, the Encore channels were included in the top Total Choice package, and while it's for an extra fee, I LIKE that DirecTV is now offering this.

At this point in time, I can't justify going to Total Choice Ultimate from Total Choice Plus, but if DirecTV adds more HD simulcasts of the premiums, I may indeed be interested.

~Alan

#43 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 9,064 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:48 PM

10 more are coming soon like Movie Channel west HD?

8 Encore HD?

movie channel xtra HD?

I simply said I thought it was interesting that the page stated that it had 10 more HD channels than Total Choice Xtra... and commented that of the 11 premium channels this package adds, only 1 of them is currently available in HD... so where do they get the additional 10 HD channels?

Either it's a mistake which is very probable given the other mistakes on the page, or perhaps DirecTV intends on adding HD versions of those channels.

Wishful thinking... nothing more...

~Alan

#44 OFFLINE   Luck255

Luck255

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 07:07 PM

You only get the encore tmc/sundance channels with ultimate over choice extra so if you wanted starz you would go to choice extra and add starz. Right? Or then you would miss the TMC/Sundance? I feel like I'm the only one whos missing something. :confused:

#45 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 9,064 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 07:23 PM

You only get the encore tmc/sundance channels with ultimate over choice extra so if you wanted starz you would go to choice extra and add starz. Right? Or then you would miss the TMC/Sundance? I feel like I'm the only one whos missing something. :confused:

Actually, Sundance would be included with the Starz package as well.

So the only difference with Total Choice Plus/Extra over Total Choice Ultimate is The Movie Channel (E&W) and some MusicTap channels.

However, for those who don't want to shell out $11(?) for the Starz package, you can pay $5 extra and get 11 extra movie channels.

~Alan

#46 OFFLINE   marker101

marker101

Legend

• Registered
  • 157 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:02 PM

I just bought into the Choice Ultimate package, mainly to offset the price increase and to get additional Sonic Tap channels. I only subscribed to Starz Super Pack for the Encore channels anyway, so having the Starz channels didn't do much for me anyways. So, even after the HD Access and DVR being separate fees, now my bill is back down to where it was before the price increases, so I'm happy. Thanks DirecTV :)

#47 OFFLINE   cariera

cariera

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 09:31 AM

Actually, Sundance would be included with the Starz package as well.

The Sundance Channel is in the Showtime package, not Starz:

https://www.directv....emiums/showtime

https://www.directv....ooternavtype=-1

#48 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 9,064 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 01:14 PM

The Sundance Channel is in the Showtime package, not Starz:

https://www.directv....emiums/showtime

https://www.directv....ooternavtype=-1

In the past, any time I've ever subscribed to a premium movie package (like HBO), Sundance was always added at the same time. It's been a while (a couple of years) since I subscribed to the movie packages... perhaps they changed this?

~Alan

#49 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,474 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 11 February 2010 - 02:48 PM

Ripoff? How about the measly Cinemax channels at what they are charging. Thanks but no thanks. Most places bundle HBO and Cinemax. Not Directv.

Thats partially true. If you call them today and ask they can give you HBO and MAX in a 2 for 1 deal for 3 months lol. I know its only 3 months but if you want it call and ask for it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...