Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ESPN HD

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hdthebest

hdthebest

Godfather

• Registered
  • 328 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 02:50 PM

Okay time to vent...I have a 2007 Samsung LED DLP and I know it's not my TV since 99% of the HD channels I have is great in pq...but ESPN HD 206 is crap, I am trying to see if this is D* issue( which I doubt) or this is ESPN's antique equipment that is the cause...trying to get feedback to see if I need glasses or ESPN's pq sucks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:05 PM

Okay time to vent...I have a 2007 Samsung LED DLP and I know it's not my TV since 99% of the HD channels I have is great in pq...but ESPN HD 206 is crap, I am trying to see if this is D* issue( which I doubt) or this is ESPN's antique equipment that is the cause...trying to get feedback to see if I need glasses or ESPN's pq sucks.

Can you be more specific? Is this a problem with all programs or did you notice it during a particular broadcast?

#3 OFFLINE   raoul5788

raoul5788

• Registered
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:15 PM

Can you be more specific? Is this a problem with all programs or did you notice it during a particular broadcast?

If I had to rank all of the hd channels, ESPN would come out somewhere near the bottom. Maybe you have to lower your expectations! ;)

#4 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:17 PM

Their PQ is spotty at best and even when it is good they manage to leave that damn ticker on the bottom the screen and ruin it. I am even more disappointed in their use of the fake Circle Surround.

#5 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:31 PM

Their PQ is spotty at best and even when it is good they manage to leave that damn ticker on the bottom the screen and ruin it. I am even more disappointed in their use of the fake Circle Surround.

I hate tickers on any channels. I especially hate it when they squish the picture upward to show the ticker rather than just overlay it. Networks really need to come up with a less intrusive way to show scores from other games.

#6 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:43 PM

I hate tickers on any channels. I especially hate it when they squish the picture upward to show the ticker rather than just overlay it. Networks really need to come up with a less intrusive way to show scores from other games.

Well, at least ESPN doesn't distort the picture to show their ticker. They simply shrink it and maintain the aspect ratio with the ticker running underneath.

All of my major locals (ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX) have local HD newscasts. Only one of them (WISHTV-CBS) runs a ticker for weather closings or weather alerts and squishes the picture. All of the others either do it like ESPN by shrinking the picture to run unmolested above the ticker or they use the overlay method. The engineer for that station is a moron and doesn't understand why people are upset over it. His name is Tom Weber in case he reads this. :D

#7 OFFLINE   hdthebest

hdthebest

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 328 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:36 PM

Thanks for your posts I guess my expections get HIGH when watching HIGH definition programming, it just seems foolish to be the #1 station for sports and yet there HD is passable for viewing at best..and to answer the question what programming all NBA games

spam firewall