Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HBO comparison Directv vs Dish

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,612 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:12 AM

Hey.. BE CAREFUL here..

watch out..

because if you say something bad about Directv in any way, shape or form,, the Directv defenders are going to RUSH IN.. and save the world from your "misstatements"...

that you can't say something bad about Directv.. because on this forum, we all know that Directv is perfect in every way..

its the PERFECT COMPANY at all times.. they never lie, or give poor information.. their ads are 100% accurate at all times. and you always get what you pay for.. and if you don't ITS YOUR FAULT..

so be Careful..

they are watching you ..

Post an example of someone saying that. Please take your time and feel free to finish your tantrum first.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:57 AM

Hey.. BE CAREFUL here..

watch out..

because if you say something bad about Directv in any way, shape or form,, the Directv defenders are going to RUSH IN.. and save the world from your "misstatements"...

that you can't say something bad about Directv.. because on this forum, we all know that Directv is perfect in every way..

its the PERFECT COMPANY at all times.. they never lie, or give poor information.. their ads are 100% accurate at all times. and you always get what you pay for.. and if you don't ITS YOUR FAULT..

so be Careful..

they are watching you ..

Nope... not perfect. When DirecTV failed to deliver on promised expansion of premium channel offerings, after a reasonable length of time, I objected in the only way that matters.

I cancelled all premium channel service.

I reinvested that money in a high end Blu Ray player, added Blockbuster to my Netflix subscription to insure I got the titles I wanted to see and am now content.

The difference is I didn't rant on and on about it.

If you don't like what a company is doing.. do something that makes sense. Speak with your wallet. DirecTV lost over $400 annually from me. Did they notice... probably not, but the satisfaction is mine.

Thats the difference between some of us and some of you. We examined our issue and acted accordingly. Was my issue enough to switch providers? No. Was my issue enough to make changes to my account, yes.

I made one post at the time stating simply that as DirecTV had chosen for whatever reason to not upgrade our premium channel package, that I would no longer be a subscriber to that package.

I didn't call anybody a "liar", I didn't impugn the CSR's and I didn't go on and on about it.

Especially as all of that is totally useless and rude.
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#28 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,209 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 19 February 2010 - 11:00 AM

Mr. Flowers...how dare you be logical? ;)
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#29 OFFLINE   davidatl14

davidatl14

Icon

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 12:40 PM

Mr. Flowers...how dare you be logical? ;)

+1
May The Best of Your Past be the Worst of Your Future!

#30 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 01:37 PM

[quote name='MikeW']The lack of HD, along with the recent price increases, prompted me to switch from Premium to Choice +/HD/DVR with Starz/Showtime 2 for 1 offer. It's not that I can't afford it, I just strongly feel that HBO/Max is highly overpriced for the offering. I also lament the press release from several years back. I really looked forward to having a complete HBO/Max package.[/QUOU

Dish has added two new premium channels from STARZ: RETROPLEXHD and INDIEPLEXHD Both plays movies from the 40's through the 80's. Good!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#31 OFFLINE   gregjones

gregjones

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:53 PM

No, we just get disappointed when people do not accept responsibility for their own actions. If you allow DirecTV, in your opinion, to charge too high a price, it is your own fault.

I have not considered HBO a value under any service for a pretty long time. Therefore, I do not subscribe. I am not arguing that DirecTV has failed but that HBO is working under a paradigm that no longer fits my definition of value.

There are lots of choices in providers and content out there. If you are not happy with the one you have, you have nobody but yourself to blame.

#32 OFFLINE   cdbcorn

cdbcorn

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 08:18 PM

In response to the original post, I dropped HBO last year because of its limited HD offerings and lack of On Demand. It wasn't worth $15 a month. Instead, I signed up for Netflix. I miss out on a couple of series on HBO, but True Blood and Curb Your Enthusiasm weren't worth $15 a month.

#33 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 968 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:57 PM

verizon fios carries all 14 HBO channels FYI.

