Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HBO comparison Directv vs Dish

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mark Walters

Mark Walters

Legend

• Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:26 PM

Let me see if I understand this:

DIRECTV has HBO HD East & West, HBO2 East & West, HBO Signature, & HBO Family East & West = 7 channels.
Although not counting the duplicate feeds, this is four different HBO channels and only ONE in HD. DIRECTV DOES NOT HAVE HBO ON DEMAND.
Total monthly price - $14.99

DISH has HBO HD East & West, HBO2 HD East feed - SD West feed, HBO Signature HD, HBO Family HD, HBO Comedy HD, & HBO ZONE HD = 8 channels.
Although not counting the duplicate feeds, this is six different HBO channels and SIX in HD. DISH DOES HAVE HBO ON DEMAND.
Total monthly price - $15.99

I did not include HBO Latino in this discussion. For the record, both companies provide HBO LATINO, but only DISH has it in HD.

Please correct me if my research is incorrect. I think everybody would agree if these figures are correct that D* has a horrible HBO offering. For $1.00 more, I would get 5 more HD channels. I would also get HBO Comedy, ZONE & HBO ON DEMAND.

Will this ever be corrected? Does anybody even care or feel they are not getting much value for $14.99? :nono2:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:28 PM

DIRECTV has HBO HD East & West, HBO2 East & West, HBO Signature, & HBO Family East & West = 7 channels.
Although not counting the duplicate feeds, this is four different HBO channels and only ONE in HD. DIRECTV DOES NOT HAVE HBO ON DEMAND.

DISH has HBO HD East & West, HBO2 HD East feed - SD West feed, HBO Signature HD, HBO Family HD, HBO Comedy HD, & HBO ZONE HD = 8 channels.
Although not counting the duplicate feeds, this is six different HBO channels and SIX in HD. DISH DOES HAVE HBO ON DEMAND.

I did not include HBO Latino in this discussion. For the record, both companies provide HBO LATINO, but only DISH has it in HD.

Please correct me if my research is incorrect. I think everybody would agree if these figures are correct that D* has a horrible HBO offering. For $1.00 more, I would get 5 more HD channels. I would also get HBO Comedy, ZONE & HBO ON DEMAND.

Will this ever be corrected? Does anybody even care or feel they are not getting much value for $14.99? :nono2:

That's why I get Starz for my movie channel option...

Edit: Uh.....666 posts? Hmmm...

Edited by Justin23, 11 February 2010 - 07:29 PM.
Mark of the Beast...

#3 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,649 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:35 PM

Will this ever be corrected? Does anybody even care or feel they are not getting much value for $14.99?

Since HBO doesnt do OAR no i dont care.

#4 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:51 PM

It doesn't really matter. The additional channels show the same content as the ones we have now...just at different times.

#5 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,596 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:18 PM

I agree, it is a BS that we only get the main HBO in HD. What really pisses me off is they promised the rest in HD by September 2007. I called the office of the president about it last spring and the robot refused to acknowledge the press release and said some BS about the signals are unavailable to them, whatever that means.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

DirecTV Press Release July 13, 2007 DIRECTV to Offer 11 HBO/Cinemax Channels in HD

Whats really bad is there's 8 Max's (not counting west feeds), and we only get 2 (1 HD not counting west).

I guess you could say D* signed up for the "limited basic package" when it came to HBO and Max :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Edited by Coca Cola Kid, 11 February 2010 - 08:29 PM.

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

#6 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,596 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:22 PM

It doesn't really matter. The additional channels show the same content as the ones we have now...just at different times.

If I haven't seen it, its new to me. With these crappy DVR's that can only record 2 shows at once, I like having ample chances to tape a show or movie. Way better than basic cable channels/OTA networks that show it once or twice and if it overlaps with 2 other shows you're screwed. I guess on demand solves this though that's why they keep adding more and more.

Edited by Coca Cola Kid, 11 February 2010 - 08:28 PM.

