Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DBSTalk Exclusive First Look: HR24-500 DVR (and H24-100 Receiver)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
934 replies to this topic

#881 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 477 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:11 PM

Mine was hooked up with a multiple splitter outside and extra power inserter inside (pick posted above), plugs directly into the receiver.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#882 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:36 PM

Mine was hooked up with a multiple splitter outside and extra power inserter inside (pick posted above), plugs directly into the receiver.

The SWiM needs a PI and it sounds like yours was mounted/connected near your receiver and then the receiver was connected to the PI output to feed the SAT signal to the receiver.
The receivers need no PI to work.
A.K.A VOS

#883 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 477 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:06 PM

Appreciate the help. So I'm thinking that's the only PI I would need on the system. The splitter outside has 6 or 8 outlets.

#884 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:27 PM

Appreciate the help. So I'm thinking that's the only PI I would need on the system. The splitter outside has 6 or 8 outlets.

I came in late, so don't know if you're also asking about DECAs too, but they need one PI for the DECA to router bridge.
A.K.A VOS

#885 OFFLINE   Skram0

Skram0

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 11:16 PM

So, has anyone verified if you can specify an HR24 if you upgrade your service to HD DVR? I currently have a series 1 dtivo, and I'm thinking now is the time to upgrade with the speed that the HR24 has to offer. Exactly what I'm looking for in a DVR. Smoke circles around my old series 1. :hurah:

#886 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:23 AM

So, has anyone verified if you can specify an HR24 if you upgrade your service to HD DVR? I currently have a series 1 dtivo, and I'm thinking now is the time to upgrade with the speed that the HR24 has to offer. Exactly what I'm looking for in a DVR. Smoke circles around my old series 1. :hurah:

No you can nost specify a specific model. Any CSR that tells you otherwise is misinformed. It will be whatever the tech has available to him at the time.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#887 OFFLINE   ps2baseball

ps2baseball

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:42 AM

I called them and was about to order. The CSR not only told me the 24 "was Tivo" but said the Dish would be losing DVR service soon due to a court ruling! Classic!

#888 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:56 AM

Are you sure you didn't call 1-800-Dishnetwork? :lol:
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#889 OFFLINE   Mr. Big

Mr. Big

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:47 AM

A couple quick questions... can the blue ring be turned off like on the other HR2x boxes?
and how about the other smaller blue rings as well as the DirecTv logo, are they always on? Or doesn't it distract during viewing?

Has this ever been answered? The blue lights are really distracting to me seeing that my unit sits right below my TV screen.

#890 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:55 AM

Has this ever been answered? The blue lights are really distracting to me seeing that my unit sits right below my TV screen.

Yes the same way, but since it isn't anywhere near as bright, I don't because the power/DirecTV logo light is much brighter.
A.K.A VOS

#891 OFFLINE   Baconbeard

Baconbeard

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:08 AM

So if I want to upgrade and enjoy multi-room viewing with Deca, what do I need to do? I currently have the beta version set up wirelessly, but it does not work that well.

I currently have 2 HR20-700's and the 5 LNB Dish. Since the HR24 has built in Deca, do I simply just swap out the receivers, and that's all there is to it? Or is there any other equipment I need?

#892 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:12 AM

So if I want to upgrade and enjoy multi-room viewing with Deca, what do I need to do? I currently have the beta version set up wirelessly, but it does not work that well.

I currently have 2 HR20-700's and the 5 LNB Dish. Since the HR24 has built in Deca, do I simply just swap out the receivers, and that's all there is to it? Or is there any other equipment I need?

The upgrade package may be the best/cheapest option.
You need a SWiM system.
You can add DECAs to each of your receivers and another one to connect to your home network.
A.K.A VOS

#893 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,986 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:13 AM

Your 5LNB dish needs to be changed out to a SWiM LNB and your HR20-700's would get a DECA adapter for each. There is no need to swap out your HR20's just to get DECA. If you also want internet connectivity then you'll need a DECA adapter to interconnect to your ethernet network.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#894 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,859 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:15 AM

DECA requires SWiM to work for MRV, so you would an SWiM module (SWM8, SWM-LNB, etc).

Next you would need DECA adapters for the HR20s, and a Band Stop Filter. Then you’d have a DECA/MRV network. To access the internet you’d need to add an DECA to Broadband adapter.

What’s wrong with our existing MRV. I have MRV over Ethernet and it works great. Wireless?

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#895 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,986 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:18 AM

Next you would need DECA adapters for the HR20s, and a Band Stop Filter.

Band Stop Filters would be necessary only if the SWiMLNB or SWiM8/16 didn't have a green label on them (which I would hope they all would by now for a new install).

#896 OFFLINE   Baconbeard

Baconbeard

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:18 AM

Thanks for all the quick responses guys. Do I simply just call Directv and tell them I want to upgrade to the Whole-Home DVR service, and they will come out and install the new dish, deca, adapters, etc.?

According to my account online, I am "not eligible for this product."

#897 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,986 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:19 AM

Thanks for all the quick responses guys. Do I simply just call Directv and tell them I want to upgrade to the Whole-Home DVR service, and they will come out and install the new dish, deca, adapters, etc.?

According to my account online, I am "not eligible for this product."

Yep, that's how it's supposed to work. They'll want to charge a credit card the $99 for hardware and $49 for install (unless you can talk them into a deal) at the time of the order.

#898 OFFLINE   Baconbeard

Baconbeard

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:31 AM

DECA requires SWiM to work for MRV, so you would an SWiM module (SWM8, SWM-LNB, etc).

Next you would need DECA adapters for the HR20s, and a Band Stop Filter. Then you’d have a DECA/MRV network. To access the internet you’d need to add an DECA to Broadband adapter.

What’s wrong with our existing MRV. I have MRV over Ethernet and it works great. Wireless?

Mike

Yeah, I have it set up wireless right now, so it doesn't work very well. It is about a 50/50 shot to even get something to play in the other room, and if I do get it to play, I can't use any trick play, or it just shuts down.

Doing a wired connection would be very difficult with my setup, so I think Deca is the way to go for me.

#899 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:35 AM

... can the blue ring be turned off like on the other HR2x boxes? and how about the other smaller blue rings as well as the DirecTv logo, are they always on? Or doesn't it distract during viewing?

Yes, the same way, but since it isn't anywhere near as bright, I don't because the power/DirecTV logo light is much brighter.

So. Yet another design mistake.

And I suppose the remote still makes you hold down a key 3 seconds before it repeats?

Edited by Syzygy, 20 May 2010 - 11:47 AM.

Frank TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
HR24-100 > HDMI > Pio 5020FD plasma
HR24-100 > HDMI > Sony KV30HS420 tube

DirecTV & Dish HD Channel Spreadsheet
DirecTV & Dish HD Channels Listed by Package

#900 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,859 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:52 AM

So. Yet another design mistake.

And I suppose the remote still makes you hold down a key 3 seconds before it repeats?

I'm sorry, what's the design mistake? :confused:

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

spam firewall