Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2010 NFL ST includes HD w/o SF?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:16 PM

My team won the Super Bowl the one year I watched games in SD

I am never switching again

I am THAT superstitious

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   scoop8

scoop8

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted 13 February 2010 - 06:04 AM

Since I didn't have HD this year (apartment building has older mdu dish)....I had ST without HD and it was fine.

I just may do it again this year.

Saved me money

It really isnt the end of the world like some think

I guess it's a situation of "SD is in the eye of the beholder" :lol:

I'm guessing that it's mainly related to the type of TV that you're watching the games. Since I have a flt pnl HD TV, Sd games are a no-no with ST.

For me, I can watch my old TV/DVD's all day in 1.33:1 on my TV but I'm watching them thru a SD upconvert DVD player. I guess that takes the "SD sting" out of my viewing for my DVD's.

As for games, NFL, college football, NHL, MLB, this is where, for me, the difference in SD and HD is light-years apart.

ST was the reason that I waited until Aug '08 to enter the HD TV mkt and that's when I upgraded my DTV to HD. That was the 1st season that all of the ST games were available in HD.
DirecTV Subs since '99 - Currently out of contract
Prog Svc: DTV Premier Pkg, NFL ST, MLB EI, CI
Dish: Slimline 5LNB
Receivers: HD-DVR HR22-100, HD H23-600
Display: PANNY Plasma TH50PZ85U
DVD Player: Std Upconvert Region-Free Pioneer DV-400V

#23 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 07:07 AM

Since I didn't have HD this year (apartment building has older mdu dish)....I had ST without HD and it was fine.

I just may do it again this year.

Saved me money

It really isnt the end of the world like some think

It's HD or nothing here -- no way I would pay for SD Sunday Ticket at the current price. If I wasn't going to watch the games in HD, I would just listen on satellite radio to supplement the local & national games.

In fact, I'm considering doing just that.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#24 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:02 PM

It's HD or nothing here -- no way I would pay for SD Sunday Ticket at the current price. If I wasn't going to watch the games in HD, I would just listen on satellite radio to supplement the local & national games.

In fact, I'm considering doing just that.

I would be willing to bet that if the situation came up where you either had SD or radio....you would go with SD

Seriously people....the world didn't end.

I got to see the game just fine. :lol:

I am COMPLETELY with you all though on needing HD....I can NOT watch Golf in SD....always HD

So I understand.....

#25 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:45 AM

I would be willing to bet that if the situation came up where you either had SD or radio....you would go with SD

If the costs were the same, sure. But they're vastly different, and I can get a lot of HD football for free -- including typically 50% of more of the out-of-market team that I follow. So the cost-benefit of Sunday Ticket is definitely an issue that I am thinking about more seriously these days.

(I say this as someone who has purchased Sunday Ticket every year since it became available on C-band, but who is not among the majority whose favorite sport is NFL football.)

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#26 OFFLINE   Boston_bill

Boston_bill

Icon

• Registered
  • 631 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:58 AM

FWIW I just spoke to an agent who said she has no pricing available for 2010 ST yet

#27 OFFLINE   psunate77

psunate77

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 10:26 AM

I just called and cancelled.. Before I cancelled I asked for a deal and CSR said they were told deals would be harder to come by this year.

#28 OFFLINE   Boston_bill

Boston_bill

Icon

• Registered
  • 631 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 10:30 AM

I just called and cancelled.. Before I cancelled I asked for a deal and CSR said they were told deals would be harder to come by this year.

I was told the opposite that they'd be "willing to work" with loyal customers.
Im not about to cancel. Ill decide in August.

#29 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 05:17 AM

Directv should stop selling it to individuals & just sell it to bars, clubs etc.
At least then we wouldnt have to hear the bitch & moan fest about the $$ every year.

Instead, we'd hear a bitch and moan fest about how people would be willing to pay whatever DirecTV wanted, but DirecTV won't let them have it. The bitching and moaning won't stop, if you don't want to hear it, don't read the threads.

#30 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,640 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:27 AM

Instead, we'd hear a bitch and moan fest about how people would be willing to pay whatever DirecTV wanted, but DirecTV won't let them have it. The bitching and moaning won't stop, if you don't want to hear it, don't read the threads.

It still wouldnt be complaining about the price....it would be more like the complaining about not getting versus hd.

Also you wouldnt get the "ST is the only reason i kept directv" reasons anymore.

Also directv would then offer the NFLN redzone channel.

The pros (pun) still outweight the cons.

#31 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:42 AM

It still wouldnt be complaining about the price....it would be more like the complaining about not getting versus hd.

Also you wouldnt get the "ST is the only reason i kept directv" reasons anymore.

Also directv would then offer the NFLN redzone channel.

The pros (pun) still outweight the cons.

Approx 2 million NFL ST subs....almost 19 million D* subs...

So even if the 2 million left, D* still would have about 17 million subs...still more than E*.

#32 OFFLINE   mluntz

mluntz

Icon

• Registered
  • 641 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 11:31 AM

I'm willing to bet that at least 80% of the people that bitch and moan about the price will still end up getting it. Just the way it is, and D* knows it!
DirecTV Customer since 1995
Directv/ HD-DVR HR20-700
Directv/ HD-DVR HR24-500 (2)
H24-700
Slimline 5 Dish
Premiere package holder
NFL Sunday Ticket Subscriber

#33 OFFLINE   BuffaloDenny

BuffaloDenny

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 03:05 PM

I'm willing to bet that at least 80% of the people that bitch and moan about the price will still end up getting it. Just the way it is, and D* knows it!

Yeah, we'll get it with one of the annual deals they offer, making the price more reasonable.
HR20-100S/Seagate
H20-100
Panasonic TH-58PZ800U Plasma
Pioneer Elite AVR SC-05
Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
Sony PS3 Blu-Ray

#34 OFFLINE   Igmond

Igmond

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 03:20 PM

I cancelled my auto-renew after the season, it's just too expensive and I get to see 6-8 games of my team anyways. I'm going with the (audio) NFL Field pass for $35. I know it's not the same but it's 10% of the cost.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...