Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

R15 300 hard drive swap/ghost/save!!!!

mythtv

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mike Holderfield

Mike Holderfield

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:33 AM

A week ago my system started to reset to default settings. I managed to stop it before it reformatted the hard drive and losing all my data. However, now when I start the system, it tries to continue the task. I have since removed the drive in hopes of saving the data. I have replaced the drive with a pc drive but it did not work once the reformatting completed, it just loops back to the formatting step. I saw an earlier thread from Carl6 that talked about "ghosting" and thought this might be a solution to my problem. I would like more information about how to save my stuff. Thanks.

Edited by Mike Holderfield, 12 February 2010 - 08:18 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,148 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:58 AM

If the DVR is not working with a new drive in it, then it may have some other problem (drive controller for example).

As to cloning the drive, I was able to do so using a unix dd copy. It took a long time, but it worked. There have been posts with other procedures for copying the drive, but all essentially involve a sector by sector copy (as opposed to a file copy), and may not succeed if the source drive is bad.

Check in the HD receiver forum for threads about replacing/upgrading the hard drive. The basic procedure is the same, and there is a lot of information there.

#3 OFFLINE   Mike Holderfield

Mike Holderfield

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 01:03 PM

Carl, thank you for the info. This really is important due to the data in the disk. Would you consider contacting me via email to discuss further? - Thanks.

Edited by Mike Holderfield, 13 February 2010 - 03:57 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 12 February 2010 - 01:06 PM

Dont forget there's a good chance that if the drive is already bad, you wont be able to copy it anyway. Too often people want to back up a drive that has already failed....thats why DVR's are not meant to be permanent storage or archiving of anything important.

#5 OFFLINE   Mike Holderfield

Mike Holderfield

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:52 PM

No problem with the drive, just a screwup on my part that I am trying to salvage. Thanks for the heads-up however.

#6 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,148 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 12 February 2010 - 05:30 PM

Mike,
I don't object to contacting you directly, however I'm not sure that I can offer you any more information than you have already found, or can easily find, in these forums. I did this once, about 3 years ago, with a good R15 drive just to test. I've never tried to recover from a problem dvr or failing drive.

If the DVR is the problem (possible based on your symptoms), there is no recovery. The drive (or a copy of it) will not give you access to the recordings in a different DVR.

These two threads have way more information than I would be able to provide. Take a look at them if you have not already done so.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=148760
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=167440

If that doesn't help and you have some specific question you don't want to post openly, then go ahead and send me a PM through dbstalk.

Carl

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,969 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 12 February 2010 - 05:52 PM

He probably don't aware of standard IT rule - check the disk first, then try to recover data.

#8 OFFLINE   Mike Holderfield

Mike Holderfield

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:43 PM

No, I'm afraid it's much worse than that! I am a software guy who knows enough about hardware IT to get me this deep in trouble. Thanks guys, I will keep reading and following your suggestions until something clicks!

#9 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,969 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:15 PM

Anyway, start from MHDD tests. Download ISO, burn CD, connect only the drive to PC and boot from the CD.

#10 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:25 PM

And mask your e-mail address so that it is not milled by spambots...

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mythtv

Protected By... spam firewall...And...