#34 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,621 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 21 February 2010 - 11:08 PM

verizon fios carries all 14 HBO channels FYI.

yeah but its available in less than half of the country.

most people don't consider west coast feeds separate channels either so technically they have 7 channels.

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

#35 OFFLINE   canesice

canesice

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 11:43 PM

uverse in my area (Raleigh, NC) has all 14 HBO also, all in HD...

#36 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,370 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 22 February 2010 - 01:56 PM

most people don't consider west coast feeds separate channels either so technically they have 7 channels.

Depends on whether you record movies to watch at your leisure or prefer watching the movies at the time they are broadcast -- wanted to say "live" but that's not appropriate for movies.

Bill
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#37 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,621 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 22 February 2010 - 02:29 PM

How many chances do you need to record the same movies over & over?

Well how many chances do you need to record the same episode of SportsCenter over and over? or NFL Total Access? or Hot Stove? Or NBA Gametime? or NHL on the Fly? Every channel repeats their programming tenfold, no reason to single out premiums.

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

#38 OFFLINE   davidatl14

davidatl14

Icon

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 02:41 PM

Well how many chances do you need to record the same episode of SportsCenter over and over? or NFL Total Access? or Hot Stove? Or NBA Gametime? or NHL on the Fly? Every channel repeats their programming tenfold, no reason to single out premiums.

Big difference. All the sports related programs mentioned above are unique to that day and a new one becomes relevant the following day.

The HBO showing ad nauseaum of Christmas Vacation needs to only be DVR'ed one time off one channel and can be viewed at any point afterward.

If D wanted to make good use of their bandwidth they would have one feed of each premium movie service.

Linear Movie Channels are a dying relic. Far too many avenues to watch movies long before they hit HBO and the like.

The original programming series are the only thngs that keep HBO and Showtime relevant today anyway.
May The Best of Your Past be the Worst of Your Future!

#39 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,612 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 02:43 PM

It see it as being different. Those channels replay their programming on the same channel. The premiums replay their programming across multiple channels.

I only need one or maybe two HBO's. The other several are just more of the same. I'm get that people want them and that is fine, but to me it is just more of the same. ESPN and ESPN2 don't show the same programming...with few exceptions. I would not like it if we had something like ESPN1, ESPN2, ESPN3, ESPN4, ESPN5, ESPN6, ESPN7, and ESPN8 all showing the same shows at different times...all eating up bandwidth. As it is now the various ESPN networks are actually different varieties. HBO acts as if their different networks are different varieties, but I just don't see it.

I really only have one issue and I'll use HBO as an example. Dish Network has 8 HD HBO's...we have 2. We only pay $1 less as subscribers for HBO. I wouldn't mind paying as much as they do if were getting as many HBO's, but we aren't. I wish we paid less...for less channels.

Of course we have other issues with HBO and the strangle hold they have over their content. It must be ungodly expensive for providers. I am sure their agreements are among the trickiest out there.

#40 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,117 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 03:07 PM

Actually if you really pay attention there are many movies on the other HBO channels that are not on the main HBO channel at all. That is why I really wish we would get them all in HD. I don't know how many times I see a movie airing on HBO Family, or Signature and then look at the upcoming showings to see if it's ever going to be shown in HD only to be disappointed.

Now I do agree with your argument as far as the East and West feeds go. It really isn't needed anymore to have East and West feeds when the only difference is something is aired 3 hours later, especially considering how often the programming is repeated on the same channel already, and how popular DVRs have become. I would much rather have HBO Family or Signature in HD instead of HBO West. Heck even HBO2 has a little different line-up (although not as different as the others).

#41 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 06:36 AM

If D wanted to make good use of their bandwidth they would have one feed of each premium movie service.

Linear Movie Channels are a dying relic. Far too many avenues to watch movies long before they hit HBO and the like.

The original programming series are the only thngs that keep HBO and Showtime relevant today anyway.

Movies are all I watch. If I had the time I would watch three to five movies a day. The prospect of obtaining them any other way than by pushing "record" on the DVR is daunting. I see no means more convenient than scanning the guide and recording them.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

Protected By... spam firewall...And...