Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

why does usa vs canada game have to be on msnbc? and not cnbc or usa?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,192 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 06:44 PM

msnbc HD is not on that many systems while cnbc and usa are.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 06:54 PM

You'd have to ask NBC Universal that question.

#3 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 06:56 PM

You won't like the answer...

NBC has determined that the ratings for this game will be lower than for the other events scheduled. They are particularly concerned with the lack of "female" appeal of the game and the other events scheduled have a much higher chance of drawing that audience.

I told you wouldn't like it, but like it or not, that is how NBC is thinking and I know that this isn't liked but in spite of Hockey having some of the most rabid sports fans around... your numbers aren't what they used to be.
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#4 OFFLINE   Radioactive_Toy

Radioactive_Toy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 07:15 PM

You won't like the answer...

NBC has determined that the ratings for this game will be lower than for the other events scheduled. They are particularly concerned with the lack of "female" appeal of the game and the other events scheduled have a much higher chance of drawing that audience.

I hate to agree, but thats as dead honest as its going to get. The US vs. Canada, while prolly a huge draw for ratings in Canada, just wont have the same ratings draw as say a figure skating event would at the same time. As much as a lot of us enjoy watching hockey, and really want it in HD, its just not gunna happen. Epic Fail on D* for not having MSNBC-HD setup for these games, even if its only 2 weeks and goes back to SD after its over. I already called and complained about it with them and was giving my little something to make up for it..

#5 OFFLINE   Lincoln6Echo

Lincoln6Echo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 07:34 PM

Oh, this is an Direct TV thing? 'Cause I was gonna say MS-BS is in HD on E*.
END OF LINE

#6 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:03 PM

Hockey is what I want to watch.. Thanks D* for not giving us MSNBC HD.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#7 OFFLINE   beachmonkey

beachmonkey

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:15 PM

Just goes to show, D* doesn't care about their reputation and business practice. After all, they did lie about having an All-HD Olympics for weeks and weeks and even advertised it as such on the day of the Opening Ceremonies. They did indeed sweep it under the rug and act as if they never advertised it as such. NBC isn't to blame as they are just following their audience and historic data. Blame Darth Vader and whoever else is on the D* board for this lame fiasco. It won't be forgotten for a long time, even if they shoot the moon with D12.

#8 OFFLINE   wallybarthman

wallybarthman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:18 PM

Oh, this is an Direct TV thing? 'Cause I was gonna say MS-BS is in HD on E*.

Definitely. My local cable company has MSNBC HD and it was almost enough to convince me to keep it for another month until the Olympics were over - but then common sense prevailed and I cancelled and will put up with the SD version. But yes - MSNBC has been available in HD for a while, DirecTV just doesn't have it.

Westinghouse 37'' LCD 1080p Monitor / PS3 / HR24-500 w/AM21 OTA Tuner / Mac Mini
Vizio 42'' LCD 720p TV / Panasonic Blu-ray Player / Mac Mini / HR22 w/ AM21 OTA Tuner and HR22

#9 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,192 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:33 PM

. Epic Fail on D* for not having MSNBC-HD setup for these games, even if its only 2 weeks and goes back to SD after its over. I already called and complained about it with them and was giving my little something to make up for it..

NBC may of said no to doing that. IT's not like D* can put it for 2 week and then drop it.

MSNBC is not that good in ratings and that's why many cable systems do not have it.

#10 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,192 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:34 PM

But yes - MSNBC has been available in HD for a while, DirecTV just doesn't have it.

So does comcast Chicago land

#11 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,170 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:55 PM

Blame Darth Vader...

!Devil_lol

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#12 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 11:09 PM

It won't be forgotten for a long time

I agree, I'm sure the 10 people on here who really care will never forget. And I'm sure DirecTV is incredibly worried about what all 10 of them will do.

#13 OFFLINE   frank_gore

frank_gore

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 02:24 AM

Actually USA/Canada women's hockey game was shown live on USA at 2pm CT yesterday...

#14 OFFLINE   Mark L

Mark L

Godfather

• Registered
  • 281 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:33 AM

Because we live in a sick corporate money hungry society that only cares about advertising and blasting our ears with 100+ db commercials of Luke Wilson and crappy AT&T service :nono2:

NBC is in 4th place for a reason, they're idiots.

I've vented enough on these Olympic games. Not being able to watch them live is enough for me, I tried and tried to find another avenue to watch them live, but I can't find anyone with a Slingbox in EST or CST

So I'm done with the Olympics.

DirecTV customer since October 2002, 5 LNB Slimline Dish, SWiM 16, Premiere package, HD package

9 receivers: (3) HR20-700s *2 Owned, (1) HR21-700, (1) HR22-100, (1) HR23-700, (1) HR24-200, (1) H21-700, (1) H24-100

#15 OFFLINE   Unknown

Unknown

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 06:54 AM

Actually USA/Canada women's hockey game was shown live on USA at 2pm CT yesterday...

USA play China yeterday, not Canada.

#16 OFFLINE   njblackberry

njblackberry

Icon

• Registered
  • 653 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 06:58 AM

Hockey fans get confused a lot. Too many pucks to the head.

#17 OFFLINE   blackhawkzone

blackhawkzone

Godfather

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 11:51 AM

i think that your beef here is with directtv, not nbc. the channel is available in hd, directv doesnt carry it for whatever reason.

nbc knows that people will call up and demand the channel because of this, so it is win win for them.

#18 OFFLINE   Cyber36

Cyber36

Legend

• Registered
  • 274 posts
  • LocationByron NY

Posted 15 February 2010 - 11:58 AM

Sooo...... the game is actually scheduled to be shown when????

#19 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,249 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:15 PM

Please, let us keep this thread on the topic of USA vs. Canada on msnbc. I've deleted several posts there were extremely off topic.

Thanks,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#20 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 898 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:32 PM

An alternative is to watch the game live on NBCOlympics.com. It'll be in HD.

spam firewall