Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

R15-100 Problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TiredJim

TiredJim

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:45 AM

My DVR has an increasing number of problems. Most of the problems are when I'm watching a recorded program and it suddenly loses audio or sometimes pixelates and I lose several seconds of audio and visual. Also it sometimes hangs when I am fast forwarding commercials. I'll have to cease fast forward for a period and then start again. As I said, these issues are occurring much more frequently. Sometimes the lost of audio/visual is so severe that I just have to delete the recording.

I have done resets but haven't done the reset everything because I don't want to lose all of my unwatched recordings. Are these issues a sign of hard disk failures and, if so, must I buy a new recorder or will Directv do something for me. I don't think I have any warranty on the R15.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,225 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:56 PM

What you state can be symptons of a failing harddrive. However, there are other things that could be at work. Does the pixelation/audio issues also occur during Live TV or is it only on recordings? What are the signal strengths for your receiver. Low signal strength can also cause the issues you mention.

As for replacing your DVR, if it is a leased receiver then DirecTV will replace it for the cost of shipping ($20). You will not have you contract extended for this. If you own your receiver (less likely), you will have it replaced for the cost of shipping, but it will require a new 2 year commitment and the replacement will be a lease. If you have the Protection Plan, the replacement is at no cost with no commitment extension.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   TiredJim

TiredJim

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:42 AM

Thanks for your response. The pixelation only occurs during recordings. My signal strengths are strong. I guess it's more llikely a hard drive issue. Do you know if Directv will require me to send them my receiver before receiving a replacement?

#4 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,225 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:28 AM

They will work the replacement in one of two ways:

1. Send a tech out to determine if the issue is truely with the receiver. If so, they will replace the receiver right then and take the old one with them.

2. Send out a replacement receiver and a recovery kit. Once the new receiver is activated, you package up the old one and send it back.

With the first option, there is the potential you will have to pay for the tech visit. It is generally $49 or so, although some people do get the fee waived as a courtesy. If you have the Protection Plan, there is no charge for the tech visit.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#5 OFFLINE   TiredJim

TiredJim

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 11:02 AM

Thanks for the info.