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

#7 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:30 PM

If I haven't seen it, its new to me. With these crappy DVR's that can only record 2 shows at once, I like having ample chances to tape a show or movie. Way better than basic cable channels/OTA networks that show it once or twice and if it overlaps with 2 other shows you're screwed.

If space is absolutely not a problem...I will take all of these.

If space is limited...I will consider these similar enough to duplicates and pass on them.

Of course the other issue is do paying same price for them as others, but receiving less in return.

#8 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,596 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:33 PM

If space is absolutely not a problem...I will take all of these.

If space is limited...I will consider these similar enough to duplicates and pass on them.

Of course the other issue is do paying same price for them as others, but receiving less in return.

Well hopefully space won't be a problem when D12 is live so maybe they will finally follow through on their promise from 3 years ago.

DIRECTV customer

#9 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,026 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:45 PM

How many chances do you need to record the same movies over & over?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#10 OFFLINE   Mark Walters

Mark Walters

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 09:04 PM

How many chances do you need to record the same movies over & over?

HBO Comedy is different from the others. Lots of stand up specials you won't find anywhere else.

#11 OFFLINE   shaun-ohio

shaun-ohio

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts
  • Locationzanesville ohio

Posted 11 February 2010 - 09:20 PM

mabey its because timewarner owns hbo and wont let dtv have video on demand

#12 OFFLINE   Steveknj

Steveknj

Icon

• Registered
  • 923 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:33 AM

mabey its because timewarner owns hbo and wont let dtv have video on demand

I thought about that, but they let DISH have it.

I've always said, if your a movie buff, you're better off going to DISH, if your a sports fan, DirecTV is better (although I have a few beefs with them on some sports issues too).

#13 OFFLINE   man_rob

man_rob

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 08:53 AM

There appears to be a rift between HBO & DirecTV. DirecTV announced nearly three years ago that they would deliver in HD all of the HBO/Cinemax channels that they currently carry in SD, and have yet to make good on that statement.

#14 OFFLINE   paragon

paragon

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:12 AM

I hate to be the one to say that the current state of HBO on D* doesn't bother me (because I am always one to want more HD), but I only subscribe to HBO for the original programming. I can get all of the first run original programming in HD from just the main HBO channel. It would be nice if we had On Demand for older programming and movies, but that is probably the only added service I *might* use. I can get all of that stuff from Netflix.

#15 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 785 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 05:05 PM

It would help if Directv for HBO Signature in HD. They do not show Rome and some other shows on regular HBO.
If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

#16 OFFLINE   iamqnow

iamqnow

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 05:18 PM

I only keep HBO to be able to watch True Blood. And of course it's not back on yet. Otherwise I would drop it. Not worth it, they duplicate way more than the other guys and our HD offerings with them are pitiful.

#17 OFFLINE   iamqnow

iamqnow

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 05:26 PM

It would help if Directv for HBO Signature in HD. They do not show Rome and some other shows on regular HBO.

Araxen (If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching! ) Amen. What drives me crazy (everything actually) is that we have 4 HD boxes and 4 HD/TV's and family members will record and watch sd movies when HD versions are available!!

#18 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 05:31 PM

The lack of HD, along with the recent price increases, prompted me to switch from Premium to Choice +/HD/DVR with Starz/Showtime 2 for 1 offer. It's not that I can't afford it, I just strongly feel that HBO/Max is highly overpriced for the offering. I also lament the press release from several years back. I really looked forward to having a complete HBO/Max package.

#19 OFFLINE   hdthebest

hdthebest

Godfather

• Registered
  • 328 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 05:37 PM

Lately all we have been hearing is issues with D* and channel providers...What gives? Is D* in that bad a shape to save money?

#20 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 785 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 05:40 PM

Lately all we have been hearing is issues with D* and channel providers...What gives? Is D* in that bad a shape to save money?

They've turned into Charlie v2.0 beta.
If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

Protected By... spam firewall...And...