Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Olympic luger killed in crash

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 04:40 PM

Very sad news.

http://www.nbcolympi...epage&GT1=39003

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,665 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 12 February 2010 - 04:45 PM

A sad way to start the olympics indeed. : (

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#3 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 04:51 PM

That's just terrible. I sure didnt want to see the Olympics start out this way.

#4 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,317 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 12 February 2010 - 05:26 PM

Thank you for putting the subject in the thread title.

R.I.P.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 12 February 2010 - 06:10 PM

I also heard on ESPN earlier that some other Lugers had already been complaining that they thought the course was unsafe. I hope that we don't find out this was something that could have been avoided if someone had heeded earlier warnings. That would be truly sad on top of tragic.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#6 ONLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,888 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 06:12 PM

I also heard on ESPN earlier that some other Lugers had already been complaining that they thought the course was unsafe. I hope that we don't find out this was something that could have been avoided if someone had heeded earlier warnings. That would be truly sad on top of tragic.

I heard the same thing earlier, very sad.

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,326 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 February 2010 - 06:15 PM

It does seem they're pushing it too far. You've basically got a human torpedo travelling now at 90+ mph with just a helmet and rubber suit.

It is a tragedy.

#8 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,523 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 12 February 2010 - 06:28 PM

It appears that the extreme nature of performances in the 2010 Olympics along with weather problems could combine for a lot of injuries up there. I hope that they can get it all together safely after this sad occurrence.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#9 OFFLINE   Mustang Dave

Mustang Dave

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 06:36 PM

The video made me sick to my stomach. Really unfortunate this happened.

#10 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 06:38 PM

The video made me sick to my stomach. Really unfortunate this happened.

+1

Very sad!

RIP

#11 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:22 PM

If they cant see that having an entire row of steel poles at the bottom of a 90 mph run, with only a 3 foot high ice wall between the track and the poles is unsafe, they seriously need to consider canceling events on that run until it can be made safe.

#12 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,317 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:39 PM

I saw where IOC officials are considering moving the starting gate forward to reduce terminal speeds. The idea of having unpadded steel poles at the end of the chute right after the last curve seems unbelievably stupid.

The video of the accident was sickening. It should not have been released.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#13 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,037 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:48 PM

They just had a moment of silence for the Georgian luger killed today...during the end part of the opening ceremony....very sad.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#14 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 12:12 AM

I saw where IOC officials are considering moving the starting gate forward to reduce terminal speeds. The idea of having unpadded steel poles at the end of the chute right after the last curve seems unbelievably stupid.

The video of the accident was sickening. It should not have been released.

I agree with you. But far more disturbing to me are some of the still photos that can be found on the internet.

Closeups of the safety crews working, etc. It's disgusting that anyone would have the poor taste to make such images & videos available.

I'm still watching the Opening Ceremonies unfold, but it was nice to see the reception that the Georgian team received on their entrance to the stadium.
"There's a statistical theory that if you gave a million monkey's typewriters and set them to work, they'd eventually come up with the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Internet, we now know this isn't true" -Ian Hart

#15 OFFLINE   WERA689

WERA689

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,695 posts
  • LocationCanton, GA

Posted 13 February 2010 - 12:31 AM

That was a truly heartbreaking event. My heart goes out to the Georgian team and to his family.
And I hope the IOC sees fit to make some changes to that course ASAP!

link to my system specs: http://www.dbstalk.c...d/#entry3298344

My wonderful cat, Kawie, passed away on 11/23/08. He had a remarkable soul, and I miss him deeply. Thank you, my buddy, for sharing your life with me.

#16 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:40 AM

In the interest of truth and historical/scientific interests I understand why video and pictures exist... and they should, to be studied and hopefully learn something that will prevent this kind of thing from happening again.

But I agree, I don't want to see them... and I don't know why so many people apparently do like to see such things, that prompts some Web sites or news agencies to release/post them for all to see.

Meanwhile... I also heard more later that said there had been at least a dozen earlier accidents on that Luge run, to go along with all the safety complaints... so it sounds very much like there could have been much more reports of injuries than just this one fatality.

I also heard that practice runs had been canceled while investigation on how to improve safety was going on... I know if I was a fellow Luger, I'd feel very weird going on that run after this.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#17 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 11:03 AM

In the interest of truth and historical/scientific interests I understand why video and pictures exist... and they should, to be studied and hopefully learn something that will prevent this kind of thing from happening again.

But I agree, I don't want to see them... and I don't know why so many people apparently do like to see such things, that prompts some Web sites or news agencies to release/post them for all to see.

Meanwhile... I also heard more later that said there had been at least a dozen earlier accidents on that Luge run, to go along with all the safety complaints... so it sounds very much like there could have been much more reports of injuries than just this one fatality.

I also heard that practice runs had been canceled while investigation on how to improve safety was going on... I know if I was a fellow Luger, I'd feel very weird going on that run after this.

I agree 100%. The videos and photos can certainly be used by the 'powers that be' to break down exactly what happened and how to prevent it in the future.

I find it distasteful that those videos and photos are being made public - to people like you and I who will not be involved in using those photos to affect the safety of the competitors at the Olympics. The video may very well have been playing live somewhere, and was "out there" at the time it happened. The other photos I saw were not available live - they were published after the fact. They include graphic closeups of the luger and his injuries and don't need to be floating around for everyone to see.

I know there are people who would make the argument that "if they don't release the photos, then we can't hold them accountable and make sure they fix things." To that I say BS. A man died today. Do we need to see the photos of his death to say to the organizers of the Olympics "You need to make sure this event is safe"?

As to the second part of your post, about the earlier accidents. The luge is a dangerous sport. There are always accidents. The organizers are trying to tread a fine line between good competition and safety. The earlier accidents were, in large part, "par for the course" as far as I can see. Hindsight is always 20/20, and we can look at it now and say they should have done something before...but if every time a luger crashed they changed the course, they'd never get to compete. So I can see where they organizers would have looked at things and thought it was OK to continue.

That end turn @ 90 mph coming into a gauntlet of unpadded steel poles is surely a lapse in judgement... something should have been done to that area to try and protect the competitors, though I'm afraid there might not have been any amount of padding on those steel poles that could have saved the Georgian luger yesterday... When your body turns into a 90mph missile and meets with a hard, immovable object (padding or not), bad things are going to happen...

So... in short.... I give the organizers a little pass for not having made changes to the course. If things don't change now, their pass will be revoked.

Edited by Sharkie_Fan, 13 February 2010 - 11:10 AM.

"There's a statistical theory that if you gave a million monkey's typewriters and set them to work, they'd eventually come up with the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Internet, we now know this isn't true" -Ian Hart

#18 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 04:13 PM

Just to add to this... I was just watching the Olympics and they had a reporter at the luge course.

Changes to the course have been made - speeds today are in the 80+ mph range and not the 90+ mpg range that they were yesterday. The final turn has been modified to give the lugers and easier exit. And, a wall has been built at the bottom of the course, just after that final turn, where the crash occurred.

Sadly, they said that the "official report" of the accident placed zero blame on the course, and said the cause of the accident was "athlete error".

#19 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,317 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 04:23 PM

...the "official report" of the accident placed zero blame on the course, and said the cause of the accident was "athlete error".

Well, that's a crock of pure, unadulterated BS!

Now I know what IOC really stands for: Idiot Olympic Committee. It was the pre-approved design of the luge course, stupid!

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#20 OFFLINE   njblackberry

njblackberry

Icon

• Registered
  • 653 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 05:08 PM

So there is nothing wrong with the course, but they dramatically changed it by moving the starting line forward, and boxing in the unprotected steel poles.

Right.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...