Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

I was told that Universal sports was to be turned on...

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 06:19 PM

I called Directv today.. and I was told UP and DOWN.. that yes, UNIVERSAL SPORTS NETWORK IS SUPPOSED TO BE TURNED ON FOR THE OLYMPICS..

right..

so is the travel channel in hd.. or

we are getting 200 hd channels the day the satellite lights up..

I don't believe it.. and she couldn't, wouldn't tell me a channel..

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 06:24 PM

I called Directv today.. and I was told UP and DOWN.. that yes, UNIVERSAL SPORTS NETWORK IS SUPPOSED TO BE TURNED ON FOR THE OLYMPICS..

right..

No they aren't.

#3 OFFLINE   beachmonkey

beachmonkey

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 06:25 PM

right..

Its another DirecTV lie on their "Gold Standard HD Olympic coverage"

#4 OFFLINE   susanandmark

susanandmark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 06:52 PM

If you'd like Universal Sports on DirecTV write to DirecTV and let them know: http://www.universal...sal_Sports.html

Or see this thread: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=172243

#5 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:06 PM

right..

Mistake #1: asking a CSR for information

Mistake #2: not realizing the confusion between NBC Universal and Universal Sports Network.

Mistake #3: Even with the problems on the DirecTV web site regarding the Olympics at no time was Universal Sports Network listed for Olympic Coverage.

The only 4 channels were NBC, MSNBC, CNBC and USA Network.
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#6 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:15 PM

Mistake #1: asking a CSR for information

Mistake #2: not realizing the confusion between NBC Universal and Universal Sports Network.

Mistake #3: Even with the problems on the DirecTV web site regarding the Olympics at no time was Universal Sports Network listed for Olympic Coverage.

The only 4 channels were NBC, MSNBC, CNBC and USA Network.

You forgot one...

Mistake #4: forgetting that Universal Sports is nothing more than a subchannel.

#7 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:44 PM

I am so sick of being lied to by Directv.. I mean the OUT AND OUT LIES.. today I found out that I am under a long term contract that I didn't know that I was under..

and today.. they sent me to some guy in New Guinea.. or Malaysia.. for an answer.. and as I spoke to him.. I could tell he didn't know crap about Directv..

Finally I said.. DO YOU HAVE THE SERVICE.. ?

uh. no I am in where ever.. halfway around the globe..

Who do you complain to when you have been lied to ?

and why are they telling the CSR 's to lie to us..

its the same with Versus.. I told the guy what the LaTimes has discussed on the negotiations, and he said,, THE NEWSPAPERS ARE LYING..

and Directv is telling you.. meaning me.. the truth..

right..

everyone who believes this STAND ON YOUR HEAD..

#8 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,292 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 12 February 2010 - 08:26 PM

Another mistake. Universal Sports is only available in SOME cities, not all. NBC using a sub-channel that is not on all areas no matter what provider you have is pretty lame. For example, WBAL in Baltimore does not have Universal Sports. You can get it if you have an antenna for Washington or Fios in the right region, but otherwise, SOL.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#9 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 08:39 PM

I am so sick of being lied to by Directv.. I mean the OUT AND OUT LIES.. today I found out that I am under a long term contract that I didn't know that I was under..

and today.. they sent me to some guy in New Guinea.. or Malaysia.. for an answer.. and as I spoke to him.. I could tell he didn't know crap about Directv..

its the same with Versus.. I told the guy what the LaTimes has discussed on the negotiations, and he said,, THE NEWSPAPERS ARE LYING..

right..

The problem with all of you asking CSR's questions about Versus, the Olympics, new HD channels is the simple fact that the CSR's do not know anything that you want to know and asking them these questions is an absolutely futile waste of your time.

bjlc, you should know better, you have been around here long enough to know better.

DirecTV has NEVER in all of its history ever been known for being a wellspring of information about anything. They never say anything about their real negotiating status. They never give CSR's information about upcoming channel additions. Everything you have ever heard out of a CSR's mouth about these things has always proved wrong.

So many of you have gotten all worked up about the rumors of 3 HD channels to be added this past Wednesday and yet not one mention of these channels came from the only 2 reliable sources we have on this forum.. Satelliteracer always gives us several days warning of upcoming channel additions or changes and he has not said anything, and our own Sixto is usually able to give us a heads up when they start playing with the transponders.

Whatever reasons DirecTV has for what it is doing right now, one thing is very certain.. they will never tell you (the collective you not the individual).

