Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

I was told that Universal sports was to be turned on...

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   susanandmark

susanandmark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 430 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 01:33 PM

Ion is not just a subchannel. It is a cable channel with local affiliates. Universal Sports is not. It is provided by NBC as only a sub-channel.

So, ask NBC to provide it as a cable/satellite channel THEN you can ask DirecTV for it.

Many cable systems carry Universal Sports and Universal Sports HAS offered their channel to DirecTV and, in fact were in serious negotiations a while back, that didn't pan out (obviously).

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   D-Bamatech

D-Bamatech

Godfather

• Banned User
  • 378 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 01:38 PM

No one is telling CSRs to lie to anyone.

Nor is there propaganda "channels" here in this forum either:rolleyes:

ZZoom Zooom... as "the Racer" leaves the line. :lol:

#28 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 996 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 06:07 PM

well in like 5 1/2 years I have 500 posts.. so less then 100 posts a year.. some guys have 100 posts in a month..

its like one post every 30 days..

so no.. I don't complain a lot.. not in the least.

#29 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:09 AM

I'm wondering if the CSR wasn't confused and talking about Universal HD instead. Did they turn on Universal HD for everyone during the winter olympics? I'm pretty sure they gave it to everyone during the summer olympics (I've always had the HD Extra pack so I already get it).

#30 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,666 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 16 February 2010 - 04:07 PM

99% of the DirecTV CSRs are complete idiots. There is no reason to ever try to call them for information. It is bad enough when you have to call to try to get something done, but if you want correct information, you should just ask your Magic 8 Ball or the IRS as they are more likely to have correct information than DirecTV CSRs.

Actually, the real galling thing about this is that these CSRs should just know when to shut up. I would rather hear stories about "stupid" CSRs who didn't know the answer to such and such than to hear about them giving incorrect information.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#31 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 04:31 PM

99% of the DirecTV CSRs are complete idiots. There is no reason to ever try to call them for information. It is bad enough when you have to call to try to get something done, but if you want correct information, you should just ask your Magic 8 Ball or the IRS as they are more likely to have correct information than DirecTV CSRs.

Actually, the real galling thing about this is that these CSRs should just know when to shut up. I would rather hear stories about "stupid" CSRs who didn't know the answer to such and such than to hear about them giving incorrect information.

That's a pretty all encompassing statement to make unless you have in fact talked to 99% of all the DirecTV CSR force. It is also pretty unkind.

How much do you expect from a minimum wage job? Anyone who has been around here for any length of time knows better than to ask CSR's about new HD channel information.

I have had the opportunity to deal with several CSR's on an occaissional basis and have found them to be uniformaly polite and helpful. They handled my issues quickly and efficiently.

Of course I didn't call them up to raise cain about Versus or to attempt to get information about upcoming channel announcements either as I KNOW that both would be fruitless.

If you want to complain, do it in writing via email. Don't take it out on a defenseless CSR who probably doesn't know what you are babbling about.

Screaming at the hired help does absolutely no good. Target your complaints at the people who make the decisions.

Ranting on and on about Universal Sports because of a comment from a CSR who probably looked at a sheet and saw "Universal HD" and didn't know any better is pretty petty.
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#32 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,014 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 16 February 2010 - 04:54 PM

That's a pretty all encompassing statement to make unless you have in fact talked to 99% of all the DirecTV CSR force. It is also pretty unkind.

How much do you expect from a minimum wage job? Anyone who has been around here for any length of time knows better than to ask CSR's about new HD channel information....

...Screaming at the hired help does absolutely no good. Target your complaints at the people who make the decisions.

Ranting on and on about Universal Sports because of a comment from a CSR who probably looked at a sheet and saw "Universal HD" and didn't know any better is pretty petty.

Ditto

#33 OFFLINE   kikkenit2

kikkenit2

Icon

• Registered
  • 684 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:46 PM

The secret to getting a knowedgeable csr that speaks english well is say "protection plan" when you call. Works every time. Part of the $6 per month that makes it worth it. And I call csr's for 1 good reason. Credits. Cash. Try to get that in an email. Universal sports hd doesn't have much during the olympics but most of the winter ski racing is decent. This programming in hd is now available and I don't want to connect an antenna to watch it. If only that worked for versus.

#34 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 894 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:34 PM

I have found a good way to get info on D* is to use their Twitter account. They'll answer your questions if you ask them. They clearly responed a week before the Games started they would not be adding US back at this time. US is asking people to go and request it via an email to D*. Calling a CSR won't get you much of an answer because what they know is what they see in front of them. Also, getting upset with SatRacer when he answered your claims won't get you much help either.

#35 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:46 PM

A little harsh. These people are good people and they have a very difficult job to do. Anyone that has ever had to do one of these jobs, it's a very difficult position especially for a business that can be highly technical in nature. I would say based on the customer satisfaction surveys, etc, that these people get it right the vast majority of the time.

Though I enjoy these forums very much, the downside is that you mostly only hear the negative things. People that are happy, satisfied, etc don't often take the time to say such things. It's human nature (I know, I used to run a sports blog for many years).

#36 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 764 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:50 PM

A little harsh. These people are good people and they have a very difficult job to do. Anyone that has ever had to do one of these jobs, it's a very difficult position especially for a business that can be highly technical in nature. I would say based on the customer satisfaction surveys, etc, that these people get it right the vast majority of the time.

Though I enjoy these forums very much, the downside is that you mostly only hear the negative things. People that are happy, satisfied, etc don't often take the time to say such things. It's human nature (I know, I used to run a sports blog for many years).

I agree with you.....and as I have said before, every good experience I have with CSR's I give pos feedback to their supervisors. Anytime anyone has to deal with the general public in their line of work (like myself) on a day to day basis all day long, it can get pretty difficult.

Customer since 1998.  13 DirecTV HD-DVR's including 11 AM21's, a Genie, a GenieGO, 3 HR10-250 deactivated OTA tuners, and many TV's!

#37 OFFLINE   davidatl14

davidatl14

Icon

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:48 AM

Check your math. It's 1 every 3 days.

Spot on.

Constant gnashing of teeth and wailing
May The Best of Your Past be the Worst of Your Future!

#38 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:42 AM

Agreed. Everyone here knows not to call CSR's and ask questions like these, and if they do, they should know better than to believe the answer.

It's the people that post "The CSR told me X is coming, or that X was coming and now its not here!!", are the ones that should be flogged.

This includes the OP, because someone with 524 posts knows better.
65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#39 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,666 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:57 PM

How much do you expect from a minimum wage job? Anyone who has been around here for any length of time knows better than to ask CSR's about new HD channel information.

I have had the opportunity to deal with several CSR's on an occaissional basis and have found them to be uniformaly polite and helpful. They handled my issues quickly and efficiently.

Of course I didn't call them up to raise cain about Versus or to attempt to get information about upcoming channel announcements either as I KNOW that both would be fruitless.

If you want to complain, do it in writing via email. Don't take it out on a defenseless CSR who probably doesn't know what you are babbling about.

Screaming at the hired help does absolutely no good. Target your complaints at the people who make the decisions.

Encompasing? perhaps, unkind? likely, accurate, absolutely!

I have been with DirecTV since 1995 and customer service was awesome until around 2000. At that time, it went to hell. Have I spoken to 99% of the CSRs? Obviously not. Nevertheless, since 2000, EVERY CSR I have spoken to (with one exception) has either given me incorrect information, screwed up my account/receivers, or both. Most have been nice and courteous while screwing things up, but in the end, they have still screwed things up.

As for sending an email, have you ever tried that? At least when you call, you get a clueless CSR who will talk wrong to you. If you email, you get a machine generated canned response that is tangentally related to the subject you wrote to them about. Look through these forums for all the examples of useless canned email responses.

You see, everyone who makes excuses for shoddy customer service uses the "minimum wage" defense. That's all well and good, but how is it that the minimum wage CSRs before 2000 were awesome? How is it that the minimum wage CSRs at Sprint are awesome? Have you tried the minimum wage CSRs at HP? Stellar! Even the minimum wage CSRs at Charter Communications are better than the DirecTV ones, but not by a lot. The aides at the school where I work are barely minimum wage, and they work their tails off. Substitute teachers rarely make much better than minimum wage, but we wouldn't excuse shoddy work from them on a par with the CSRs at DirecTV.

Now, I don't know who has been screaming at the hired help, but I have never even raised my voice with them. I have always contained my frustration, spoken clearly and evenly with them, and been polite (then I come here and post their stupidity to vent) :D

Bottom line, these CSRs are the front line representing DirecTV to most people, and they do it badly. Most people don't come here first, and most people don't know that the CSRs are clueless. Most people just call their provider when they have a question. We're a very small minority of DirecTV customers here. It can be hard to remember that, but the vast majority of DirecTV customers call DirecTV when something goes wrong.

Nevertheless, like Scott Adams says, you may now continue to imagine more arguments that you think I have made and refute those all you like.

Edited by islesfan, 17 February 2010 - 05:09 PM.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#40 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:39 PM

I've deleted quite a few posts. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. Please stick to the thread topic. Thanks.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

#41 OFFLINE   Alebob911

Alebob911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationCERES,CA

Posted 18 February 2010 - 12:45 AM

Thanks for the "housekeeping".

I've deleted quite a few posts. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. Please stick to the thread topic. Thanks.

#42 OFFLINE   erosroadie

erosroadie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:49 AM

Thanks for the "housekeeping".

Since we're back on topic...

I have Universal Sports OTA in Chicago (5-3). AFAIK, it is not showing any Olympic coverage. Skiing, snowboarding, ice skating? Yes, but of old events, not current Olympics.

And it's all in glorious SD...:grin:

#43 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,014 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:36 AM

I believe the only thing on U-Sports concerning the Olympics were taped highlights from Vancouver. I don't get it OTA so I'm not sure when during the day they do that.

#44 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 894 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 11:53 AM

US seems to be donig most of their coverage in the mornings. They have a couple of different shows and are using pretty decent talent in Stacy Dales, Jimmy Roberts, and Terry Gannon. It's pretty much a review of what happened the night before with the various analysts. They also have a 1/2 hr show that Jimmy Roberts is hosting with various Olympics journalists.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...