If you are unhappy with DirecTV, express it with your wallets, nothing else matters.
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#10 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 08:52 PM

right..

There are no agents in New Guinea or Malaysia.

No one is telling CSRs to lie to anyone.

#11 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:59 AM

are you saying that I am lying about this post.. that I am just making the whole thing up..

do they have a call center in the Phillipean's ?

and is that where you are going?

because I was put to two different people.. One was over seas and then I was transfered to Mississippi..

so are you calling me a liar..

after the CSR's have boldly and blantently lied to me..

is that what you are saying?

just so I am clear..

does your defense of the Rhelm go that far?

I want to know..

#12 OFFLINE   miketorse

miketorse

Icon

• Registered
  • 647 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 11:04 AM

are you saying that I am lying about this post.. that I am just making the whole thing up..

because I was put to two different people.. One was over seas and then I was transfered to Mississippi..

just so I am clear..

I want to know..

Man, you are angry. I think the only two things he was saying was:

There are no agents in New Guinea or Malaysia.

No one is telling CSRs to lie to anyone.

How is that calling you a liar?
Mike

My system:

HR21
HR22 w/ AM21
R15
SWM-8
Slimline5 w/ no LOS to 119 Slimline3

#13 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 938 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 13 February 2010 - 11:06 AM

... Phillipean's ?

Now thats funny:lol:

#14 OFFLINE   susanandmark

susanandmark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 11:10 AM

You forgot one...

Mistake #4: forgetting that Universal Sports is nothing more than a subchannel.

Universal Sports is AVAILABLE as a sub-channel, based on its original WCSN origins, it is not "only" a sub-channel. It's a sports channel that many people would like to be able to see very much, myself included. DirecTV already carries other things that are "just" a sub-channel (e.g. Ion), so what's your complaint?

#15 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 938 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 13 February 2010 - 11:14 AM

Universal Sports is AVAILABLE as a sub-channel, based on its original WCSN origins, it is not "only" a sub-channel. It's a sports channel that many people would like to be able to see very much, myself included. DirecTV already carries other things that are "just" a sub-channel (e.g. Ion), so what's your complaint?

Ditto... Great winter sports programming

#16 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:57 AM

just so I am clear..

I want to know..

Yes they do have a center in the Philippines. That and one in Mexico, the rest are in the U.S. I don't know how or why they told you about a new channel because they don't know.

#17 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 11:21 AM

I still don't understand why anyone would actually call a CSR to get information like this. There isn't a company out there (DirecTV, Dish, cable, FIOS) that has CSRs that know this kind of information. Yes, there are some good CSRs out there, they aren't all clueless. But front line CSRs aren't going to know any future information beyond official press releases and such. You do know that many CSRs actually get their info from forums like this? ;)

Why people continue to not realize this is beyond me. The best source for info on any service is the Internet and in forums like this and AVS. If Universal Sports was actually available it would be front page news on all sites. Why beat yourself up calling a CSR who isn't going to know anything?

As for being lied to, maybe. But why would they do that other then to maybe just get an angry person off the phone? Most likely is they looked up "Universal" in their knowledgebase, saw Universal HD listed and said "why yes we do have that channel". Pretty easy mistake to make, again for a CSR who isn't going to know the difference anyway.

Good luck.

#18 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:58 PM

bonscott87, Simple - CSRs are our ONLY way to talk with DirecTV. They're D*'s voice and act in an official capacity.

That said, D* really does need to up the training for these folks.

#19 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:25 PM

just so I am clear..

I want to know..

No sir, I'm not calling anyone a liar. I pointed out that there are no CSRs in New Guinea or Malaysia.

For that matter, there are none in Mississippi either. I'm simply trying to set the record straight. The vast majority of call centers that D* uses are in the United States.

I can tell you that no CSRs are told to lie to anyone. Why on earth would D* do this?

It's unfortunate you were given incorrect information. If you wish, I'm available via PM and will be happy to address questions you have (if I'm able to answer them).

Again, my apologies if my response was misinterpreted, but there are no call centers in New Guinea or Malaysia (or Mississippi) as originally stated.

Thank you

Edited by Satelliteracer, 14 February 2010 - 04:40 PM.

#20 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:39 PM

bonscott87, Simple - CSRs are our ONLY way to talk with DirecTV. They're D*'s voice and act in an official capacity.

That said, D* really does need to up the training for these folks.

The DIRECTV website is a good way to interact as well. A ton of information there and questions will be answered if you send them in.

spam firewall